Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    OK i stummbled a little today hubby just brought me a blizzard from DQ. I know I should have told him I didn't want one but the thought of him wanting to come see me after he got off work and bring me lunch got the best of me. Oh well I am working more on moderation thatn elimination. I will just have to put a little more into my workout to make up for it.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMm... am enjoying a Fuji apple, cut into slices and drizzled with one ounce of organic almond butter. I actually bought a digital scale today and have been throwing everything on there just to see... What I was guestimating as 1 oz of almond butter was pretty damned close, it weighed out at 1.06 oz.... Yeah me. My guestimator still works pretty well :laugh:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    I've been doing well resisting. The oldest is searching desperately through the cupboard right now for 'something sweet'. Good luck dear, not much to be found. Poor kids, huh?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    I've been doing well resisting. The oldest is searching desperately through the cupboard right now for 'something sweet'. Good luck dear, not much to be found. Poor kids, huh?

*snicker*

Oh, yeah, this just LOOKS like facebook......now where are those dang smileys again??.......AHH! :devil: take that kids.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which provides recommendations on good dietary habits to promote health and reduce the risk of diseases, doesn't spell out how much added sugar you should get. But the guidelines do suggest the number of discretionary calories you can have based on your situation, such as age and physical activity level. For example, if you should consume 2,000 calories a day for a healthy diet, 267 of those calories would be discretionary calories that you could "spend" on food or drinks that contain added sugar, solid fats and alcohol. The more you have of one, the less you can have of another. For instance, you could consume all of your discretionary calories either by eating one sugary snack or by having a couple of alcoholic drinks.

The American Heart Association (AHA), however, is so concerned about health problems related to the excess consumption of added sugar that in August 2009 it issued specific recommendations. These recommendations go beyond the guidance from the USDA. The AHA recommends that no more than half of your discretionary allowance of calories come from added sugar.

In general, the AHA says that most American women should consume no more than 100 calories a day from added sugar, and that most American men should consume no more than 150 calories a day from added sugar — and that even less is better. That's about 6 teaspoons of added sugar for women and 9 for men. Your age and activity level help determine the specific amount of added sugar suitable for you. To put things into perspective, one 12-ounce can of a sweetened soft drink contains 8 teaspoons of added sugar, or about 130 calories.

Most Americans get more than 22 teaspoons a day of added sugar — or 355 calories — far exceeding both USDA guidelines and American Heart Association recommendations.

:frown: :ohwell:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845

_______________________________________________________________________________-
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Cake is still in the kitchen but none in my tummy today!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    resisted the white cupcakes with the chocolate icing after dinner-- woot!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Had a cranky day today. Completely out of character for me, I screwed up my scheduling and some paperwork. This sent me in to a downward sort of woe is me mode. Really wanted to medicate that, but didn't.

Mostly it was because I would have had to go to confessional (here). Thanks, all.
  • kellygirl2
    Options
    Good Lord, I am so glad I don't live at most of your houses, cakes and cheese cakes and all that sugar floating around.
    Wow how do you all do it? You must have some will power I must say. No one in my house really cares that much for sugar
    except for me. I'm the biggest sugar addict here at home. I'm afraid if it was around me all the time I wouldn't do so well on this
    challenge. So kudos to you who have to deal with living with sugar addicts..
    Sugar is not our friend, I think it is the enemy though.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm joining. Sugar is not my friend. Sugar is not my friend. Sugar is not my friend. And I too wonder, like Kellygirl2, how you keep that stuff in the house. I think I am going to do the junk garbage purge tonight after the gym. The garbage man came this morning, so the can has room!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    ok so my sugar yesterday was only 18 grams :) yay me....
    and today is just starting so we will see.. but so far i have done good... and i am PMSing so i have been craving some chocolate (and chips) but i have been behaving....
    I am having pooping issues though:embarassed: i dont know if its the 0 sugar thing or what.... lol not that any of you care about my BM issues ... but now you all know ha!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    no sugar for 2 days. went to eat a hersheys kiss..............and said nah....not worth it!

:smokin:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    This morning, I had HALF of a very small piece of homemade fudge my boss made. That is all the sugar I will have today!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    finished all day yesterday with no sweets!
  • tamarads
    Options
    So glad to find this thread! I'm new and when I started this I decided that I was going to cut out the sugar. I've managed to stay under my sugar allotment for the day. I'm not eating junk, just the sugars in my meals, which I watch. I've come to appreciate sugar-free coffee creamer and the occasional sugar-free piece of candy. Is it okay to have sugar-free things? Would love any thoughts on that!

Sugar is not my friend!
  • tamarads
    Options
    QUOTE: ok so my sugar yesterday was only 18 grams :) yay me....
    and today is just starting so we will see.. but so far i have done good... and i am PMSing so i have been craving some chocolate (and chips) but i have been behaving....
    I am having pooping issues though:embarassed: i dont know if its the 0 sugar thing or what.... lol not that any of you care about my BM issues ... but now you all know ha

Jakeh:

Are you eating the sugar alcohols? They will give you BM issues if you eat too many!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I need to start this. And definetly need support. Been to "rehab" twice now and did great for a few months, then relapsed. So here I am again. Several pounds up and all because of aweful sugar-and I know all the bad affects it has on the body! I WILL START TODAY! :noway:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Welcome to all you new sugary friends!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I am having pooping issues though:embarassed: i dont know if its the 0 sugar thing or what.... lol not that any of you care about my BM issues ... but now you all know ha!

How the heck can you only have 18 grams? Holy moley, I am impressed. My milk substitutes all have at least 10 grams per glass. The soy yogurt I am eating has about 20. I do have a plain soy yogurt that only has 3 grams, but then I have to add fruit to it for flavor, and there's more sugar.

Anyways, the chocolate and chips cravings got me thinking, about chocolate covered potato chips! Yummmmm Have you ever had them? I made a bunch over the holidays and people were amazed at how scrumptious they were. I did throw some away after new years though. Because sugar is not my friend.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

How the heck can you only have 18 grams? Holy moley, I am impressed. My milk substitutes all have at least 10 grams per glass. The soy yogurt I am eating has about 20. I do have a plain soy yogurt that only has 3 grams, but then I have to add fruit to it for flavor, and there's more sugar.

Anyways, the chocolate and chips cravings got me thinking, about chocolate covered potato chips! Yummmmm Have you ever had them? I made a bunch over the holidays and people were amazed at how scrumptious they were. I did throw some away after new years though. Because sugar is not my friend.

OMG chocolate covered potato chips are the BEST!!!! and now i wish i had some lol....
    As for my milk products and their sugar content .... im not a huge milk drinker .. i have been eating the Source by yoplait yogurts and they are 4g of sugar and cheese strings which have apparently 0g of sugar... :)