Gold Digging

Options

Replies

• gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like the shirt. I think it's ridiculous that people are getting upset over it. If somebody actually WERE to be a gold digger, I'm sure they wouldn't be broadcasting it with the shirt. I guess the only thing that would help would to have some olympic rings on it... but I'm sure that would cost a lot more money for Nike
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think its funny, i would wear it.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think it's clever! I automatically thought gold medal when I saw it was a Nike shirt, seeing as they sell sport attire which has nothing to do with "gold digging".
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why? Because until I thought about it for a few seconds the Olympics never crossed my mind. And the shirt will be around for years after the Olympics is off anyone's mind.

HAVING thought of the Olympics, I think it's a cute shirt.

But without the Olympics, it sounds like you're working out to look sexy to catch a guy. Panties knotted.
    I agree. I'm not upset over it but I certainly didn't get the meaning until it was explained. If it had some kind of Olympics- or medal-related graphic, it would be more obvious.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    It's controversial.enough to get people talking about it, hut not so much that people are going to have a Nike burning party. Perfect advertising ploy. How many people are going to buy it for the controversy, as opposed to just seeing it hanging in the store? It's not a particularly attractive shirt, but the talk around it will sell it like hotcakes.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Nike intended to cause a stir with a shirt. They are not idiots.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The thing is, it makes no mention of the olymipcs, gold medals, or anything that would make people think that way. It is simply stating Gold Digger and most people are going to assume the obvious and not dig for a deeper meaning. Being that there are plenty of shirts that reflect poorly on people wearing them, it never stops the market from selling them...so I don't think there is anything wrong from the shirt. My HS students wear shirts that say "flirt" "Tease" and all sorts of things like that...no one questions those shirts as they are not made by Nike!
  • CountryCorgi
    CountryCorgi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it's so controversial, is it because it's a Nike shirt? Other than that it's not much different (and quite tame compared to) most novelty tees sold by other companies. It's just a t-shirt, and it evokes no particular feeling of inappropriateness from me.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would totally wear it, after I cut it up to just below the swoosh. Ya dig?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When my son picks his nose I ask him if he's digging for gold, that's the same thing right?
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    I myself think its great.... If you find it offensive maybe you should check your life style... I am proud of all the Americans that have have participated in the Olympics... They worked hard... So whether they won or not I believe we name all of our 2012 Olympics member"Team American Gold Diggers"... Geaux USA
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It would not have been as big a deal if Nike had a men's line with the same logo.......just sayin'
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about it...

When you look at the shirt, it doesn't seem like the second "new" meaning would be immediately obvious to most people. That makes me leery of it. I don't want people's first impression of me to be that I'm after men for their money.

If you think about the shirt, the other meaning can set in. How often to people really put a lot of thought into what they read on someone else's shirt, though?

In the end, if Nike is really serious about reclaiming this phrase for the positive, they'd better have a pretty strong media program for it... if not, it's just going to go down as a bad joke.

This is so true. Most the time people are going to take a glance, read it, and think the already negative spin on the shirt. The new meaning they're aiming for won't register right away, they're just going to see gold foil and think "it's another one of those types of girls."

It's awesome that they want a positive spin on the shirt, but they should have aimed for something that emphasized gold MEDAL's not gold in the bank.

Personally, I wouldn't wear it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Why? Because until I thought about it for a few seconds the Olympics never crossed my mind. And the shirt will be around for years after the Olympics is off anyone's mind.

HAVING thought of the Olympics, I think it's a cute shirt.

But without the Olympics, it sounds like you're working out to look sexy to catch a guy. Panties knotted.
    I agree. I'm not upset over it but I certainly didn't get the meaning until it was explained. If it had some kind of Olympics- or medal-related graphic, it would be more obvious.

If it had the an Olympic or medal related graphic it wouldn't be nearly as humorous, well played Nike.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I totally support the "new" meaning
    We all need to dig for the gold within ourselves!
    If I can find it I am going to buy it!
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I think its funny. I find it hard to accept an older guy with a young hottie doesn't know exactly why she is there. If both get what they want, more power to them. I played sugar daddy some years ago and it was quite enjoyable.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When my son picks his nose I ask him if he's digging for gold, that's the same thing right?

This was my first thought too! LOL
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I LOVE this shirt! I want one!

I've actually been called a "gold digger" since I started seeing my now husband. It's funny how people judge. Just because he's 8.5 years older than I am doesn't mean he's a rich *kitten*! We live comfortably...but not so comfortably that I don't have to work!

Now I'm off to buy this shirt!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If it had some kind of Olympics- or medal-related graphic, it would be more obvious.
    I'd imagine those images are copyright. It would look great with the olympic rings in the background though (also in gold)
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    people need to settle down, it's a TShirt. Every Sugar Daddy knows that is what he is. Plus the US Women kicked some serious butt at the olympics. Celebrate it.