Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I notice it all the time, elsewhere. Especially in the comments sections on articles, including fun articles like on Cracked.com. The only place I haven't really noticed it was on goosemoose.com, which is a pet forum. Other than that, I've been told on many other websites that I shouldn't post in the comments section because I'm out of the kitchen. (actually never heard that on MFP, though.)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hi,

There is a certain level of angst on here, but I think the reason why it is a popular site is because people are realistic, yes it is nice to get positive responses but sometimes people are in need of a bit of tough love, change is hard in anything. But when it comes to the physical body, it is one of the single most difficult changes that can be undertaken, if we all just send each other fluff all day, perhaps we will be just that?

On the other hand blatant rudeness is never welcome!

I agree with the fluff bit. I don't want someone telling me I am doing great when I am not but there is also no need to be a complete a$$wipe either. I have just come to realize that manners have went out the door. Hardly anyone has them anymore. :P
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    With something as emotional as body recomposition, I expect to see plenty of both good and evil.

I especially expect to see plenty of insecurity, projecting, pretentiousness, and gratuitous group hugs.
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    For those people who will say - "this place is just like the rest of the internet" - no, it isn't.

YouTube comments or comments on a news story can't be compared to posts in a community forum.

This site's culture is particularly rude.

I suspect there are a lot of cowards and bullies out there who are miserable and want to bring down others.

For anyone wh ois truly struggling, has a sincere question and seeks advice and community support, or has something positive to offer, I hope you continue and wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of health and wellness!

Don't let the NFP trolls get you down.

In the meantime, there should be moderators here. Safe space is important.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

HCG. /Thread
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    For those people who will say - "this place is just like the rest of the internet" - no, it isn't.

YouTube comments or comments on a news story can't be compared to posts in a community forum.

This site's culture is particularly rude.

I suspect there are a lot of cowards and bullies out there who are miserable and want to bring down others.

For anyone wh ois truly struggling, has a sincere question and seeks advice and community support, or has something positive to offer, I hope you continue and wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of health and wellness!

Don't let the NFP trolls get you down.

In the meantime, there should be moderators here. Safe space is important.

I understand what you are saying, but I do want o point out there are PLENTY of mods on this website. If you are having too many issues, you may contact them via PM.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Because: http://i.imgur.com/tdJ1M.jpg

(Not going to create an image since it has a ~BAD WORD in it!)
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Really? I belong to 3 other forums that are actually worse than mfp... And by worse I mean way worse. Mfp is mild honestly.

I figure it this way... You get a group of thousands together with conflicting views values and ideas and you are always going to have issues.

Rude people are every where, whiney babies are everywhere... Its the way the world is... Not everyone is going to vomit rainbows and crap glitter... It just doesn't happen.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    HEY WHY ARE YOU HARASSING US WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, YOUR NAME OFFENDS ME, IT SAYS *kitten*
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I belong to one other community forum. For figure skaters. I think we're all too tired to be snarky.

I spend about 90% of my internet time here. And rarely post there. Here is just more entertaining....
  • mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. I would much rather deal with (and ignore) the few not so friendly people just to get help and advice or support from the nice ones. Pessimism and negativity are everywhere, internet, and real life, but if we give attention to those that give it off, it defeats the ones that are actually trying to help.

Can't fight fire with fire....so whenever I see a comment or post where someone is being an *kitten*, I picture myself dumping a bucket of water on their head and walking away on to the next post from someone who could be genuinely nice :smile:
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    Also - I wasn't talking about sunshine and rainbows - I'm talking about people who post in order to say nothing more than : the person who started this thread is an idiot.

Or - commenter above is stupid.

For those who have never belonged to a forum where peolpe didn't behave this way - I have news for you. It doesn't have to be that way. Just like in any gathering, you may or may not like everyone there, but some behaviour isn't tolerated.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Did you see the movie Elf with Will Ferrell? He lives at the North Pole where the make believe world is full of candy and sweet sugar plums and super nice people who fart candy stripped skittles.

The real world is.......
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The only thing people on this board have in common with each other is that we're all trying to get in shape and control our weight.

That's an issue that spans the gamut of personality types, from the most immature to the most intelligent, so people that you don't usually associate with are here, as well as the type of people that you do.

Other online forums that I frequent are more exclusive in the people that choose to become part of it. People with similar social views, political views, taste in music, hobbies.

But general forums like this one (or parenting forums oh god the pregnancy and parenting forums) are going to attract everyone, so the average quality is brought down.

I agree that moderation, even member moderation/rating like slashdot or reddit , would be helpful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite tame, actually. And what most people think is mean here is really just silliness. I've seen mean. This ain't it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Some people get on a High Horse when they start making improvements in their lives and feel it makes them above anyone that thinks differently than they do.
    I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed there are a lot of 'whiners' here as well.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    What kind of sites do you frequent? I've been to some of the darkest corners of the internet and MFP seems extremely civil and supportive to me.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Also - I wasn't talking about sunshine and rainbows - I'm talking about people who post in order to say nothing more than : the person who started this thread is an idiot.

Or - commenter above is stupid.

For those who have never belonged to a forum where peolpe didn't behave this way - I have news for you. It doesn't have to be that way. Just like in any gathering, you may or may not like everyone there, but some kinds of behaviour isn't tolerated.

Now that you've got all that out - do you feel better?
    You have a choice to read the forum or not. Coming in here and blasting your rant is just fueling the fire - done everyday by self-righteous do-gooders and responded to in exactly the same way. You don't like it? Don't let the door hit ya gbadass on the way out. *shrugs*
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    its because they are hungry