no carb diet

Options

Replies

• peterhern
    Options
    I'm in day 4 of trying to consume 75g carbs a day. Lost 5 pounds so far ... I know it's mostly water and that pace won't last.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    thank you! I just want to try it for a few days not forever.

you should do it for 2 weeks minimum.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You can pretend it doesn't matter if you like, but for many of us it does.

All I ever hear as an argument for not even trying to give it up to see how you might feel better (nobody I know that has ACTUALLY tried has any regrets) is things like "Oh, but I could NEVER give up bread (or pasta, or cookies or whatever), which to me says nothing more than weak willed, especially when coming from people that have tried everything else to either loose weight, control diabetes, reduce allergies, etc, which cutting carbs does for many many people.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Meat doesn't have ****ing carbs. I don't where the hell that comment came from.

My low-carb lifestyle is the ****. I recommend it to just about anyone who is capable of handling it.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You WILL lose weight with low carb. I stuck to 25 carbs a day for quite some time. I lost some weight. Several times. Therein lies the problem. Several times. It is nearly impossible to live that life longterm. It's just not reality. So the pounds will come back. Somes in larger increments than they left! It does get easy to eat the same stuff over and over again - keeps the guess work out - but the fact that fruits are not allowed nor are whole wheat and grains, it just made me doubt that it was best for my body. So anyway, it helped me shed about 8 of the last 15 lbs. I had but here I sat at a plateau again when adding the carbs back. Good luck with it. It has to be a forever lifestyle change to work or the lbs. will come back.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

If you try it for a few days, you might as well stick to it forever, because you'll just gain the weight back when you're done experimenting. Carbs are good. Carbs are fuel. Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain.

Corrected:

Carbs can be fuel, but why not use your own fat? Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie are all garbage foods for those with weak willpower and can't stick to a whole food diet. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain and potentially suffer bloat and other side effects of genetically engineered wheat!

Blah blah blah. You can be miserable if you like. I'll just keep losing weight.

Who's miserable? I'm perfectly fine with my diet and eating style, enjoy meat and vegtables, never real ate much fruit anyway and cut out all the garbage that made me feel bloated. I bake with alternative ingredients (I make a molten lava cake far superior to anything I've EVER had in a restaurant using no wheat, sugar or other garbage) and as you can see by my ticker I've lost 65lbs doing it this way.

Sooo, I'll enjoy my nice fat 16oz ribeye with mushroom,onion and bacon cream sauce and a size of roasted asparagus tonight while I imagine you slurping down yet another bowl of god awful mush that you call oatmeal (this coming from a former oatmeal fan by the way)

Cheers! :drinker:

Well, if we're going to be flaunting weight loss, I lost 145 pounds eating lovely bowls of mush pretty much every morning. I'll take your ribeye and raise you a big baked potato on the side.

Ooh, and guess who's definitely having oatmeal tonight before bed?! Mmm..
  • Marll
    Options

If you try it for a few days, you might as well stick to it forever, because you'll just gain the weight back when you're done experimenting. Carbs are good. Carbs are fuel. Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain.

Corrected:

Carbs can be fuel, but why not use your own fat? Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie are all garbage foods for those with weak willpower and can't stick to a whole food diet. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain and potentially suffer bloat and other side effects of genetically engineered wheat!

You can be a martyr if you like - but eating carbs has absolutely nothing to do with will power - its a choice for many people because there is no point in not eating them.

ETA: I am confused - you are argueing for a no-carb diet and saying yours is fantastic, but you are eating carbs!

Perhaps reading comprehension isn't a strong suit....I said specifically that I did it back in 2003 for a couple of months, but don't now because my wife needs more variety or she'll ***** about it.

That being said I rarely consume over 30g a day and feel great, am making big strength gains in the gym, slimming out, dropping clothes sizes (despite the scale not moving) and all of my blood work comes back stellar.

I'm a huge supporter of a low or controlled carb lifestyle and truly believe that everyone would do better without grains.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Corrected:

:laugh:

Mmm, my lack of will power just caused me to eat a delicious homemade cookie that fits in my macros and my calories...

wait, I'm not bloated...

and I've lost 51lbs

Carbs are awesome.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options
    funny-gifs-outta-here.gif
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Even vegetables have carbs.

Fish/ broccoli
    Chicken/green beans
    I will sometimes eat plain greek yogurt mix in sugar free jello for flavor.

Broccoli, green beans and asparagus are lower carb vegetables. I wouldnt cut out all your carbs if your exercising regularly,
  • Marll
    Options

Corrected:

Who's miserable? I'm perfectly fine with my diet and eating style, enjoy meat and vegtables, never real ate much fruit anyway and cut out all the garbage that made me feel bloated. I bake with alternative ingredients (I make a molten lava cake far superior to anything I've EVER had in a restaurant using no wheat, sugar or other garbage) and as you can see by my ticker I've lost 65lbs doing it this way.

Sooo, I'll enjoy my nice fat 16oz ribeye with mushroom,onion and bacon cream sauce and a size of roasted asparagus tonight while I imagine you slurping down yet another bowl of god awful mush that you call oatmeal (this coming from a former oatmeal fan by the way)

Well, if we're going to be flaunting weight loss, I lost 145 pounds eating lovely bowls of mush pretty much every morning. I'll take your ribeye and raise you a big baked potato on the side.

Hey nothing wrong with a potato every once in a while!

Maybe we should all get blood drawn and see what the real deal is :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Corrected:

You can be a martyr if you like - but eating carbs has absolutely nothing to do with will power - its a choice for many people because there is no point in not eating them.

ETA: I am confused - you are argueing for a no-carb diet and saying yours is fantastic, but you are eating carbs!

Perhaps reading comprehension isn't a strong suit....I said specifically that I did it back in 2003 for a couple of months, but don't now because my wife needs more variety or she'll ***** about it.

That being said I rarely consume over 30g a day and feel great, am making big strength gains in the gym, slimming out, dropping clothes sizes (despite the scale not moving) and all of my blood work comes back stellar.

I'm a huge supporter of a low or controlled carb lifestyle and truly believe that everyone would do better without grains.

LOL at the agressiveness of your responses - chillax!. And while we are discussing reading comprehension, you encouraged the OP to try a no-carb diet by going completely off topic and stating that they should be eating whole- or multi-grain instead.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs, turkey burger, turkey brats, turkey breakfast sausage, steak, some cheese. I know fat is not suppose to matter low carb, but I try to swim in it.

I have been doing low carb for 2 months and have lost about 60 lbs (next weigh in tomorrow). Granted I started with 250 pounds to lose. I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories while trying to keep under 20 to 25 carbs during the week. On weekends I try to stay around 2000 to 2500 calories and stay between 50 and 60 carbs.

Once I get closer to my goal I have every intention of gradually increasing my calorie and carb intake, decrease cardio, and increase strength training.

I also walk 5-6 days a week for at least an hour (been doing around 2 hours lately) and try to do some strength training 3 days a week.

With respect for those who say its to fast, that you should lose a pound a week, if i did that it would be 5 years before I reached my goal. I don't know of many who would be able to stay dedicated that long with very slow visible results.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Corrected:

Just got blood drawn three weeks ago, perfectly healthy.
  • Marll
    Options

Corrected:

LOL at the agressiveness of your responses - chillax!. And while we are discussing reading comprehension, you encouraged the OP to try a no-carb diet by going completely off topic and stating that they should be eating whole- or multi-grain instead.

I never said anything like they should eat that. I am dead set opposed to any grains. Here is what I said below:

1st post:
    If you are eating meat and fat you are getting 0 carbs, there is no reason to quibble about the super minute amount that MIGHT be found in meat (as long as you are eating real, whole meat, and not store bought jerky or something).

Back in 2003 I did 0 carbs for 2 months. Did not eat anything but chicken, pork, and beef and felt amazing. The only reason I'm not doing it now is that my wife will gripe about variety.

2nd post:
    Corrected:

Notice the passage about grains in bold
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Corrected:

I never said anything like they should eat that. I am dead set opposed to any grains. Here is what I said below:

1st post:
    If you are eating meat and fat you are getting 0 carbs, there is no reason to quibble about the super minute amount that MIGHT be found in meat (as long as you are eating real, whole meat, and not store bought jerky or something).

Back in 2003 I did 0 carbs for 2 months. Did not eat anything but chicken, pork, and beef and felt amazing. The only reason I'm not doing it now is that my wife will gripe about variety.

2nd post:
    Corrected:

Why does a damn cookie mean I have weak willpower? I'm f*cking strong as hell. :)

And I noticed the passage in bold, but I'm more interested in the sentence before it.
  • Marll
    Options

Corrected:

That's great. Glad you are healthy.

How's you cholesterol, blood sugar, fasting insulin levels etc?
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Fruit has carbs and no carbs is fine but I would aim for low carbs. Just don't eat pasta, bread products and such. I am allergic to beef, cow dairy, and alcohol and if I do eat more then 4 servings of bread I gain weight. If I eat less calories I still only lose .25 pounds a week. If I don't eat more than 4 bread products, drink soy, and dairy I lose on average 2-4 pounds a week. I think that some people can do fine with grains in their diet but I am not one of those people. Actually I was considered fat because I didn't realize what was making me fat as a kid. I think that those who don't understand people who cant eat carbs can be mean. My Doctor is who I listen too, to control my IBS, Ulcers, and other internal problems I just stay away from bread products. I get heart burn if I eat them. I hope this helps, also, try a modified Paleo Diet and see if that helps. I have to live this way, this isn't a choice for me but for those that it is a choice give it a try.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Corrected:

That's great. Glad you are healthy.

How's you cholesterol, blood sugar, fasting insulin levels etc?

Perfection.

I get my blood drawn every month or so as part of my recovery from bulimia, and I've never had an issue -- Oh, except for that period of time where I started cutting foods from my diet and nearly had a heart attack.

Now that I'm eating from all the food groups, I feel great. I want to run a marathon. You want to join me for the carb-loading the night before? ;)
  • Marll
    Options

Corrected:

1st post:

2nd post:
    Corrected:

Why does a damn cookie mean I have weak willpower? I'm f*cking strong as hell. :)

Why is it so hard for people to accept that cookies are junk food? Why not find whole food that is nutritionally dense and serves a purpose beyond the immediate addiction response? Why can people not believe that perhaps they would be better off without eating sugary, flour based stuff? Because they don't want to.

I look at it this way, when people market foods to kids, what are the buzzwords? Low sugar, reduced sugar, VEGGIES!, real food, not processed, no hormones....yet as adults we can't accept the same things MIGHT be bad for us too, or at least not great choices? I'll tell you much of the reason I ate like that in the past was sheer laziness. Low carbing is more work, takes more time, more planning and more creativity. It's so much easier to cave, eat that cookie, eat that bag of doritos, etc and just get fatter, older and sicker with each passing year.

This argument will never be won on either side, and MFP is always hostile to low carbers, but I still come here a lot, because damn it, I love you all in a very disfucntional family kind of way.