Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• kaytbognar
    Options
    Yeah, ladies, I hate it when a latte throws my sugar over for the day. Or a whole banana instead of half of one in my smoothie. I do find, though, that unsweetened sweet things are much sweeter to my taste now. A pear tastes like candy.

I hear that, V. I don't even think about cake anymore, just wanna load up on all the fresh fresh oranges and pineapple we have here (and by fresh, I mean those oranges grow outside my window...oh I am a lucky ducky!) My dinner tonight was just a big bowl of fruit and some yogurt. Nomnomnom.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    FYI: When you abstain from sugar for awhile there WILL be reprocussions when you eat 4 oreos.

Just sayin:sick:

Hi Jeannie,
    I had a terrible weekend. I ate way to much and I figured out I am totally an emotional eater.
    I found out a good friend of mine passed away about a week ago. I guess I eat when I'm sad.
    Then when I eat sugar it starts all types of cravings, have you found that to be true too?
    I was wondering if it is just me, or if others find that too.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Oh you bet. Once I start on sugar it can get out of hand and ugly real quick like! I am working on moderation, but it's hard.

Yes, Jeannie Oreos. Gotcha. :sick:

Yes, Kelly. Food as comfort, food as punishment, food as friend. We all do it (well, I think a lot of us do...) And yet, exercise makes me feel good in all those times, too. I'm working on that substitute.

Exercise = Good
    Too Much Food = Bad
    (say it with me......"Sugar is not my friend.")

Lori, you have been doing so much better, don't you think? Moderation is doable!:flowerforyou:

V - Again, thank you so much for your blog. I read "#2" last night. You are so smart.......:smooched:

I've managed to stay away from M&Ms. Trail mix is my current :devil: . I somehow convince myself it's okay to eat a whole 1500 calories of it in two or three days. Somebody stop me!
    U-turn U-turn U-turn........

I have been doing ok with moderation, thanks. I did none well too, it was when I tried to add 'some' that I had issues and went way overboard. Live and learn.

I made the family a sprite cake with cool whip tonight and ate a piece. My youngest DS said, "Are you eating that?" and sounded really surprised when I picked up a plate with a piece. I smiled and said, "Yup, every once in a while I can."
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    'Morning my sweets-- doing well with the moderation thing here in New Jersey-- baked cupcakes for the Jets game, and indulged, but didn't overindulge.

All in all, hanging in.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I did good even over this long weekend! I did have a bite of this weird maple chocolate fudge thing and actually didn't like it. I really think I'm more of a salty gal most days anyway.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I have been doing well all through January. I'm grabbing oranges and pineapple when I want a sweet treat, now, instead of fantasizing about cans of whipped cream. When I feel like I need a chocy-fix, I stir a pablespoon of unsweetened cocoa into my coffee instead of cutting a fat slice of cake.

One of our housekeepers lay the temptation whammy on me today, though. She brought me a little coconut candy snack bar thingy (it looks DIVINE, but it's pretty much just coconut pulp, coconut milk, and sugar!) One little treat isn't going to crush me, and scoping the label it's only about 100 cals (22g of sugar though! Whammo!) so I know it's nothing to beat myself up over.

My mini-challenge within a challenge is going to be to hang on to this little morsel until I really want it, and then indulge and enjoy it and get back on the train. I'm thinking I might even have half tonight and save the rest for another day. I think this is progress!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Grr. I went to Trader Joes and didn't buy Trail Mix.

I mean......YAY ME yesssmileyf.gif
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Had a long discussion with the cashier about the Sour Jelly Belly candies at the cashout stand too.. . . . . no problemo. yesssmileyf.gif
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was tempted at three cash registers today. I had to go to a government office today (my personal vision of what hell looks like) and almost reflexively went into "I deserve a treat" mode. Stopped myself by thinking (each time I almost reached for the little chocolate bar, the toffee, and the jelly bellies (that must be in the air, Cheryl) "you don't do that anymore." Bought a guilty pleasure magazine instead. My brain may turn to mush, but my tummy is getting tighter. Noticed today that pants are fitting better. Rejoiced.

Victory! It's been four days since I last used. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My cousin in NY sent me fresh baked cookies from his bakery. No WAY I am passing those suckers up!

Ok so I eat 6 of the 1 inch chocolate fudge fantasies..............OMG........the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.

I flip the box over and there is a sticker with calorie info. Not too bad, 280 calories................for TWO FREAKING COOKIES!!!

I ate 1000 calories of sugary fat!! I do not regret it........but will not do that again for 2 weeks (freezing THREE cookies for my snack IF I exercise 1000 calories away this week)

Oh, the other thing.......Marla had said her puffy tummy went way down when she quit sugar. Well I am here to second that. I didnt lose any weight, but went down 1 inch on my tummy. I guess that is enough to make me keep the sugar in check.

Thanks CHERYL for the challenge my friend................:heart::heart:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Okay V, I gotta say there's a lot to be said for magazines. I have taken an unnatural interest in reading things-that-don't-take-very-long.

Love Vanity Fair. And now I get a ba-jilion SCUBA diving mags. Love them. Blue waters, sharks, what's not to love?shrk.gif

(Apparently I've been missing photobucket and emoticons, too.) Too much time on fb. Which, by the way .....not that much fun anyore.......So much more positive influence-type people here.

love you all. You keep me sane. And thinner.

Great job on the pants fitting better, V.
  • Marla64
    Options
    I was tempted at three cash registers today. I had to go to a government office today (my personal vision of what hell looks like) and almost reflexively went into "I deserve a treat" mode. Stopped myself by thinking (each time I almost reached for the little chocolate bar, the toffee, and the jelly bellies (that must be in the air, Cheryl) "you don't do that anymore." Bought a guilty pleasure magazine instead. My brain may turn to mush, but my tummy is getting tighter. Noticed today that pants are fitting better. Rejoiced.

Victory! It's been four days since I last used. :flowerforyou:

Me too on the temptation resistance today-- wayyyy tired this afternoon, feeling like crapola, all by myself in the van-- pulled into Dunkin Donuts for coffee-- sooooooo wanted something, not sure what-- but something--

But, I left with just my coffee and went to the grocery store and resisted there, too--
  • Marla64
    Options
    Rather with you on the facebook thing, too, Cheryl-- had way too much fun on it this summer and into the fall-- but, it's peetering out. I'm glad. I get hooked by the "social" aspect, to the exclusion of responsibilities around the house-- it's a great escape.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Rather with you on the facebook thing, too, Cheryl-- had way too much fun on it this summer and into the fall-- but, it's peetering out. I'm glad. I get hooked by the "social" aspect, to the exclusion of responsibilities around the house-- it's a great escape.

Yeah, I was thinking last night that fb is great for keeping track of people you've known. Especially people who change jobs, spouses, or cities.

A little more interesting than email. But way more annoying than it should be.

I think it is a good place to have your name and picture in case you want to reconnect with old / lost friends and family. But to go there every day is tedious and it can suck you in to stuff that is so unimportant.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    FYI: When you abstain from sugar for awhile there WILL be reprocussions when you eat 4 oreos.

Just sayin:sick:

Hi Jeannie,
    I had a terrible weekend. I ate way to much and I figured out I am totally an emotional eater.
    I found out a good friend of mine passed away about a week ago. I guess I eat when I'm sad.
    Then when I eat sugar it starts all types of cravings, have you found that to be true too?
    I was wondering if it is just me, or if others find that too.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Kelly, I am so sorry:cry:

I do find I want more and more. Unfortunately my cuz from NY opened a bakery and used me as a sample mailing to see how the cookies showed up. Well they are Italian.........so you know I got 4 boxes!! Manja!! LOL

Today I am 'feeding' the sugar monster with a fresh berry protien shake. lets see if it quiets her for a while.

I read the an article that explained the reasons we crave more sugar and fat when we eat If I come across the article I will post it.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Hey Sugar Abstaining Friends, here's one for you. Here I am realizing how sugar can take hold and I try to keep it out of my diet, yet I find myself making stuff for 'dessert' for the family. Sometimes I wonder why I am doing it, because I'm not doing them any favors. How can I learn a lesson and not pass it on to the family?

I don't make dessert daily, but it's becoming more and more expected, hubs even said so the other night. I'll do stuff like a sprite cake, banana bread, apple crisp, brownies, jello, sugar free pudding and cool whip. All stuff that is fairly inexpensive to make, cheaper than buying store bought, and better for them. But once again, am I feeding their sugar addictions? Am I making them dependent on sweets after meals?

One of those things that makes me go, "Hmmmmm".
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Controlled myself to two oreos last night....so yes I had sugar but I like being in control of it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

I don't make dessert daily, but it's becoming more and more expected, hubs even said so the other night. I'll do stuff like a sprite cake, banana bread, apple crisp, brownies, jello, sugar free pudding and cool whip. All stuff that is fairly inexpensive to make, cheaper than buying store bought, and better for them. But once again, am I feeding their sugar addictions? Am I making them dependent on sweets after meals?

Just MHO, but every day seems like a lot. Maybe, in the interest of moderation, cut back to once a week or so. Because I think you might be right about training a sugar addiction. I think it's a bad idea to be conditioned to think that dessert automatically comes after dinner. Just MO, but dessert was a daily (sometimes twice daily) thing in my household growing up, and I wish now that it hadn't been.

In other news, I am still strong, with few cravings.
  • 72lori
    Options

Just MHO, but every day seems like a lot. Maybe, in the interest of moderation, cut back to once a week or so. Because I think you might be right about training a sugar addiction. I think it's a bad idea to be conditioned to think that dessert automatically comes after dinner. Just MO, but dessert was a daily (sometimes twice daily) thing in my household growing up, and I wish now that it hadn't been.

Thats sort of my thoughts too. Dessert is not the end of dinner. I don't make stuff every day. Maybe a few times a week, a cake will last 2 nights, etc. In the summer we do much better with fresh fruits, it's harder this time of year.

I struggle between what I need to do for me and what is ok for kids. I don't buy Hostess Cupcakes and such for lunchboxes. They take Fiber One bars, animal crackers and stuff like that, so I'm not feeding them total sugar all the time.

Speaking of Hostess Cupcakes.... I was at Walmart and couldn't help but notice the heavy set woman filling her cart with Hostess and Little Debbie treats. She must have had 6 or 7 boxes of that stuff. Isn't it funny how I would have never noticed that before? Now all I could think about was the sugar and fat!
  • cmriverside
    Options

Thats sort of my thoughts too. Dessert is not the end of dinner. I don't make stuff every day. Maybe a few times a week, a cake will last 2 nights, etc. In the summer we do much better with fresh fruits, it's harder this time of year.

I struggle between what I need to do for me and what is ok for kids. I don't buy Hostess Cupcakes and such for lunchboxes. They take Fiber One bars, animal crackers and stuff like that, so I'm not feeding them total sugar all the time.

Speaking of Hostess Cupcakes.... I was at Walmart and couldn't help but notice the heavy set woman filling her cart with Hostess and Little Debbie treats. She must have had 6 or 7 boxes of that stuff. Isn't it funny how I would have never noticed that before? Now all I could think about was the sugar and fat!

Those words have been typed by me more times than I can count.

Exactly, you are teaching your kids how to eat.
    Exactly, look at what people have in their carts and then look at the people.

Good job, V. Way to hang tough.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Those words have been typed by me more times than I can count.

Exactly, you are teaching your kids how to eat.
    Exactly, look at what people have in their carts and then look at the people.

Good job, V. Way to hang tough.

I think I may have been weaned on Little Debbies! I can remember eating nothing but them for days as a child (I wasn't watched very much). I would still put a hurt on a package of nutty bars or star cakes or those stupid little walnut brownies if given the chance. I would hope that they would taste awful to me, though. A few years ago I bought some hamburger helper (because I have childhood memories of loving the stuff) and I literally had to throw it away after a few bites.