You know what really bugs me....

Options

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's not really your business, or your life. If it made practical sense my boyfriend and I would be engaged at the least right now. I'm 23 and he's 26.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Wow, really?!
    I wasn't doing this to be judgemental towards them. I actually said that I'm happy for them, and I really am. At least they know where they are going with their lives, I don't.

I never said it was a bad thing for them to choose that direction. I know it's their lives. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm old enough to BE at the point in my life. THAT is where I was going.

I'm not trying to be judgemental towards them. I'm completely happy with my choices, just as I know they are happy with theirs. I was simply stating that it bugs me that I'm at the point in my life now where this happens.

I guess I should have added that to it, made it a little more clear that this was a post about me feeling OLD, not about me hating everyone.
    If this is true, you should learn to express yourself better.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You never know why, nor should it matter, why people make the choices they make.

Judge me if you will, but I had two children by the time I was 19. I also had a hysterectomy at 23 because I had cancer. If I had not had my children so early, I would not have had any. My friends' kids are starting kindergarten - my oldest is starting high school.

I will be all of 37 when my youngest graduates. I will (God willing!) get to experience so much of their lives with them, and it's wonderful.

And, though I was a teen mom, I am doing well financially, and raising my kids right without any help. And I have been cancer free for 9 years. And I would not have it ANY other way. If any of my facebook friends were as judgemental as you are, they would not be my friends.

One, I'm happy that you're cancer free! It does make me happy when someone says they are cancer free since it does run in my family.

and two,
    I'm not being judgemental. I'm not saying that anyone is dumb or crazy for their decisions. I'm stating that I can't wrap my head around that I'm old enough for it to happen.

Geez, You can't state opinions around here without everyone deciding that you're a horrible person.
    Oh, and my friends all know how I feel about it. And they realize that it was my choice not to go down the road they chose, and they also know that I am proud of them for accomplishing what they have being mommys and daddys, because I know I couldn't do it right now.

RAWR - YOU HAD AN OPINION!!!!!

IT DOESN'T MATCH MINE!!!!!

THAT MUST MEAN YOU ARE HORRIBLE!!!!!!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm rather bored at work today so I thought I'd see about posting a topic.

Just post things that really bug you, just get it off your chest. :)

What really bugs me is..
    That I woke up this morning and looked at my Facebook to find that EVERY SINGLE UPDATE was either a picture or a status about their child starting school today. While some were older married women, most of them were ladies my age (23). Their child is either in Kindergarden, 1st grade, or 2nd grade.
    I mean...what happened to waiting. All but about 3 ladies that I know my age are either married, have children, are divorced! some are all three!
    I'm happy for them and glad that they have the cute kiddos (I like kids...and I can give these back after I've given them too much candy), but what happened to just being 23? I feel like im a minority of the ladies I know these days.

If it's any consolation, I feel exactly the same way. It seems that all my friends are getting engaged, married or pregnant. The thought of taking on something so life-changing at this point in my life (also 23!) is pretty terrifying, and honestly also a little sad - I can't really connect with my friends with children since we are essentially at completely different points in our lives.
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree - I don't think she was looking to be judgemental - just had a pet peeve to get off her chest.
    Some people just like to stir the pot.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    You're in the facebook minority. I'm 24 and I feel the same way. It's not malice or anger towards those women who have children and families but its does feel like you're alienated from the conversation when they're so invested in their children (which I understand they should be). I get frustrated with the moms I know that believe my life is less worthy because I'm single and childless (nevermind that I'm a graduate student). I think the judgement goes both ways. Life changes and people change. If you're not experiencing the same life events as another person, it can be difficult to connect with them.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    What happened to just being 23?

Life happens. It's different for everyone. I had my kids at 18 and 21. Although I would never change anything and biologically it was the perfect time to have kids, I wish I had waited and took care of myself. So, now my kids are off to college and married and settled down I will now do at 40 years old what I should have been doing at 23.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    Well, I'm glad to see that there are some other people out there that do feel at least somewhat the same.

I appologize for seeming judgemental, it is not what I meant in any way. I was simply stating what was bugging me this morning, which was the the point of this post.

So, let's move on from everyones opinions and someone else mention something that bugs them, I don't like being in the spotlight anymore.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Why is it that as soon as someone expresses an opinion on here, they are quickly branded as judgmental?

That is what really bugs me, I guess, in answer to the original question of this post.

I've noticed that a lot around here. On any topic really.

How to start an argument on MFP:
    1. Post a topic or discussion concerning anything.
    2. Wait.
    ^^^^ This, except #2 might (notice I say might) be changed to "Blink".
  • Greekc
    Greekc Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL. Don't worry about it. It's just what folk do when you exercise your right to free speech and then think out loud. I'm sure this isn't the first time someone your age said what you were thinking. It's good to know that the power of thinking is still there.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    damn, where were all those 23 year olds when I was 23?

when I was 23, everyone was finishing college and getting their careers going and I was a frumpy mom of a pre-schooler!

and damn now that I'm 37 and my daughter is almost out of the house, the late bloomers are all starting to have babies and have pre-schoolers.

I think WTF!!! quit having kids, I have no friends! LOL!!! ;)
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    At least she isn't the I hate fat people lady.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    ahh well if that's the case, don't feel old. Age is what you make it.
    I'm 10 years older than you and have friends and co-workers who have kids in High School.

I rarely feel old.

And while you may be at different points in your life, this is a natural occurance. Try to keep up with them. They could use the company and fun!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm rather bored at work today so I thought I'd see about posting a topic.

Just post things that really bug you, just get it off your chest. :)

What really bugs me is..
    That I woke up this morning and looked at my Facebook to find that EVERY SINGLE UPDATE was either a picture or a status about their child starting school today. While some were older married women, most of them were ladies my age (23). Their child is either in Kindergarden, 1st grade, or 2nd grade.
    I mean...what happened to waiting. All but about 3 ladies that I know my age are either married, have children, are divorced! some are all three!
    I'm happy for them and glad that they have the cute kiddos (I like kids...and I can give these back after I've given them too much candy), but what happened to just being 23? I feel like im a minority of the ladies I know these days.

i understand completely. im 26. i use facebook to reconnect with people i went to school with or have lost touch with over the past years. most of them have kids, are married and i am the minority (single, never married, no kids). im happy with my choices and not hating on them for theirs. but if i wanted to see pics of your childs first day of school, ill let you know. quit cluttering up my fb lol
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Hun, I have children and had them young, and I know your not being judgemental. Your just say thinking out loud, making conversation, cut the girl some slack everyone. The only people that are being judgemental are the ones that are judging the poster.

Looks like a few hungry grumpy posters on here :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Facebook really bugs me. That's why I no longer have it!
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What really bugs me is when someone posts something and all the judgemental people jump on the bandwagon of being judgemental towards the OP. I am proud of the OP for being 23 and enjoying her life. You go girl!
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Why is it that as soon as someone expresses an opinion on here, they are quickly branded as judgmental?

That is what really bugs me, in answer to the original question of this post.

Bugs me too!!!!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Most of our parents had us when they were that age too... it's called growing up!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wow, really?!
    I wasn't doing this to be judgemental towards them. I actually said that I'm happy for them, and I really am. At least they know where they are going with their lives, I don't.

I never said it was a bad thing for them to choose that direction. I know it's their lives. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm old enough to BE at the point in my life. THAT is where I was going.

I'm not trying to be judgemental towards them. I'm completely happy with my choices, just as I know they are happy with theirs. I was simply stating that it bugs me that I'm at the point in my life now where this happens.

I guess I should have added that to it, made it a little more clear that this was a post about me feeling OLD, not about me hating everyone.
    If this is true, you should learn to express yourself better.

This. Your original post said none of the above-just that it 'bugs' you when your friends (and i use that term loosely, as i wouldnt want any friend of mine to be *****ing about me on an internet forum) post pics of their kids first day at school. Then when people didnt react positively to that, you added the part about being totally cool with it all and just feeling old.