Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hope I can still join the sugar is not my friend challenge. I am newbie to mfp, and sure need support from others who are having a tough time getting rid of the evil white sugar! Have lost 5 lbs so far, and have been off sugar since 1/1. At least I haven't dipped into the sugar bowl since the cookie baking, eating fest of December 09! So, am I a member just by posting this reply?
    Maxine

Hi Maxine,
    Welcome to the " No Sugar Challenge".. I think your message may of got missed. People get talking
    about things on here and sometimes miss newbies. Good luck to you, I recently joined myself. Although
    this week my sugar intake hasn't been very good . today is a new day..
    I think I may be on the 12 step program , one day at a time lol....
    Kellygirl

Maxine and Kelly........do you count the sugar from fruit and milk? I do not really watch that and wonder if that is why I still have this belly, even in size 6p jeans.

I find this thread extra helpful when I am this close to a hersheys kissinterest.gif
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options
    Hope I can still join the sugar is not my friend challenge. I am newbie to mfp, and sure need support from others who are having a tough time getting rid of the evil white sugar! Have lost 5 lbs so far, and have been off sugar since 1/1. At least I haven't dipped into the sugar bowl since the cookie baking, eating fest of December 09! So, am I a member just by posting this reply?
    Maxine

Hi Maxine,
    Welcome to the " No Sugar Challenge".. I think your message may of got missed. People get talking
    about things on here and sometimes miss newbies. Good luck to you, I recently joined myself. Although
    Kellygirl

Maxine and Kelly........do you count the sugar from fruit and milk? I do not really watch that and wonder if that is why I still have this belly, even in size 6p jeans.

I find this thread extra helpful when I am this close to a hersheys kissinterest.gif

I don't count natural sugars they are unavoidable in dairy and fruit ( I know you didn't ask me, but that's my two cents). Dairy and fruit are crucial for a well balanced diet IMO.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I just had to post this, it cracked me up. Sorry, I'm an LOL Cat W****

LOLcat100caloriepack.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Maxine

Hi Maxine,
    Kellygirl

I don't count natural sugars they are unavoidable in dairy and fruit ( I know you didn't ask me, but that's my two cents). Dairy and fruit are crucial for a well balanced diet IMO.

Me either Cheryl. I eat all the fruit I want and milk when I want it. I get irritated because my sugar is always over by MFP standards. I had a cookie last night.

Anyway, as I was saying........fruit is good for you:bigsmile:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Doing well, but I want ice cream right now. Can't stop thinking about it. Not frozen yogurt either. Like a full out Dairy Queen blizzard or something. Good thing the closest one is about 20 miles away, I'm not that desperate.

I did walk by my son who was eating Peanut Buter Crunch cereal earlier today. Didn't even think. Stuck my hand in the container, grabbed out two little pieces and popped it in. A few seconds later, I actually stopped dead in my tracks, not because I did it without thinking, but because it tasted like garbage! I used to like that stuff. Not so much anymore. I'll take real food anyday. Like ice cream..... lol.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Shuntae- what is this you speak of about eating M&M's one at a time? I thought they were meant to pop a handful in at a time! :bigsmile: Good job! When you first said you ate 2 Tbsp of them, I thought, one gulp, gone. Glad you enjoyed yours.

Lori, what is this you speak of? Eating M&Ms a handful at a time? I thought they were meant to pop a bag at a time?
  • 72lori
    Options
    Shuntae- what is this you speak of about eating M&M's one at a time? I thought they were meant to pop a handful in at a time! :bigsmile: Good job! When you first said you ate 2 Tbsp of them, I thought, one gulp, gone. Glad you enjoyed yours.

Lori, what is this you speak of? Eating M&Ms a handful at a time? I thought they were meant to pop a bag at a time?

What size bag are we talking about? Individual or family size? LOL
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just saw the commercial for Pepsi Throwback - now with real sugar. So if real sugar is an advertising point, what they've been using is even worse?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Staying strong. . .although I wanted a popscicle so bad after Bikram today. Yes, I crave popscicles in the middle of January in Canada. . .that's how I roll, sisters!

Actually, my doctor told me it's a symptom of low iron (I'm anemic). So, it's extra meat for dinner tonight, and I settled for extra cold water.

Day two of my second fifteen days sugar free. Feeling strong.

Yeah, ladies, I hate it when a latte throws my sugar over for the day. Or a whole banana instead of half of one in my smoothie. I do find, though, that unsweetened sweet things are much sweeter to my taste now. A pear tastes like candy.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

What size bag are we talking about? Individual or family size? LOL

Yes. :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    FYI: When you abstain from sugar for awhile there WILL be reprocussions when you eat 4 oreos.

Just sayin:sick:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Yesterday had a small serving of banana pudding and had syrup on a waffle....other than that no sugar last week....Today starts a new sugar free week for me.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I just had to post this, it cracked me up. Sorry, I'm an LOL Cat W****

LOLcat100caloriepack.jpg

I love this!
  • chrissyh
    Options

Isn't that why they come in those handy pourable bags?!?!?!??!

M & Ms and me go way back - so far back that I have a restraining order against them....meaning if I started I know I couldn't restrain myself so I'll admire them at a distance on TV!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Staying strong. . .although I wanted a popscicle so bad after Bikram today. Yes, I crave popscicles in the middle of January in Canada. . .that's how I roll, sisters!

Actually, my doctor told me it's a symptom of low iron (I'm anemic). So, it's extra meat for dinner tonight, and I settled for extra cold water.

Day two of my second fifteen days sugar free. Feeling strong.

Yeah, ladies, I hate it when a latte throws my sugar over for the day. Or a whole banana instead of half of one in my smoothie. I do find, though, that unsweetened sweet things are much sweeter to my taste now. A pear tastes like candy.

You are amazing !
  • kellygirl2
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

no I'm only counting the refined sugar at this point. I try to buy low sugar products and only eat natural sugar, although this last weekend I caved. I'm getting back on track today and this is a new week.
    Kellygirl
  • kellygirl2
    Options
    FYI: When you abstain from sugar for awhile there WILL be reprocussions when you eat 4 oreos.

Hi Jeannie,
    I had a terrible weekend. I ate way to much and I figured out I am totally an emotional eater.
    I found out a good friend of mine passed away about a week ago. I guess I eat when I'm sad.
    Then when I eat sugar it starts all types of cravings, have you found that to be true too?
    I was wondering if it is just me, or if others find that too.
    Thanks,
    Kelly
  • 72lori
    Options

Hi Jeannie,
    I had a terrible weekend. I ate way to much and I figured out I am totally an emotional eater.
    I found out a good friend of mine passed away about a week ago. I guess I eat when I'm sad.
    Then when I eat sugar it starts all types of cravings, have you found that to be true too?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Oh you bet. Once I start on sugar it can get out of hand and ugly real quick like! I am working on moderation, but it's hard.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Hi Jeannie,
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Oh you bet. Once I start on sugar it can get out of hand and ugly real quick like! I am working on moderation, but it's hard.

Yes, Jeannie Oreos. Gotcha. :sick:

Yes, Kelly. Food as comfort, food as punishment, food as friend. We all do it (well, I think a lot of us do...) And yet, exercise makes me feel good in all those times, too. I'm working on that substitute.

Exercise = Good
    Too Much Food = Bad
    (say it with me......"Sugar is not my friend.")

Lori, you have been doing so much better, don't you think? Moderation is doable!:flowerforyou:

V - Again, thank you so much for your blog. I read "#2" last night. You are so smart.......:smooched:

I've managed to stay away from M&Ms. Trail mix is my current :devil: . I somehow convince myself it's okay to eat a whole 1500 calories of it in two or three days. Somebody stop me!
    U-turn U-turn U-turn........
  • cmriverside
    Options