Do you count fruit sugar?

Options
I limit my sugar intake but I hate that it limits my fresh fruit. Bananas, grapes, apples, they are all great for you but they through my sugar way off. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice because it doesn't have all of the same benefits but I don't want to feel bad about having a cookie or granola bar because I also had fruit. What do you guys do?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If we could exclude sugar from foods that we like i'd exclude snickers sugar

Sorry but sugar is sugar, you gotta count it from wherever it comes from
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    yep, it counts, sorry
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do not worry about my sugar level on here at all. I do not eat foods with added sugar, or any processed foods. So all the sugars I get are from natural foods, which our bodies are made to process.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I don't pay attention to sugar just everything else, I always go over it because of fruit but I still lose weight
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    sugar from fruits is a different type than added sugar but still causes insulin spikes which lead to fat storage. I don't eat bananas for this reason, very high sugar content, relatively speaking.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No.

Full disclosure: I don't count ice cream sugar either.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    sugar from fruits is a different type than added sugar but still causes insulin spikes which lead to fat storage. I don't eat bananas for this reason, very high sugar content, relatively speaking.

by that logic, you should avoid protein too
  • manueljw
    manueljw Posts: 15
    Options
    I limit my sugar intake but I hate that it limits my fresh fruit. Bananas, grapes, apples, they are all great for you but they through my sugar way off. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice because it doesn't have all of the same benefits but I don't want to feel bad about having a cookie or granola bar because I also had fruit. What do you guys do?

I include fruit sugars. That is a must because sugars turn to fat when not used.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    was wondering about this too. I started blending up some strawberries/banana/skim milk smoothies for breakfast and it pretty much kills the sugar for the day :grumble:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why even worry about this? Sugar is a carb. Manage your overall carbs and eat whole foods like fruit and you'll be just fine.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I too love my fresh fruit, and I too go over my sugar limits. I don't worry to much about it as a previous poster said, it's all natural sugar, it isn't sugar that has been added for flavor or sweetness. You can count it if you want, but I sure don't. Although I do limit my fruit intake so it isn't absurdly high, I only ever do 2 servings of fruit a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar = carb and if your carbs are moderate, then your fine.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I don't count sugar period.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just count my fruit as carbs.
  • kcdough
    kcdough Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes , limit fruit sugar and carb intake.. things will workout... It's all about discipline... Oh boy...:smile:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about them, it's natural and I have already cut out most of the other refined carbs. I'm low on carbs anyway, I go over protein most of the time...
  • kcdough
    kcdough Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I don't count my fruit sugar. Sugar is sugar is probably true. But I don't have any problems with my blood sugar so I won't worry about it too much. I think all the nutrients of fruits are worth that extra sugar if you're not a diabetic.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I'm not big on tracking macros. I mainly look at calories, but I usually chuckle because I blow all my sugar for the day at lunch eating grapes (frozen). I eat them every day, they are yummy and have not impeded my weight loss.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    don't count sugar. count carbs. better yet, count protein and fat, and let carbs end up where they may.