Cardio Does Not Burn Muscle Mass

Options

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest taking advice from scooby
    I would suggest he's more qualified than vast majority of people to give advice.

Im more qualified then a vast majority of people on changing my brake pads...doesn't mean you want me underneath your car.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Have to love the people who jump in without citing any sources. Especially the ones who write "f---k" and "lol" in an attempt to add legitimacy to their point of view :)

And scooby qualifies as a legit "source"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66boOY4xXGU

Another guy who can't seem to follow a link. Spend more time with the books, bro:

http://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/pr_target.cfm?ID=506

Nice press release bro, where's the study?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Let's say it like this....

Cardio burns muscle mass when there is not enough energy in the body (carbs) and all of the ATP stores have been depleted. Your body then begins to use amino acids (proteins your muscle) to convert to ATP to use for energy.

So... yes cardio does burn muscle mass if you do so much of it with too little energy (carbs) in your body.

You can't make a blanket statement about something like that. You will get eaten alive on this website for something like that.

Plus, I've never seen this Scooby website before but... if he calls himself Scooby... I would have a difficult time finding him credible. Then again I have a hard time finding people with normal names credible when they just make stuff up and put it on a website....
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Have to love the people who jump in without citing any sources. Especially the ones who write "f---k" and "lol" in an attempt to add legitimacy to their point of view :)

And scooby qualifies as a legit "source"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66boOY4xXGU

Another guy who can't seem to follow a link. Spend more time with the books, bro:

http://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/pr_target.cfm?ID=506

Nice press release bro, where's the study?

Google it if you're interested. I don't do other people's homework--especially those who don't even read the links I provide.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    "Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle mass!"
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/

"The reason that cardio has gotten a bad reputation for burning muscle is that most often, people couple drastic diets with cardio in their effort to “cut” after “bulking” – its why I hate the whole bulking and cutting mentality. ) Its the drastic caloric reduction that is responsible for the muscle loss, not the cardio! "

http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle-or-fat/
    "As long as you get enough protein … maybe not even as much as you think you need, do some sort of strength training and don’t run 43 miles everyday for two months you really don’t need to worry about cardio burning muscle."

Incidentally, the above study showed a 7 percent decline in leg muscle mass for runners on ultra-long race that was 2,777 miles over two months. As most of us won't be doing that, I don't think we have to worry about loss of muscle mass from a 3-5 mile clip once or twice a week. http://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/pr_target.cfm?ID=506

You learn this from the internet and school or you've done the trial and error yourself? Is this your info or someone elses? You have to earn knowledge by experiencing this not quote someone else. Do you also do brain surgery or just read about it and thats the way it is? Looks good on paper dude, wonder if the people that wrote it are in anyway athletic?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Cardio burns muscle mass when there is not enough energy in the body (carbs) and all of the ATP stores have been depleted. Your body then begins to use amino acids (proteins your muscle) to convert to ATP to use for energy.

So... yes cardio does burn muscle mass if you do so much of it with too little energy (carbs) in your body.

You can't make a blanket statement about something like that. You will get eaten alive on this website for something like that.

Plus, I've never seen this Scooby website before but... if he calls himself Scooby... I would have a difficult time finding him credible. Then again I have a hard time finding people with normal names credible when they just make stuff up and put it on a website....

At what % of body fat does this start to happen? Please cite sources.
  • Cristofori44
    Options

But you can make a blanket statement about cardio burning muscle mass without providing any sources?

Nice double-standard there.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

There is no % body fat that this starts at. I would cite two sources, but my books are all in my apartment, and I'm at work.
  • wareagle8706
    Options

But you can make a blanket statement about cardio burning muscle mass without providing any sources?

Nice double-standard there.

I'm sorry I didn't cite my fitness and nutrtion textbook from college. Or the text book I'm reading right now studying for my personal training certification. But honestly, I'd believe those more than some guy named Scooby...
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Just have to love the people who refute the assertion and question the sources without providing any sources of their own
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This is the correct answer. It's called Gluconeogenesis
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just have to love the people who refute the assertion and question the sources without providing any sources of their own

Google Gluconeogenesis
  • wareagle8706
    Options

The body doesn't work that way. It doesn't suck all the fat out before it starts converting amino acids to use as energy. the body isn't that smart... My textbook is 4 hours away from me right now or I'd scan the page for you... sorry.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anyone who does cardio regularly already knows how much muscle it builds, retains or burns for them. But since my heart is one of my favorite muscles, even if I can't show it off in an online pic, I'll keep doing my regular cardio exercises.
  • wareagle8706
    Options

Google Gluconeogenesis

Thank you.

I'm at work right now and knew I should not have opened this post haha.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm laughing my aZZ off.

If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    Anyone who does cardio regularly already knows how much muscle it builds, retains or burns for them. But since my heart is one of my favorite muscles, even if I can't show it off in an online pic, I'll keep doing my regular cardio exercises.

Absolutely! There is nothing at all wrong with cardio and it is great for you. Also it can BUILD muscle if there is also some sort of resistance built in such as the push off when you are running or the pedaling on a bicycle. No doubt about it.
  • Cristofori44
    Options

Google Gluconeogenesis

Thank you.

I'm at work right now and knew I should not have opened this post haha.

Nevermind, looks like you agree in part.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do heals crit?
This discussion has been closed.