WEIGHT LOSS WITH NO EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is not sustainable.
    As soon as she stops she'll blow up like a barrage balloon!

As soon as she stops what? You can totally lose weight without exercising (and keep it off, for that matter). In fact, it can be argued that it may be easier to do it without exercise because of the increased appetite that comes with exercise. However, as others have said, there are many other reasons to exercise besides weight loss.

u are so right about the increased appetite. before i started exercising, i was never hungry, then i started exercising everyday for the last 3 weeks. NOW i'm hungry all the time. its nuts!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Weight loss with no exercise - now doesn't that sound healthy
  • puffidredz
    Options
    Did Dukan. Lost 28 pounds. Walked daily.
    Have put weight back on.
    1200 calories is not sustainable.

well thats you. everyone's different. before i started just eating bad foods and sitting on my butt, when i was thin i ate about 1200 cals everyday for pretty much all my life.
  • silverkitten13
    Options
    ive lost over 90 by only walking and eating well. i walk about 30-90 min every day or every other day
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes a day is, in fact, exercise.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Excersie only counts if you spend hundreds of dollars on gym membership, thousands of dollars on gym equipment, and buy those Lucy Lemon pant things or whatever they are called.

Walking is not exercise cause not a lot of people see you doing it and its harder to flirt with the meatheads.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    9iwf6.jpg

ah, pic came thru too small,
    but, a person can lose weight in a coma....
    yet, exercise is key to health and fitness.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    First time I lost a significant amount of weight (50lbs), I did it by watching what I ate and walking was my only exercise.
    I became quite slender but I was not toned. (and I put it back on)

The last time I lost a significant amount of weight (25lbs), I did it by exercising & trying to watch what I ate but not doing enough. I had some definition and was fit (hiking, lifting weights at gym, first and only time in my life I started running)-- but I still had some weight to lose because I didn't control my diet enough. (and have put it back on)

This time, I"m watching what I eat and exercising to achieve a healthy fit, defined body.

And I'm not putting it back on.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    Hmmmmm I'm afraid I'll end up the skinny fat guy with no strength training........
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello people I said except walk... I should have put no other exercise other than walking....:huh:
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Excersie only counts if you spend hundreds of dollars on gym membership, thousands of dollars on gym equipment, and buy those Lucy Lemon pant things or whatever they are called.

Walking is not exercise cause not a lot of people see you doing it and its harder to flirt with the meatheads.

I really hope you are kidding! Walking is exercise, doctor recommended at minimum for those started an exercise program.
    Don't appreciate the slams to gyms either- its everyones choice to work out in whatever environment they choose, wearing whatever they want. I wear capri sweats and comfortable tees, and really good shoes. I do not work out at home because I do not want to, paying for a gym membership is incentive for many to get their workouts in.

Exactly what is your workout routine?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Walking IS exercise. Especially at her start weight but really for any weight.

I see you clarified. :)

The key to losing with minimum exercise is to modify your intake of food. It really is that simple. You don't need any special diet bars, drinks, shakes, or pills. All you need is to eat less. That's it.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Did Dukan. Lost 28 pounds. Walked daily.
    Have put weight back on.
    1200 calories is not sustainable.

well thats you. everyone's different. before i started just eating bad foods and sitting on my butt, when i was thin i ate about 1200 cals everyday for pretty much all my life.

True, I eat 1200 calories and its sustainable for me
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the other comments, but here's my 2 cents.

I started out at 350 pounds back in march and I've lost 48 pounds since then (about 25 lbs of it just in the last 30 days) by watching my intake, and walking 3.0 mph at least 3 times a week, for no less than 30 minutes each time. I've always been heavy, and when you start out this heavy, the first 50 to 70 pounds just fall off by changing your lifestyle ( I would know--this is my second time losing a lot of weight. I went from 290 down to 200 in 3 months back in 2008. Not healthy, though, so I gained it all back). I went from doing absolutely nothing every single day to getting my butt off the couch and applying myself.

When you're this heavy, that's all it takes. I will probably continue to see huge weight loss until I'm about 260 pounds, then it will slow down to a normal rate.
    For someone who has less than 100 pounds to lose, I would assume it wouldn't be this easy. However, if she isn't really exercising at all, she will end up flabby. She needs to incorporate at least a tiny amount of strength training to her routine. Also, I don't have cheat days. I have days where I mess up, but I don't call them cheat days. That is a diet mentality, which will almost always result in failure.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day.
    I doubt I could move 304lb an inch, yet along drag it around for 30 minutes. That is some SERIOUS exercise she's been doing!

As she loses weight, she's likely to find that to continue eating as much as she does at present, and still lose weight, she'll have to do a LOT more exercise.

Or, she'll have to eat a lot less, which to be honest is necessary for most people who have ended up obese.

Yes, anyone can lose weight without exercise, if on average they eat fewer than their daily calorie requirements. BUT given the health (physical and mental) benefits of exercise, including walking, anyone capable of it would have to be crazy not to bother.
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    By the way her calorie intake is 1980. So I say she is doing really well... I am so proud of her... So it is possible but she did say once she lose more weight she will start doing more exercises and she is under a doctors care...so yayyyyy for her...
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree YAY for her. Most people can't make a bazillion changes at once so we have to celebrate the little ones.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Exercise has many more benefits in addition to weight loss.

I'm sure there are numerous folks on this site who may not be able to exercise due to health issues, injuries, or permanent disabilities and are still able to lose weight/maintain weight. My mother is a good example of someone who is unable to exercise strenuously (neck injury due to car accident) and even walking or swimming for more than a few minutes is painful to her. However, she has been able to maintain her weight in a healthy range for the past 6 months without any "real" exercise and recently lost a few pounds, by eating healthy. She's nearly 70.
  • puffidredz
    Options

Exercise has many more benefits in addition to weight loss.

I'm sure there are numerous folks on this site who may not be able to exercise due to health issues, injuries, or permanent disabilities and are still able to lose weight/maintain weight. My mother is a good example of someone who is unable to exercise strenuously (neck injury due to car accident) and even walking or swimming for more than a few minutes is painful to her. However, she has been able to maintain her weight in a healthy range for the past 6 months without any "real" exercise and recently lost a few pounds, by eating healthy. She's nearly 70.

agreed. i have an office job where all i do is sit at a pc listening to people whine all day. after a few years of doing this, my legs began swelling while sitting and i would wake up in the middle of the night with pins and needles feelings in my legs and arms if i slept with them bent. i literally had to sleep splayed out like a starfish. all the years of jus sitting contributed to poor blood circulation i am assuming. so i started walking 2 miles a day everyday and in the first week all the pins and needles and swelling has stopped.

you need to exercise even if you're not trying to lose weight.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    When I had my first child 16 years ago I went from 158lbs to 121lbs with no exercise at all but my abs were flabby. I am now 41 weigh 139lbs but have much better definition than I had at 25, my body confidence is also much better. I didn't know better then, my weight loss hasn't been anywhere near as fast probably due to age but I feel so much better. For me exercise has been the key this time and I believe this is the way. When my son was 6 I had a number of family crisis and suffered from depression I had a number of weeks off sick from work and my then boyfriend encouraged me to join the gym I continued to eat crap and drank a bottle of wine a night but lost inches. This was the wrong approach I agree (I was depressed don't judge me) I would have done better if I had eaten well too but I lost no weight but felt better about myself. I think you need a balance. Exercise improves my body and mind I feel much happier if I workout. It also sends a good message to my kids who I want to be happy and healthy.