Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I cut my teeth on BBC . . .

It just keeps getting funnier....

:D

bahahahahahaha good lord
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Forums aren't like the real world at all.

Cowards come here to bully because in real life most are too pathetic to say it to anyone's faces.They feel they can hide behind their computer.

words more true, have never been spoken!!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

It sucks, I know :sad:

Why not just ignore the stuff that bothers you? Why let a bunch of strangers and people you will probably never, ever see in real life bother you so much?

Honestly, I just don't like to sift through pages and pages of CRAP just to get some good advice. If I take my time with what I want to say, I save myself time in the end. And reading through a lot of stupid non sense.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you want a forum where everyone is nice and peachy please got to the rainbow&kittens forum.

Ps. It's up to you on how you let comments effect you. Mean, rude, snarky people exist everywhere.

:love:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking of leaving MFP for this very reason. It wasn't like this even a year ago. Now, it's just so snarky, I don't bother adding posts to the forum. There are still plenty of nice people on the site, just don't try to find them on the forums. Best of luck in your goals!

Kidding right? A year ago, another poster told me to shut your fat face fatty over nothing. I do mean nothing. There are always going to be people you don't agree with, people that are rude, people that are snarky.

Well she's got to be kidding. She just said that she doesn't bother adding posts to the forum...IN A POST TO THE FORUM!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

Hours wording your posts? WHY? If you have a question, ask it, stand by it, be prepared for people to disagree. You know, like in the real world. There are a lot of people on this forum who need to grow some cajones.

Why? Because hastily worded comments, questions or solicitations for advice might as well be a giant "KICK ME"" label. Just like your comment...

I ask my questions, and so far, because I take my time thinking through what I want to ask or say, haven't had a problem.

I wasn't trying to hurt you in any way with this comment. I really wasn't. Posting a question or comment shouldn't be such a stressful situation. I was just trying to suggest that you ignore the snark or rude comments. Read them in funny accents, whatever works for you instead of letting it cause stress.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Way down inside some people are just d-bags and it shows when they post. They confuse honesty with sarcasm and forget what their mothers taught them about using good manners. You can always tell who these folks are because they contribute little to any discussion and when someone calls them out on the trolling d-baggery, they sieze on it and over take the conversation to argue their "point".

It's best to not feed the trolls. Ignore them and they'll move on to other forums.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Also - I wasn't talking about sunshine and rainbows - I'm talking about people who post in order to say nothing more than : the person who started this thread is an idiot.

Or - commenter above is stupid.

For those who have never belonged to a forum where peolpe didn't behave this way - I have news for you. It doesn't have to be that way. Just like in any gathering, you may or may not like everyone there, but some behaviour isn't tolerated.

While I have never seen such comments in a thread before, I have seen a couple threads in which a moderator HAD stepped in and deleted posts. My guess is the really heated threads blow up pretty quickly and it takes time for the moderators to know there is a problem.

So... when you see the nasty posts, do you report them to get the attention of the moderators? I'm wondering how many people do. If everyone who saw someone disregarding the Terms of Service and engaging in personal attacks on the OP actually reported the posts, I'm sure they would get taken care of. We, as members of the community, need to also take responsibility for creating the community we want and not just complain. We can't prevent people from acting like trolls, but we can support members when they are attacked and help the mods to know about it.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Hours wording your posts? WHY? If you have a question, ask it, stand by it, be prepared for people to disagree. You know, like in the real world. There are a lot of people on this forum who need to grow some cajones.

Why? Because hastily worded comments, questions or solicitations for advice might as well be a giant "KICK ME"" label. Just like your comment...

I ask my questions, and so far, because I take my time thinking through what I want to ask or say, haven't had a problem.

I wasn't trying to hurt you in any way with this comment. I really wasn't. Posting a question or comment shouldn't be such a stressful situation. I was just trying to suggest that you ignore the snark or rude comments. Read them in funny accents, whatever works for you instead of letting it cause stress.
    Dont worry, Im alright :wink:

I'm a lady, so no growing cajones for me! lol
    I think the problem is that sooo many people ARE afraid to post because of the backlash that WILL inevitably occur. it happens to some degree on nearly every single thread I've looked at. not everyone is super thick-skinned.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Internet- the place where everyone goes because they are tired of pretending they are super nice in real life.

I like getting to say what I want without having to see someone's butt hurt face because I told them the truth they didn't want to hear. I'll take snarky comments and ignorance over faked niceness any day
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    people even get snarky on the chit chat fun forum. You'll have just a couple people playing a game and they have to be total douches...I just ignore it..like they say "please don't feed the trolls" :)
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i just wasted 20 minutes of work reading this........nobody asked for my opinion so im going to give it.

1. if you dont like this place why on earth are you here....why even post a new thread???????
    2. the world is full of weird and meen people mfp is not immune to these folks
    3. i dont understand all this snowflake stuff
    4. people who talk about people causeing trouble are just as nosey and guilty of starting trouble as the people they talk about.

thanks you
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Internet- the place where everyone goes because they are tired of pretending they are super nice in real life.

I like getting to say what I want without having to see someone's butt hurt face because I told them the truth they didn't want to hear. I'll take snarky comments and ignorance over faked niceness any day
    I'm developing a girl crush.
  • cannonsky
    Options

I'm developing a girl crush.

:blushing:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    My least favorite trolls are the people that come into the chit chat forums and demand to know what the topic has to do with fitness. Or the people who come in an make posts and threads asking people why they behave the way they do. Oh, and of course the people who are always saying that society is going down the tubes and not like the good ol' days. Those are my least favorites.
  • cannonsky
    Options
    My least favorite trolls are the people that come into the chit chat forums and demand to know what the topic has to do with fitness. Or the people who come in an make posts and threads asking people why they behave the way they do. Oh, and of course the people who are always saying that society is going down the tubes and not like the good ol' days. Those are my least favorites.

BUT THIS **** BE SERIOUS... there are no fun and games in fitness
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options

The mods are always the worst trolls. Always deleting our shiz.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    There is lots of negativity but I've found there is lots of positive too. I've been inspired and motivated by certain forums. I've also gotten good information and great recipes and ideas. There is always good with the bad. I just don't pay much attention to the bad and stay away from some of the ridiculous forum topics that there seems to be...and there seems to be a lot.

Plus there are always private groups that you can start/be a part of that can drastically cut down on stupidity and negative talk!