Restaurants are Irresponsible.

Options

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lolol yeah, blame Subway for making you fat.

How about conducting your research BEFORE eating there every day. ;)
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do agree that they can be irresponsible my slicing up the nutrition information in a way that is misleading (for example, not including cheese on the sub when they KNOW the vast majority of people consider cheese an default item).

Subway has improved a little by offering a calculator on your site so you can figure out the exact nutrition information in your order.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Personal responsibility? Never heard of it.
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Supply and demand, dude. If the consumers are demanding more fat the restaurants are going to supply it because that's what sells.

Personally I'm sick and tired of fast food places bowing to the pressure of people like Mrs. Obama. We went out for a fun family day and decided to eat at McDonalds for a treat and I was PISSED when my boys got only a thimble of fries with their happy meal! We don't get to go out to eat every day cause we can't afford it. One happy meal as a treat is not going to make them fat and die! I'm tired of this spoiled generation constantly begging for people to make "smart" choices for them. When I go to Subway, you better believe I'm getting mayo and ALL the fixings. Heck, make it a footlong, I've earned it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

I think its irresponsible to base the majority of their adverizing on how healthy it is and how it is better for you when a realistic experience is rarely close to what they advertize. I dont have as much problem with what they sell and how they sell it as the implication that the majority of what you get there is good for you.

They advertiSe this because as compared to a lot of other places that people pick stuff up at and some of their other menu options a roll, meat, and a load of veggies isn't necessarily a bad option. People need to be responsible for their decisions and stop blaming the producers of food for the fact that they shove food in their pie hole.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Besides the fact that normal fast food places are horribly bad for you, I have even fell in to the trap of Subway being misleading. They have Jared for years telling us about 6 subs with under 6 grams of fat. But when you go to the place (as I do 5 days a week), its much different.

I used to get about what they advertize. I'd get a 6 inch turkey sub. Good so far. Then they immediately ask you what kind of cheese you want and if you say "none" as you would have to to stay under 6 grams of fat, they make you confirm it as if you are abnormal. Move down for veggies and then get your sauce. Virtually all fo them are bad for you. I used to get light mayonase. Its LIGHT so it must not be too bad. The problem is that legally "light" only has to be 30% better for you than the original, no matter how fatty that is. Then the serving size is 1 table spoon, but they would put about 2 times that on the sub. Now at 400+ calories and 17 grams of fat, they want me to get a drink and chips or a cookie. Unless i get a diet coke and no chips or cookies, those numbers go up again. Then double that on the days I got hungry and got a 12" sub.

Bottom line - I was gaining weight eating subway on a regular basis.

These days I still eat there but get a grilled chicken salad with no cheese or dressing and fat free Lays and I net about 250 calories.

I don't see mention in there of a Subway employee holding you at gun point making you order mayo, chips, soda... Don't try and sherk responsibility. Your choices alone made you gain weight, period.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    All of the healthy subs say, in fine print, that the subs have no cheese and no condiments. Their napkins used to show you what as added if you added these...

So, it's not false advertising - if you read the fine print.

Also the Jared thing has always been a little misleading - he walked about 2 miles to his local store and back twice a day, I believe. So, on top of watching the type of sub, he was also walking 8 miles a day.

PS: I didn't factcheck this... don't hurt me.
  • dawnorcutt
    dawnorcutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • dawnorcutt
    dawnorcutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sweet zombie jesus - is today pass the buck day on MFP?

Take responsibility for what you put in your faces and what you do with your bodies, people. Restaurants are in business to make money, not to look out for your waistline or your health. That's your job.

Well said!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Making a sandwich at home takes like ninety seconds.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    low fat fad has to be the longest running diet fad ever.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Its not where you go... its what you get... I ALWAYS EAT at Subway... and 40 lbs lighter i thank subway for healthy on the go options......its one of my favorite places to go when and if i dont cook at home or make a lunch..... but remember IT IS FAST FOOD.... it is just WAYYYY better than MC donalds, burger king, taco bell... I get a 6 in turkey with spinach onion tomato and honey mustard...no cheese...no mayo.... its under 400 calories...

You decide what you eat..... you decide the condiments... You dont NEED light mayo.... You dont NEED cheese.... I switch mayo with mustard for a healthier option.... Dont blame them for what u choose to put on your sub NO COMMERCIAL with jared ever said he was eating a Turkey sub with 3 tablespoons of mayo, bacon, cheese, etc.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Press the off button.
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

Yup.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I used to work at subway, so often you get way more than the serving size on sauces, it also wasnt uncommon to fill light mayo bottles with regular mayo when we ran out. So much food was expired, and since the owners were horrible at ordering food, half the time our turkey/ham/tuna/ etc were from the grocery store, the cheapest we could get, so there goes your fat and sodium for the day. Don't get me started on the sanitation issues, I quit when they asked me to lie to the health inspector. Not all subways are like this, but I have severe resturaunt trust issues now. People never knew we were serving them garbage that at the best wasn't as healthy as they thought, at worst could make them sick.
    By the way, the chicken is really reconstituted chicken product/parts :P

This made me want to vomit
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sweet zombie jesus - is today pass the buck day on MFP?

Take responsibility for what you put in your faces and what you do with your bodies, people. Restaurants are in business to make money, not to look out for your waistline or your health. That's your job.

Amen

FWIW Jared the Subway Guy did drop over 200lbs eating pretty much exclusively at Subway and no one has ever made a secret of the fact that his subs were no mayo, no cheese. I brown bag it most days (yeah, I'm a cheapskate accountant) when I do order out for lunch it's usually Subway because I like the food.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    On the surface of things I totally understand what the OP is saying. Subway spends millions of dollars advertising themselves as the "healthy" alternative. However, like many food labels, the information they put out there is totally misleading. I remember looking at a small bag of something recently and noticing that the per serving numbers where pretty low. Then I noticed the number of serving per container and laughed. Subway is pulling pretty much the same trick.

Yes, you can eat a low calorie, low fat "meal" at Subway. If you have meat, lettuce, bread and nothing else. I won't even go into the crap that is other fast food establishments "food". I sometimes have a hard time accepting that I once ate that crap on a regular, almost daily basis.

But then comes that oft forgotten, frequently unused but very important aspect of being a human. Personal responsibility. You and you alone are responsible for the choices you make. Places like Subway are there to make money and provide a service. Eating at a fast food restaurant and complaining about unhealthy food is like going to a bar and complaining about drunks, or strip club and complaining about naked women. You should know what you're getting into before opening the front door.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    19896563.jpg
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of those kinds of places. I bring my lunch to work and even dinner when I'm in school. I'm lucky enough that if I ever don't have enough time to pack a lunch, whole foods is 10 minutes away from my work and I can hit up their salad bar.

And honestly, I met Jared the subway guy last September at the Boston Heart Walk and he doesn't seem all that fit.