How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    We spend about $125 per week (2 adults, 2 kids). I wish we could save $$$ by going to the farmer's market, but I find around here it's actually more pricey than the supermarket. ??!?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Family of 6, and rarely we do we out to eat, else it may be shifted ... but for us about $800-$1000 per month ... so 200-250 per week ... and buying relatively healthy food (much of it organic) it can be very tight sometimes.

But of course, country/state/area/store can vary greatly.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    have 3 adults, and 1 child, and we spend about 75ish every week. I also go to Aldi, which allows me to get milk and produce much cheaper than any where else i've seen.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    We probably spend between $400-$500 a month for a family of 2 adults and 2 children ages 2 and 4 (the 2 and 4 year old eat ALOT) I actually just started keeping track of my receipts this month so we'll see a closer number (hopefully not higher) but that's my assumption. We shop at Costco, food maxx, trader joe's and whole foods. Just depends on what we're looking for or are in need of at the time.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    An inSANE amount.

I have a spouse, three children (one of whom is a full-grown man), a dog, a cat, and a hamster. We all pack our lunches every day and we rarely eat out. We eat mostly organic, all natural, with minimal processing. Additionally, my kids often have friends spend the night(s) and they eat too.

Including pet food/products, personal items, paper goods, and cleaning products, I spend between $275-$300 per week.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There are two of us here and we spend about $50 a week. I have a garden so much of what we eat is from there. We only eat meat a couple times a week and I rarely buy convienence foods, so I think that's a big money saver. I normally cook something (eggplant parmesan or pasta salad or vegetarian lasagna) on Sunday and we both eat them during the week as lunch.

We normally eat breakfast out on the weekends, and go out for dinner once or twice a week (but at least one of those dinners is Subway or Panera...something simple and not expensive).

I'm just outside of Chicago.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Anywhere from $50-$75 depending on what I need to stock up on and where I'm shopping.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I spend between $150 - $200 a week for a family of 5 (3 boys too). We eat as "clean" as we can and don't eat out or fast food. I take leftovers to work for lunch too.

About the same here, except just 2 kids and 2 adults. We eat very clean/raw/organic and it's definitely more expensive.
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska too!!!! I go to the store every sunday and I am LUCKY if I spend less than $200 on my grocery.
    And that is only on Fruits and Veggies =(
  • Fluffykristi
    Options
    I would say about $325 a week - I am feeding 4 adults and 5 children.
    Back before we are "healthy" we spent around $200 a week
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on the budget. We shop once or twice a month because of the gas. ( country living) I have a garden ,chickens and eat wild game. Deer, fish etc. I also forage. Berries, salad greens and whatever. We spent 300 this month. I feed 5 and often 6 people a day. Some monthes I spend double that. I am a great bargain shopper. I just cooked the last of hamburger meat that I bought for 1.25 a pound yesterday. I got it 3 months ago. Stocking up on deals really help. I ALWAYS check the discount bins. Cook mostly from scratch.
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    150-200, and that is for 5 , but it also includes non-food items ie: laundry soap and such....
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have budgeted $100 a week. It varies, but it seems to me that's the average. I only buy organic eggs, organic or grassfed meats, and sprouted grain bread (which gets eaten very slowly). Cheeses get expensive as well. What really helps is the co-op is $16.50 every 2 weeks, and I do a decent job of getting the produce to stretch. When you're not spending stupid amounts on produce, you can better afford expensive meats and such. I also do most of my own cooking. And there are 2 of us.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    We have a family of 3 (2 adults, 1 teenage girl) and we spend about $150/week on food. When we were eating unhealthy, we spent about $100/week because we bought a lot of frozen dinners, chips, pop, and crap food. Now that we buy all fresh fruits and veggies, and fresh lean meats from the butcher shop we spend a lot more. It's funny, I spent over $5 for apples, but it cost only $1 for a bag of Kroger brand potato chips. A watermelon is $4.99, but a gallon of Kroger Ice Cream is $2.50.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would think that the government wants us to be fat so that we're unhealthy and they can control the population that way ;)

Processed foods suck. Yummy, but they suck!
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Too much.

Probably around $150ish a week for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 3 cats...counting cleaning supplies/litter etc.
  • sparkle1908
    sparkle1908 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live alone so I can get away with spending abt $50 a week on groceries...I buy some fresh fruit/veggies but I also buy them frozen for later use...and they are normally on sale....
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    $87 every two weeks on family of 4 (kids are only 5 and 2) plus an extra $50 a week flexible funds because you don't always want to cook what's on the menu even if you thawed everything. that flex money also covers inviting extra guests to dinner or saying I don't want to cook tonight and ordering pizza. I guess that averages to 94.50 a week for family of 4. I don't use coupons but found that meal planning made a huge difference, I spent a lot less when buy for two weeks in advance then I did shopping 1 or more times a week. I also seem to waste a lot less.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    About $60 a week for two adults and a 5 year old boy.

I buy as much meat, fruit and veggies as I can and then go from there...
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Myself- $100/2wks,
    Myself and my boyfriend: $100/wk

We eat a LOT of fresh produce, our refrigerator is usually packed with fresh produce. I live in Chicago so its difficult with taxes and finding independent food stores in general!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    $0. Because that's exactly what I have to spend on groceries. Or anything else. It's the oatmeal diet for me this week!