Egg Yolks as bad as Smoking!?

Options

Replies

• evansproudmama
    Options
    :sad: but, but... I like eggs.

I'm calling shenanigans.

I'd have to agree, I dont see myself couging up a lung or unable to run a mile without huffing and puffing from an egg a day, however give me a pack a day and ill be on oxygen on the side of the track instead of running it! I call BS ;-)
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

haha oh my, i LOVE this
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Gaston, every morning, eats FIVE DOZEN eggs, and that dude's roughly the size of a barge!
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    and just the other day i stumbled on a research that says we should eat more eggs.
    Dude, there is a new study every day with different results. One day is good, next day is bad...
    I go to grandmother for food advice, she's 80 looks like 50 and healthier than most people my age. And eats EVERYTHING in normal amounts.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This topic just got addressed by Mark Sisson on marksdailyapple.com

He gives some good reasons to doubt the legitimacy of the "research". One good reason is that two of the researchers have ties to the statin drug industry.... that alone would be enough for me.

Now this BS research is going to be continually quoted on MFP as more proof that we should all be vegans. OMG.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Interesting. I used to eat the whole egg -- whites and yolk in all -- but no longer eat the yolk since my doctor recommended I don't due to the high cholesterol in egg yolk. I now eat egg whites almost every day to get my protein at meals when I do not want actual meat.

Your doctor has given you bad advice, imo. Doctors generally don't know about nutrition and go along with whatever low fat fad is going on. Cholesterol is made by our bodies and dietary cholesterol has very little effect, if any. Egg yolks have HEALTHY cholesterol and healthy saturated fat. The whites are useless without eating the yolk (something to do with digesting the proteins-you can do your own research if you're interested). An eggs is a WHOLE food.

I hope that your doctor doesn't have you on statins while telling you not to eat egg yolks. Not that I'd be surprised.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

He gives some good reasons to doubt the legitimacy of the "research". One good reason is that two of the researchers have ties to the statin drug industry.... that alone would be enough for me.

How does that make sense?? Why would someone from the statin drug industry want to prove we can lower our risk of CVD through diet? Lower risk of CVD = less prescriptions for statins.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

How does that make sense?? Why would someone from the statin drug industry want to prove we can lower our risk of CVD through diet? Lower risk of CVD = less prescriptions for statins.

That's exactly the point, they don't want us to get healthier through diet. Eggs do not cause cardio-vascular disease, but if they can convince people that it does (like back in the 1980s), another reason to stop eating healthy food and need more statins, or name your drug. Jeez. Perhaps you suspect that no corruption could possibly exist when pharmaceuticals are a multi-billion dollar profit machine? Yeah, I'm probably wrong, but I'll keep eating my eggs, including the yolks and wonder why I feel so good and why my numbers are so much better than average.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here we go again! They just can't make up their minds! :tongue:

My parents eat whole eggs daily, have for years - dad's in his 70's, mom is nearly there, both have good healthy hearts, low cholesterol, etc, etc.

I eat at least two whole eggs 4 or 5 days a week, and will continue to do so.

My dad ate 3 eggs every day for most of his life. He lived until he was 84, he never had high cholesterol or a heart problem.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Gaston, every morning, eats FIVE DOZEN eggs, and that dude's roughly the size of a barge!

But he only has enough biceps for himself.....wait....getting an update...... check that, he has biceps to spare.

But he bites when he wrestles. He is a cheater.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's exactly the point, they don't want us to get healthier through diet. Eggs do not cause cardio-vascular disease, but if they can convince people that it does (like back in the 1980s), another reason to stop eating healthy food and need more statins, or name your drug. Jeez. Perhaps you suspect that no corruption could possibly exist when pharmaceuticals are a multi-billion dollar profit machine? Yeah, I'm probably wrong, but I'll keep eating my eggs, including the yolks and wonder why I feel so good and why my numbers are so much better than average.

Whether or not eggs raise the risk for CVD, not eating them certainly does not, so I still don't see the logic.

I also don't see how what you eat figures into the equation at all. My "numbers" (assuming this means lipid panel??) are good too and I rarely eat eggs because I don't like the taste. But I don't consider that proof that not eating eggs = good lipid panel?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    IMO its ONE study. Lets have some more showing the same. Otherwise IMO, it means, well, not a lot!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Whether or not eggs raise the risk for CVD, not eating them certainly does not, so I still don't see the logic.

I also don't see how what you eat figures into the equation at all. My "numbers" (assuming this means lipid panel??) are good too and I rarely eat eggs because I don't like the taste. But I don't consider that proof that not eating eggs = good lipid panel?

Like I said, I'm probably wrong. As if I am saying just eggs lead to good health! I do believe that they are part of a healthy diet, but if people want to cut eggs and keep eating bread and margarine, go for it (yes, I'm being sarcastic). On the site I mentioned, Mark Sisson gives other reasons why the research is questionable. For me, when I see "research" that tries to demonize what I consider a healthy food, and the researchers have pharmaceutical ties, it matters. It doesn't have to matter to anyone else. It's all just my own opinion.
  • oceansablue
    Options
    I think the bottom line is you just need moderation. Yes, if you consume too much of anything it'll do damage. Even drinking to much water can kill you (although you have to drink an insane amount so don't freak out). Have your eggs and enjoy them but a little variety never hurt anybody.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Every other study that comes out says something different about eggs. They're bad...they're good...they're bad...they're good. FFS eat them if you like them, IN MODERATION, just like anything else in your diet. There. Problem solved.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    That's crap. As bad as smoking? Come on lol. Eggs are good for you, good fat, good protein.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I heard that on the news today and I think it's bs. Eggs are natural and can't be compared to the chemicals and toxins and carcenogens found in cigarettes. I know the study was focused on the heart not the lungs, but still! There may be cholesterol and fat but I feel the protien makes up for it and I don't eat more than 3 eggs a week anyway. I'm still going to keep eating egg yolks because that's the part with the flavor! I bet in a few months we'll hear about another study that shows the benefits of eggs. oh well.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i follow a cigarette with an egg, so i think they cancel each other out.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I had to check out the Harvard "study" because I know their recommendation for egg consumption. The link you provided from Harvard is not a study. It's merely an article saying eggs are the demons they were once made out to be (This has actually been Harvard's stance for decades. They were very critical of the USDA's egg warnings even back in the 80's due to the lack of evidence.)

This is what the Harvard School of Public Health has to say about eggs, which pretty much matches the study mentioned in the OP.
    People who have difficulty controlling their total and LDL cholesterol may want to be cautious about eating egg yolks and instead choose foods made with egg whites. The same is true for people with diabetes. In the Nurses' Health Study and Health Professionals Follow-up Study, heart disease risk was increased among men and women with diabetes who ate one or more eggs a day. (1) For people who have diabetes and heart disease, it is best to limit egg consumption to no more than three yolks per week.

This research doesn't give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians' Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life.

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/eggs/