How would you fix a deficit of 1500 cal?

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Not all of us are on here to lose weight. I'm in the same boat. My daily goal is 2530 cal NET a day. I eat a ton, but eating clean is MUCH harder to fill all of those calorie requirements. Some days I have to eat 3500 calories to get to where I want to be. Often I find I have to eat something like 1800 calories for dinner. Any suggestions that people have for CLEAN calories would be greatly appreciated. I'm already eating:
    Almonds
    Quinoa
    Pinto Beans
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek Yogurt
    Organic Granola
    Shrimp
    Kale
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Onions
    Garlic
    Egg Whites

Thank you in advance

Add in a few whole eggs (yes, I mean the yolks too). avocado, start cooking with olive oil or coconut oil and throw in some nut butter type stuff too. Also, do you not eat red meat at all?
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    For example:

My TDEE is 2500
    My BMR is 1500

If I told MFP I wanted to lose 2lbs a week it would put me at 1500 cals a day. If I go any lower than that with exercise I'm creating an even larger deficit. If you're 100+lbs overweight that's fine, for a little while. If not, it's just not the healthiest or most sustainable thing to do. Not gonna kill you or anything but if you can treat your body better, be more kind to yourself and still lose, why wouldn't you?

And this....

I don't think guys should be eating back their cals either.

Big muscles and big belly.

NOt attractive.

At first I was :noway: and then I was :laugh:
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

not necessarily true. My BMR is about 1400 Calories. My recommended cal intake is 1200, which is ony a 200 calorie deficit. Having a 500 daily calorie deficit is recommended to lose 1 pound per week. Therefore is I eat 1200 calories and burn 300 during the day I have created the 500 calorie difference and can expect a weight loss of about 1 pound per week. Or am I completely off base? The math makes sense to me...

I'm just going to jump in really quickly and share my two cents. :smile:

The caloric deficit you're referring to isn't actually supposed to be calculated from your BMR. BMR is what your body needs just to operate, as in breathe, digest, think, etc. We should all be eating our BMR at the absolute, very minimum. Eating below BMR consistently actually will put your body into a sort of starvation mode, which can pose some pretty scary health risks and messes with your metabolism. It can actually cause you to gain weight, as your body is afraid it is dying. (I'm not kidding, I'm living proof. My BMR is 1452, and I ate around 1200 calories per day for quite some time, was sick all the time, hair falling out, etc.. and then I started to GAIN WEIGHT on only 1200/day while exercising.. scary stuff.)

When people refer to a caloric deficit they mean from your TDEE (today daily energy expenditure). Here's how it works:

To maintain your current weight, eat at TDEE
    To gain weight, eat above TDEE
    To lose weight, eat below TDEE

Recommended caloric deficits are around 10-15% depending on the person. You can calculate your estimated TDEE and BMR here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ This calculator will also allow you to see what your cut amount is at the varying percentages. You can play around with the numbers, but you'll see that it's always recommended to eat above your BMR, sometimes significantly.

Please, please always eat AT LEAST your BMR. I don't want to sound preachy or anything, I just know what it was like for me personally to struggle to maintain a low calorie diet and the awful effects it had on my body and I don't wish that on anyone.

I believe you I really do, but it just doesn't make sense to me. :( it makes me mad when I don't understand things straight off haha. In my mind I see myself eating 1400 calories because that's what my body will burn all on its own, but I don't know how eating above that then burning off calories doesn't just add to what is already on my body.

also sorry op I am completely thread jacking. To fix your deficit I would go for calorie dense food to keep your energy up from your run. Dried fruit and such will give your the calorie boost but wont stuff you. Which is funny becuase I have to give myself the exact opposite advice haha

The place you're getting confused is between bmr and tdee :) BMR = basal metabolic rate = what your body would burn if you stayed in bed 24/7 just to maintain where you are. The example given often is - this is what you'd burn in a coma. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure = the amount you actually burn in a day doing things like getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, walking to the car to sit at your deskjob, walking through the grocery store, and other day-to-day energy expenses. Eating at your TDEE will maintain your current weight at your normal daily rate of expenditure.

So what does that mean? It means if you're eating at 1400 - which is your BMR according to what you said - you are already eatting at a deficet, because you're eating what you'd need to eat if you were in a coma. Your TDEE/actual daily burn might be 1800, 1900, 2100, 2300, etc.

To find out, go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and look up your bmr and tdee. Remember, TDEE is what you're actually burning each day just by going through your daily life - not your BMR.

And don't worry, it confuses a lot of people when they get started! There are a lot of great resources around the forum for this.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm always in a deficit... I try to snack and eat nuts, watermelon or blueberries. I eat how much I can but feel full.
    people keep saying that its going to slow down the weight loss , so what should I do?? stuff my face even though Im not hungry??
    I have the same issue, my daily goal is 1230 w/out exercise, then I usually earn about 500 from exercise so I usually eat 1500-1600 calories in a day but my net is always 1100-1200 and I don't see how I could possibly eat more if I am not hungry!
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To clarify:

I(am a guy btw ;)) am trying to lose weight. And I am set on eating back most of those cals(I want to do this as "right as possible").
    Besides that, I am training my muscles a little bit(after losing weight, I am planning on tackling my muscles), and I am also training my fitness-level/stamina.

I know that my plan isn't fully-fledged good, but I think it's pretty okay. Still, thanks for the input.

Jdudez, Hopefully I can help out a little bit as everyone else seems distracted. Basically just pick some good, calorie dense foods for the rest of the day. Eat a bunch of nuts if you want. Add a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil to anything. Have a bowl of ice cream :) Have a nice, thick PB&J sandwich. Have a big cheeseburger. My personal suggestion would be something like a burrito from Chipotle. Load it up and enjoy! There are lots of ways to hit your calories, just choose the one you like.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Is this a common occurrence for you? Because I probably wouldn't really worry about it if it's only one day. You have 1500 calories to eat lunch and dinner. Don't gorge yourself just because of the calories you burned, but think of it as an opportunity to eat something you maybe normally wouldn't because it's too high in calories. Add avocado to your lunch. Eat pasta for dinner. If you're still running a deficit, don't worry about it.

It's when a large deficit becomes a habit that it becomes a problem. One day isn't going to disturb your goals.

Yes. Add something a little extra that's healthy and you really like. Or a glass of wine. Some sour cream in your guacamole. A bit of cheese.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

The place you're getting confused is between bmr and tdee :) BMR = basal metabolic rate = what your body would burn if you stayed in bed 24/7 just to maintain where you are. The example given often is - this is what you'd burn in a coma. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure = the amount you actually burn in a day doing things like getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, walking to the car to sit at your deskjob, walking through the grocery store, and other day-to-day energy expenses. Eating at your TDEE will maintain your current weight at your normal daily rate of expenditure.

So what does that mean? It means if you're eating at 1400 - which is your BMR according to what you said - you are already eatting at a deficet, because you're eating what you'd need to eat if you were in a coma. Your TDEE/actual daily burn might be 1800, 1900, 2100, 2300, etc.

To find out, go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and look up your bmr and tdee. Remember, TDEE is what you're actually burning each day just by going through your daily life - not your BMR.

And don't worry, it confuses a lot of people when they get started! There are a lot of great resources around the forum for this.

You my dear are wonderful! THAT is what I was looking for. Thank you very much I really appriciate it :)
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Aim to eat full-calorie, full-fat foods and you can increase cals and others relatively quickly. Full fat greek yogurt with some granola and almonds, or protein shake mixed with yogurt or milk, banana and peanut butter. Additional protein will also help with strength training and muscle recovery.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

You my dear are wonderful! THAT is what I was looking for. Thank you very much I really appriciate it :)

No problem =) This stuff does get really confusing - when I was first trying to sort the acronyms it wrapped my brain in knots and I got the same thing confused. Glad I could help clear it up!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals(I'm still kinda new, and have to get used to the site),

So I already had my breakfast, which was 500 calories.
    About 2 and a half hours later, I went for a run, which burned up 498 calories(I am very precise with my speed and time).

So, having read that I should eat as much calories back as I have burned up, I have come out to still needing 1500 calories to fill out throughout the day.

I don't wish to overdo my nutritient facts(I am almost not allowed to eat any sugary stuff for today), so my question to you is: what would you do, to fix this?

I'm not really sure where the problem is. I'm reading that you ate breakfast, then burned off all those calories but still have 1500 you need to eat today. You still have lunch, dinner and snacks to comsume those 1500 calories, right? So 500 calorie lunch, 500 calorie dinner and a couple 200 calorie snacks makes up your 1500...or close to it. This is not a lot of calories, IMO. Dinner for me is usually around 800 calories. If it's not, I add a glass of wine! LOL

I usually burn 500-600 cals in my cardio workouts. I am set for 1700 calories a day, and I am almost always at a negative net after breakfast. I rarely have any trouble getting back up to 1700 by the end of the day.
  • Casaria
    Casaria Posts: 37
    Options
    I am also a person that doesn't eat back what i burned. My goal is to loose weight not maintain my weight. So i stick with what it says my daily goal is for caloric intake.
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I agree with the comment about Olive Oil. Veggies in the overn with olive oil is my favorite. Filling, healthy, and it can make up those calories.

Personally I only eat back my workout calories (which are a lot) to the extent that I am not hungry. My calorie "goal" in MFP is really just a tool to see what I have done. In reality, I just eat till I am not hungry. I imagine though this will change once i get near my target weight. I've been losing just over 3 pounds a week which is about exactly what MFP suggests I would given that I do 1200 calories of workout per weekeday.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

Why, I do the same, I dont intend eat back my excercise calories, and I have lost around 80-100 lbs still eat junk food everynow and then excercise on a regular basis I do keep track of my food but if I feel great and look good and happy with my own progress why not? If i decide to gain muscle I understand why I should eat them back.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^^^ dont do this!!!! you will throw your body into starvation mode... bad advice dont do it!

This.

You do not go into starvation mode until your BF gets to less than 6 percent,
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For example:

My TDEE is 2500
    My BMR is 1500

If I told MFP I wanted to lose 2lbs a week it would put me at 1500 cals a day. If I go any lower than that with exercise I'm creating an even larger deficit. If you're 100+lbs overweight that's fine, for a little while. If not, it's just not the healthiest or most sustainable thing to do. Not gonna kill you or anything but if you can treat your body better, be more kind to yourself and still lose, why wouldn't you?

And this....

I don't think guys should be eating back their cals either.

Big muscles and big belly.

NOt attractive.

At first I was :noway: and then I was :laugh:

^^^ THIS. :heart:
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

**The place you're getting confused is between bmr and tdee :) BMR = basal metabolic rate = what your body would burn if you stayed in bed 24/7 just to maintain where you are. The example given often is - this is what you'd burn in a coma. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure = the amount you actually burn in a day doing things like getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, walking to the car to sit at your deskjob, walking through the grocery store, and other day-to-day energy expenses. Eating at your TDEE will maintain your current weight at your normal daily rate of expenditure.

And don't worry, it confuses a lot of people when they get started! There are a lot of great resources around the forum for this.***
    [/quote]

hold on a second. i thought i had this all figured out. now you are saying that my TDEE does NOT include any exercise i do? TDEE is just the calories i need to go through daily life? so what if i burn 600 calories exercising? i need to ADD 600 calories to my TDEE number? is that correct? please confirm because if that is the case, i am CLEARLY NOT eating enough!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

not necessarily true. My BMR is about 1400 Calories. My recommended cal intake is 1200, which is ony a 200 calorie deficit. Having a 500 daily calorie deficit is recommended to lose 1 pound per week. Therefore is I eat 1200 calories and burn 300 during the day I have created the 500 calorie difference and can expect a weight loss of about 1 pound per week. Or am I completely off base? The math makes sense to me...

You have your settings wrong. you only have 20lbs to lose, you should be set to .5 a lb to create your deficit. 1lb is for someone who has more to lose than you do. Just because it says 1lb is recommended (500 cals) doesn't mean that is recommended for everyone. It goes by how much you have to lose.

If you are set to sedentary, which I assuming you are because 1200 is the minimum on MFP... you are giving your body even less calories to work with because not only do you have it set to 1lb per week but you are telling the system you sit around all day and do nothing. While that may be true, you are already set to a greater deficit than you need.

Therefore, you aren't eating enough.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Double amen on that one!

14496283.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am currently still having trouble staying under certain nutrition goals. I primarily have trouble with sugar.

See, the thing is, that I tend to eat almost no processed sugar-foods(cookies, etc.). With almost, I mean, that I do have some small diet snacks, by a diet-company, which does contain a bit of sugar(1,2 g per cookie), but it usually keeps me cool. Except for the fact that fruit is the main cause that puts me over the sugar spot, I have trouble with other goals too(a different goal every other day).

My question is: Is it considered good enough, if I keep under my calorie goals by just a little bit, but go over my other goals(nutritient). I find it generally hard to fill my calories for the day, without crossing the nutritient goals.

Will sugar make me fat, if the calories won't?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question. If it works for you doesn't mean it will work for him.

OP, you most infidelity should eat if you feel hungry, but don't force yourself either if you are not. Some good foods are avocados, nuts/seeds, meats, etc.

Infidelity? I do not think that word means what you think it does. :noway: