Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options
I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is the same.

I think most diet forums are the same.

But MFP does have a lot of support and good things too.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    People say mean and cruel things on websites that they would never say to a person face to face. Sad, isn't it? This is what's happening to society.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ive never been on a msg board that wasnt like this. Why you asking so many questions?!?! UGH! :)

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    LOL I have noticed the exact same thing!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Check out the newsvine at MSNBC.COM. It makes this place look tame.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    because nobody is moderating and it is a free for all. like sitting at a bar and hearing anyone and everyone's thoughts out loud..
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree; I'm pretty tired of this site because of all the junk on the forums.
  • chasingskinny
    Options
    I've actually been thinking of leaving MFP for this very reason. It wasn't like this even a year ago. Now, it's just so snarky, I don't bother adding posts to the forum. There are still plenty of nice people on the site, just don't try to find them on the forums. Best of luck in your goals!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The world is evil these days. ;) Trolling is popular..and people think it is the "cool" thing to do. :/ *shakes head*

I have found the best thing to do is to ignore the forums for most part. It helps a lot. I'm here for me and noone else.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    No. You're right. We're all very hungry, very stressed, and very cranky. :)
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread go to pieces, like the one posted two days ago on the same topic did. Let's see how long it will take for this thread to be locked and then deleted. Bet you a chocolate candy bar that it won't make two days!
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Ive never been on a msg board that wasnt like this.

Ditto.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My theory. Heated threads generate repeat views. MFP makes money from ads. Having users return to see the flame fest thus generates more money.

Why close threads that have people coming back again and again when site hits makes yous $$.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I have to say that I too have noticed this trend on almost every thread I've happened to read through when the headline caught me attention. I have been taken aback at times with the level of aggression some of the replies have reached and the attacks to people's characters. It does make one somewhat hesitant to post a comment or concern...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread go to pieces, like the one posted two days ago on the same topic did. Let's see how long it will take for this thread to be locked and then deleted. Bet you a chocolate candy bar that it won't make two days!

^^ I was thinking the exact same thing!
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

There is a certain level of angst on here, but I think the reason why it is a popular site is because people are realistic, yes it is nice to get positive responses but sometimes people are in need of a bit of tough love, change is hard in anything. But when it comes to the physical body, it is one of the single most difficult changes that can be undertaken, if we all just send each other fluff all day, perhaps we will be just that?

On the other hand blatant rudeness is never welcome!
  • mrsheavy
    mrsheavy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i generally dont use the community because i totally agree with you. Im sure 99% of people are lovely but i always seem to see the harsh nasty humans that thrive on belittling people and making people feel afraid to post any genuine concerns etc.... I just had to comment on this one as i agreed so strongly with you! xx
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    It's the internet?

This is actually not that bad when it comes to online forums. Heck, I belong to a DISNEY forum and people get mean over there.

Then again, when people stop crying when someone tells them something they don't want to hear that would help too. Don't start a thread if you are not willing to hear all sides. 99% of the "OMG people are mean" responses I see are from people who don't want to listen to the truth and who only want sunshine and rainbows. Especially with something like healthy weight loss, the truth is VERY important.