no carb diet

Options

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i eat low carb, and being in ketosis really does make you feel wonderful.

ignore the mouth breathers that don't know what they're talking about.

eat your meat, eat your fat, eat your veg.

feel free to add me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This argument will never be won on either side, and MFP is always hostile to low carbers, but I still come here a lot, because damn it, I love you all in a very disfucntional family kind of way.

Taking off the infini-quotes:

I find this ironic considering the voracity of your responses!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    thank you! I just want to try it for a few days not forever.

If you try it for a few days, you might as well stick to it forever, because you'll just gain the weight back when you're done experimenting. Carbs are good. Carbs are fuel. Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain.

Corrected:

Carbs can be fuel, but why not use your own fat? Rice, oatmeal, pasta, bread, the occasional slice of cake or cookie are all garbage foods for those with weak willpower and can't stick to a whole food diet. Go for whole-grain or multi-grain and potentially suffer bloat and other side effects of genetically engineered wheat!

Blah blah blah. You can be miserable if you like. I'll just keep losing weight.

Who's miserable? I'm perfectly fine with my diet and eating style, enjoy meat and vegtables, never real ate much fruit anyway and cut out all the garbage that made me feel bloated. I bake with alternative ingredients (I make a molten lava cake far superior to anything I've EVER had in a restaurant using no wheat, sugar or other garbage) and as you can see by my ticker I've lost 65lbs doing it this way.

Sooo, I'll enjoy my nice fat 16oz ribeye with mushroom,onion and bacon cream sauce and a size of roasted asparagus tonight while I imagine you slurping down yet another bowl of god awful mush that you call oatmeal (this coming from a former oatmeal fan by the way)

Cheers! :drinker:

Well, if we're going to be flaunting weight loss, I lost 145 pounds eating lovely bowls of mush pretty much every morning. I'll take your ribeye and raise you a big baked potato on the side.

Ooh, and guess who's definitely having oatmeal tonight before bed?! Mmm..

Hey nothing wrong with a potato every once in a while!

Maybe we should all get blood drawn and see what the real deal is :wink:

Just got blood drawn three weeks ago, perfectly healthy.

That's great. Glad you are healthy.

How's you cholesterol, blood sugar, fasting insulin levels etc?

Perfection.

I get my blood drawn every month or so as part of my recovery from bulimia, and I've never had an issue -- Oh, except for that period of time where I started cutting foods from my diet and nearly had a heart attack.

Now that I'm eating from all the food groups, I feel great. I want to run a marathon. You want to join me for the carb-loading the night before? ;)

No need for carb loading, I just ran 6 miles this morning having taken in only 15 carbs yesterday. My pace was a 7.5min mile for all 6 miles.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

feel free to add me.

Nice response calling everyone dumb because they do not agree with you. I like that form of debate! Go you!!
  • Marll
    Options
    This argument will never be won on either side, and MFP is always hostile to low carbers, but I still come here a lot, because damn it, I love you all in a very disfucntional family kind of way.

Any voractiy is due to conditioning after a year of giving people solid well thought out advice on the topic, only to have people that have no interest in low carb come into the threads and s**t on everyone.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Why is it so hard for people to accept that cookies are junk food? Why not find whole food that is nutritionally dense and serves a purpose beyond the immediate addiction response? Why can people not believe that perhaps they would be better off without eating sugary, flour based stuff? Because they don't want to.

I look at it this way, when people market foods to kids, what are the buzzwords? Low sugar, reduced sugar, VEGGIES!, real food, not processed, no hormones....yet as adults we can't accept the same things MIGHT be bad for us too, or at least not great choices? I'll tell you much of the reason I ate like that in the past was sheer laziness. Low carbing is more work, takes more time, more planning and more creativity. It's so much easier to cave, eat that cookie, eat that bag of doritos, etc and just get fatter, older and sicker with each passing year.

tumblr_m2r31fyWRt1r803il.gif
  • Marll
    Options

Why is it so hard for people to accept that cookies are junk food? Why not find whole food that is nutritionally dense and serves a purpose beyond the immediate addiction response? Why can people not believe that perhaps they would be better off without eating sugary, flour based stuff? Because they don't want to.

I look at it this way, when people market foods to kids, what are the buzzwords? Low sugar, reduced sugar, VEGGIES!, real food, not processed, no hormones....yet as adults we can't accept the same things MIGHT be bad for us too, or at least not great choices? I'll tell you much of the reason I ate like that in the past was sheer laziness. Low carbing is more work, takes more time, more planning and more creativity. It's so much easier to cave, eat that cookie, eat that bag of doritos, etc and just get fatter, older and sicker with each passing year.

You do realize that Cookie Monster is an addict, right? :laugh:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

You do realize that Cookie Monster is an addict, right? :laugh:

WAT?

tumblr_m8v96qDSPk1rqcgcn.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

feel free to add me.

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Any voractiy is due to conditioning after a year of giving people solid well thought out advice on the topic, only to have people that have no interest in low carb come into the threads and s**t on everyone.

It really does not help when you call people who do decide that low/no carb is not for them 'weak willed' in your first (or maybe it was your second) post. I do not do it because I do not see the point. You do it because you do.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm considering it but not sure yet. A friend just lost 8 lbs in 5 days but I know everyone is different.
    It's not a sustainable diet. Try high carb, low fat, raw vegan for a week and see how you feel. If it's all about losing weight fast, try a juice fast. You can lose 2 LBS a day juice fasting. A low carb diet will just put you into ketosis.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with those who say low carb eating is not sustainable. What isn't sustainable about eating meat, cheese, nuts, fats, vegetables, and low sugar fruits? I just don't get why people think like this. I know low carb eating isn't for everyone, and that is fine, but it is certainly sustainable. I have lost 50 pounds doing 5-6 days of fairly strict low carb eating with a day or two of higher carb eating.

OP, here is a sample menu from an earlier day this week for me
    Breakfast (I tend to eat weird foods for breakfast because my DH works third shift, so it is his dinner)-4 oz hamburger, no bun obviously, with mayo, half a tablespoon of ketchup, tomatoes, and pickles

Lunch-Cheesy cauliflower soup

Afternoon Snack-Pork rinds, ranch sour cream dip, peanut butter

Dinner-Salad with two cups of lettuce, a cup of spinach, half a tomato, cheese, and ranch dressing

Night snack-Baked zucchini topped with pepperoni

Calories-1540, carbs 50, fiber 11, net carbs 39, and protein 88. I was a little low on protein, but this is just to give you an idea.
  • peterhern
    Options
    Doesn't activity level have a lot to do with the whole carb, low carb debate?
    I never would have thought I'd ever go near a low carb type diet. But I know my activity level is going to near zero for at least two weeks, probably a month.
    Need to burn fat. Need to lower my weight to help me get active again. Seems like I'm limited to going low carb for quick results.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Really? Where does the glycogen in that ribeye go?
    To acids, pretty quickly on death ?
  • Marll
    Options
    I'm considering it but not sure yet. A friend just lost 8 lbs in 5 days but I know everyone is different.
    It's not a sustainable diet. Try high carb, low fat, raw vegan for a week and see how you feel. If it's all about losing weight fast, try a juice fast. You can lose 2 LBS a day juice fasting. A low carb diet will just put you into ketosis.

Emphasis mine. That's exactly the point. Secondly people act like low carb is such a radical change, and crazy...but yet feel completely comfortable suggesting some crazy BS like a raw vegan diet or juicing like "Hey that's so normal, why not?!"
  • Marll
    Options

It really does not help when you call people who do decide that low/no carb is not for them 'weak willed' in your first (or maybe it was your second) post. I do not do it because I do not see the point. You do it because you do.

Yet generally my point stands. YOU may have decided that it doesn't make sense to you, but there are many, many people that come to these forums, or have come to me in real life and said "I've literally tried everything to loose weight and can't! You've been able to and look healthy and are gaining muscle in the gym, what should I do?!"

Soon as you mention cutting some carbs they immediately (9 times in 10) "Oh, I don't know, I couldn't give up my bread/pasta/cookies/ice cream/<insert over processed carb laden food here>!" Weak. They'd rather stay fat and eat these foods...and I know a few of them personally that have continued to beat their heads into the wall doing these same types of things, not loosing or even gaining weight...but even TRYING to cut carbs is so crazy they won't give it a shot. Most of them would try a raw vegan diet before just laying off the bread....which to me seems WAY more of a departure from "normal" eating than cutting carbs.....*SIGH*.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I've done this, and I really don't recommend it.
    Try a green juice fast for a couple days instead.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Without a medical reason to do so, which I'm assuming you don't have if you have no eating plan from a doctor, cutting out vegetables is a bad idea. If you are not taking vitamin supplements you'll likely need to eat some raw liver.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Yet generally my point stands. YOU may have decided that it doesn't make sense to you, but there are many, many people that come to these forums, or have come to me in real life and said "I've literally tried everything to loose weight and can't! You've been able to and look healthy and are gaining muscle in the gym, what should I do?!"

Soon as you mention cutting some carbs they immediately (9 times in 10) "Oh, I don't know, I couldn't give up my bread/pasta/cookies/ice cream/<insert over processed carb laden food here>!" Weak. They'd rather stay fat and eat these foods...and I know a few of them personally that have continued to beat their heads into the wall doing these same types of things, not loosing or even gaining weight...but even TRYING to cut carbs is so crazy they won't give it a shot. Most of them would try a raw vegan diet before just laying off the bread....which to me seems WAY more of a departure from "normal" eating than cutting carbs.....*SIGH*.

I eat low carb. I do not think people are weak because they won't go on a low-carb diet. If another diet is working for them, why not stick with it? And if someone would rather try to lose weight while having the occasional cookie, or eating grains, what business is it of mine? And would you be so nasty to a low-carb dieter who couldn't give up their eggs/cheese/steak?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

Um, water weight.