How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Average about $150/week for three (2 adults and a teenager) - that includes household items and the occasional bag of food for the dogs.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150 a week for 2 adults and 3 kids. That includes diapers, wipes, pullups, and other household items.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I live in california and have 3 kids at home, ages 12,14 and 15 and spend between $150-$220 a week on groceries but we have 4 adult children,who all have spouses or fiances and 5 grandkids who we have over anywhere to eat sometimes all together sometimes just one of the families at least 1-5xs a month
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    SF Bay Area, 2 Adults and 2 Teens. I buy lots of organic produce, fair trade, humanely raised, grass-fed, etc. $1500. per month, including lunch or dinner out on occasion, and including household cleaning and paper products and wine for my hubby. I could probably reduce this spending if I started canning or freezing produce. I've got all the equipment, just nervous about doing it the first time. I could also reduce it if family members would agree to eat less meat.

After reading all the other responders, I'm wondering if I need to re-evaluate... I really believe in buying food that is ethically produced, but sometimes I wonder why it has to be my budget that takes the hit. Will it really make a difference in time, or will it just make me poor?
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    we consistenly spend $200/week for 2 adults
    that includes breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner
    lots of fresh fruits and veggies, etc
    it is WAY more expensive to eat healthier for sure!
    that also includes things like dish soap, deoderant whatever we need that week
    not sure what we spend on just food
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    $50 - $80 a week for 2 adults.
    I would like to spend more.. but we cant afford it.
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    Two words - Sam's Club. Great produce and ridiculous low prices. 2.5 lbs of romaine/iceberg blend lettuce for lunder $3, 2.5lbs of asparagus for just over $6, 2lbs broccoli florets for under $3...it doesn't get much better. Meat prices are good, especially on chicken breasts & ground turkey, but you'll have to make sure you have some freezer space.
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine, and price of living is an average of .05% more expensive than the national average. Family of 4, I spent about $120-150/WEEKLY! I am on a low carb diet, so I eat only the expensive stuff. Damn carbs.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    $25-$30 / week - one adult...
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to look into meal planning and coupons!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm so curious, exactly what do you buy? $15 would by me bananas, my milk, strawberries & feta cheese for example. Hardly enough for a week!
    Its just me! so i spend about $50-60 a month, about $15 a week

ETA: And I don't just eat junk food xD
    Yes, this looks impossible to me, unless she eats out a lot! It's easy to save money on groceries if you go to restaurants or get take out several times a week (or not eating junk food doesn't mean the same thing to me).

I spend at least $50-$60 a week (usually quite a bit more) for just myself now that I buy very little that is not fresh fruits, vegetables or meat. Some weeks are more when I'm buying coffee or condiments/marinades, etc. When I used to eat a lot of starchy foods (pasta, potatoes) before dieting, I could easily get my weekly spending down so that I was spending more like $40/week of food.
  • JosianneC
    JosianneC Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I probably spend around 100$ a week just for myself. My spouse does not want to eat whatever I make... he is scared of 'clean eating'. The bill has been going down though. A lot of the things I needed when cooking were spice and whatnot, and I have almost everything I need. Food in New Brunswick is crazy expensive.

I did find that buying that already made meal in the freezer area to be much cheaper XD
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We spend about $150 a week average for a family of 6 (one in diapers), plus 3 cats and a husky. I shop discount groceries, sales, and buy in bulk. You won't catch me buying fruits and veggies out of season, and I cook a lot from scratch. I'm a vegetarian and my family only eats poultry on occasion, so we don't spend much on that. I meal plan, make use of planned leftovers, and rarely have to throw anything out. I could honestly get it lower, but we enjoy fresh and raw food items, which tend to cost more around here.

We're lucky to have a fair amount of storage, so I can take advantage of buying in bulk and storing it. We rarely eat out.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400 per week on groceries and that is for one child and one adult. If I ordered in free range, healthy meat, it would be $500 per week. Warning: don't move to the Arctic unless you have a six figure income. :laugh:
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    Oh, and I spend about $300/month on groceries for 2 ppl (includes household necessities like cleaners, as well as personal hygiene items)
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I actually don't keep tabs on exact amounts per week anymore...

My boyfriend and I each put in $150 cash per pay period (every two weeks) into a "Food Budget" pot (well envelope). And that's what we pull from for both groceries and eating out - basically all food related expenses including snacky things like grabbing a coffee or going out for frozen yogurt. Then it just keeps rolling over. If nothing is in the "Food Budget" (very rare now that we've gotten the hang of it) we try to figure out what to make from what we already have hanging around or don't go out to eat.

It's helped us a bunch... We used to eat out a lot and would do lots of random "let's make this for dinner and spend $50 in groceries" to do so nights. Now, we ask ourselves what's in the budget before deciding if we should go out to eat (which cut down on that a TON) and plan our meals much better and have a much better idea of what's in our pantry, freezer, fridge, etc. :)

Oh, I also participate in a CSA (farm-share) for in season produce.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm so curious, exactly what do you buy? $15 would by me bananas, my milk, strawberries & feta cheese for example. Hardly enough for a week!

I eat a lot of oats, beans, rice, milk, and such :)
    rice and beans are about $1.20 per bag with out 13 servings
    canister of oatmeal is about $2.50 with 30 servings
    I stock up and freeze during sales. Got 4 half gallons of milk last week at 88 cents each! Straight to the freezer
    I work in the deli at a grocery store, so I get a discount on deli meats and cheese
    I buy chicken breast in bulk at around $1.99 per pound
    And go to the farmer's market, or scope out sales on fruits and veggies :) love that walmart will ad match with Aldi's! Got avocados for 49 cents each last week :)
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Yes, this looks impossible to me, unless she eats out a lot! It's easy to save money on groceries if you go to restaurants or get take out several times a week (or not eating junk food doesn't mean the same thing to me).

I spend at least $50-$60 a week (usually quite a bit more) for just myself now that I buy very little that is not fresh fruits, vegetables or meat. Some weeks are more when I'm buying coffee or condiments/marinades, etc. When I used to eat a lot of starchy foods (pasta, potatoes) before dieting, I could easily get my weekly spending down so that I was spending more like $40/week of food.

I almost never eat out actually! I just buy in bulk, and make things ahead :)
    Forced to really watch my food bill since rent is more expensive for me now
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    usually about 150 a week for just me and my daughter and two pets.
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    Adding a bit more as I am looking through my kitchen xD

This week there is a sale on eggs for 99 cent a dozen
    Bread usually goes on sale for cheap
    I bought a ton of canned pumpkin last year when they were on sale after the holidays
    Walmart brand tuna is about 54 cents a can
    Box of pasta is 1.08 a box

My meals seem repetitive though, lots of beans and rice, but with the correct spices I can make endless combinations of cheap food :)