Restaurants are Irresponsible.

Options

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    See, I work at Mr. Sub which is the Canadian homegrown equivalent and because I've worked there for so long I've developed a taste for only one sort of sub and it's what I get at Subway as well, a Veggie on Whole Wheat or Multigrain, no cheese, all veggies except for lettuce (sometimes I get cheese when I'm at work to treat myself), no sauce and just pepper.

It's not hard to eat right when going to Subway, but you need to know to stay away from sauces, cheese and white breads and pack in as many veggies as you can.

I don't realy seem them as misleading or irresponsible, I just think people are misinformed. They see vegetables and instantly figure it's healthy. You are responsible for your own decisions, no one else.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are irresponsible is like saying "guns kill people". When in reality people with guns kill people. So, bottom line "Food doesn't make you fat. Food CHOICES make you fat."

And, yes, restaurants are irresponsible and out to make a quick buck at the expense of your health, it's true. One of the many reasons we have an obesity epidemic.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

I disagree. I do think people should make better food choices but restaurants ARE irresponsible. They try to hide their nutritional information as much as possible and try to mislead costumers. Not everyone has a computer or phone to do the research before they buy a certain type of food.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    SPOONS MADE ME FAT!!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

This! But I applaud your apparent trolling technique.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm all about personal responsibility (i'm from the midwest, i have to be!) but i do think subway's marketing is incredibly misleading. they claim to be a healthy alternative to fast food, but they're just another fast food restaurant. that's fine, but call a spade a spade. don't pretend like you're something you're not.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used to work at subway, so often you get way more than the serving size on sauces, it also wasnt uncommon to fill light mayo bottles with regular mayo when we ran out. So much food was expired, and since the owners were horrible at ordering food, half the time our turkey/ham/tuna/ etc were from the grocery store, the cheapest we could get, so there goes your fat and sodium for the day. Don't get me started on the sanitation issues, I quit when they asked me to lie to the health inspector. Not all subways are like this, but I have severe resturaunt trust issues now. People never knew we were serving them garbage that at the best wasn't as healthy as they thought, at worst could make them sick.
    By the way, the chicken is really reconstituted chicken product/parts :P

grosss this is why i eat at home!
  • mrsdutra07
    Options
    Yeah but..... there's a lot of false implications in advertising. It's a business. Victoria's Secret isn't going to make 99% of the population hot and Slim Fast isn't making anyone's butt any smaller so.... it's up to the buyer to do the research. Trusting the media is like trusting someone elses dog.

or a politician.... equally as deceptive.

I understand both sides here. Personally, I am a believer in an "everything in moderation" plan. If you MUST have a cookie, forego something else or go burn it off on a run.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sweet zombie jesus - is today pass the buck day on MFP?

Take responsibility for what you put in your faces and what you do with your bodies, people. Restaurants are in business to make money, not to look out for your waistline or your health. That's your job.

Well said!

Agree!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at Subway, just because I think it's gross, but at my fav sandwich place I can make my sandwich as good for me or as bad for me as I want. Because, like Subway, YOU are in control of what goes on your sandwich. The nutritional information at Subway is listed right there on the counter window, and they plainly state that the advertised calorie/fat count is without cheese or condiments.

Sure, nutrition info can be misleading (i.e. serving size vs servings per container etc), but it's up to us as consumers to read the fine print and make educated choices regarding what we're putting into our bodies. Just like McDonald's new campaign for their "Under 400 calorie" and "Under 300 calorie" menu choices. Sure, an Egg McMuffin has under 400 calories, but there's also the cholesterol, fat, carbs, and sodium to take into account.

I wouldn't say restaurants are irresponsible, but I would say that we as consumers need to educate ourselves better and take more responsibility for what we're consuming. After all, the choice to eat at Subway, or wherever you choose, is YOUR choice.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not irresponsible. We are adults. We are responsible for ourselves.

I never had a problem with Subway, they plainly tell you which toppings and sauces you can put on your sub to keep it under 6 grams of fat and I always chose water and no chips or apple slices. But that's just me.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    unfortunately you still have to think for yourself
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    They have a list of all of their ingredients online and the nutritional value that you can print out. I did my research before going and calculated what I liked versus what is 'healthier' for me. I then watched them as the sandwich artist constructed this work of art and specifically told this artist "Easy on the mustard" they they put a dollup and asked if that was too much. I then said "No that is good, thank you." and left with just my 6 inch turkey/pepperjack on wheat sub and went back to work and had my sammich and water for lunch and saved the fruit I brought from home for a snack later in the day. Plan ahead is what is best. Good luck on your mission. :flowerforyou:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

don't blame a restaurant because you don't double check nutrition info.

ditch the bread, get the meat and cheese on a salad. fat isn't as unhealthy as you're making it out to be.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    Responsibility lies with the one making decisions on what to eat in the restaurant.

I agree with this. You know what's healthy and what's not. It's not Subway's responsibility to tell you what you need to eat, it's yours and yours alone. They ask if you want soda and chips/cookie to try to make more money, it's their job. You are more than welcome to say no, and get just a water. if you only want 1 tbls of mayo, you can say "1 tbls of mayo only" VERY easily. Subway make this so easy too do. I don't believe they have stated that everything they have is healthy. They have stated that you can get a low fat sandwich and low cal sandwich, which is actually possible. I still believe that choosing subway over wendy's or mcdonad's etc is much healthier.
  • ssappy44
    ssappy44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah but..... there's a lot of false implications in advertising. It's a business. Victoria's Secret isn't going to make 99% of the population hot and Slim Fast isn't making anyone's butt any smaller so.... it's up to the buyer to do the research. Trusting the media is like trusting someone elses dog.
    Slim Fast wont make my butt smaller? :( hahaha...that's hillarious! Thanks for the smile!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say restaurants are irresponsible, but I would say that we as consumers need to educate ourselves better and take more responsibility for what we're consuming. After all, the choice to eat at Subway, or wherever you choose, is YOUR choice.

Most of agree. Theres just a widespread mentality that we should have NO responsibility to make good choices. We need Mayor Bloomberg to save us all from ourselves.

If you cant make the.right choice for yourself at a restaurant of any kind, not just fast food, dont go out. Oh wait... then you cant blame someone else for your problem.... now I get it:huh:
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Supply and demand, dude. If the consumers are demanding more fat the restaurants are going to supply it because that's what sells.

Personally I'm sick and tired of fast food places bowing to the pressure of people like Mrs. Obama. We went out for a fun family day and decided to eat at McDonalds for a treat and I was PISSED when my boys got only a thimble of fries with their happy meal! We don't get to go out to eat every day cause we can't afford it. One happy meal as a treat is not going to make them fat and die! I'm tired of this spoiled generation constantly begging for people to make "smart" choices for them. When I go to Subway, you better believe I'm getting mayo and ALL the fixings. Heck, make it a footlong, I've earned it!

less fries won't make them fat and die either.

edited because I didn't mean to be a jerk and I'm sorry if I sounded that way :ohwell:
  • KaidaKantri
    Options

I disagree. I do think people should make better food choices but restaurants ARE irresponsible. They try to hide their nutritional information as much as possible and try to mislead costumers. Not everyone has a computer or phone to do the research before they buy a certain type of food.

Almost any place you go to eat (that I'm aware of) all you have to do is ask for a nutritional menu. A lot of restaurants have these where I live. Or, you could get online and look at what they have and plan on what your going to eat before you leave the house, which is what I always do.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Supply and demand, dude. If the consumers are demanding more fat the restaurants are going to supply it because that's what sells.

Personally I'm sick and tired of fast food places bowing to the pressure of people like Mrs. Obama. We went out for a fun family day and decided to eat at McDonalds for a treat and I was PISSED when my boys got only a thimble of fries with their happy meal! We don't get to go out to eat every day cause we can't afford it. One happy meal as a treat is not going to make them fat and die! I'm tired of this spoiled generation constantly begging for people to make "smart" choices for them. When I go to Subway, you better believe I'm getting mayo and ALL the fixings. Heck, make it a footlong, I've earned it!

less fries won't make them fat and die either. just saying :flowerforyou:

"just saying" That means I'm being a jerk and I know it.