Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Lalalalalalalalalala can't hear you (chocolate covered potato chips, are a trigger food for me.)

I am strong and powerful.

and sugar is not my friend.
  • tamarads
    Options
    ok so my sugar yesterday was only 18 grams :) yay me....
    and today is just starting so we will see.. but so far i have done good... and i am PMSing so i have been craving some chocolate (and chips) but i have been behaving....
    I am having pooping issues though:embarassed: i dont know if its the 0 sugar thing or what.... lol not that any of you care about my BM issues ... but now you all know ha!

How the heck can you only have 18 grams? Holy moley, I am impressed. My milk substitutes all have at least 10 grams per glass. The soy yogurt I am eating has about 20. I do have a plain soy yogurt that only has 3 grams, but then I have to add fruit to it for flavor, and there's more sugar.

Anyways, the chocolate and chips cravings got me thinking, about chocolate covered potato chips! Yummmmm Have you ever had them? I made a bunch over the holidays and people were amazed at how scrumptious they were. I did throw some away after new years though. Because sugar is not my friend.

OMG chocolate covered potato chips are the BEST!!!! and now i wish i had some lol....
    As for my milk products and their sugar content .... im not a huge milk drinker .. i have been eating the Source by yoplait yogurts and they are 4g of sugar and cheese strings which have apparently 0g of sugar... :)
  • tamarads
    Options
    Wow, hadn't thought of string cheese with no sugar... thanks for the tip!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Sugar is SO not my friend!!

I was in meetings today. They are aweful..........just aweful boring:yawn: and cold and then....then.....:cry: th the then.....the bring in a huge plate of brownies with iceing. Plop that sucker right down in front of ME!! :sad: :sad:

I got up
    moved the coffee pot in front of me, and moved the cookies down by the District manager..........he gave me the :huh:

I said " I did not work over a year to lose almost 40 pounds to gain it in these meetings. Haven't you all ever heard of an apple?" :laugh:

Everyone held their breath....................and he said " Well you are so right......I want an apple now! " So I went and got him one!

Sugar coma averted. (sp)

WOOT!:flowerforyou:

Thanks Cheryl for starting this thread! :heart:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    You go Jeannie!

Sorry to everyone else for making you drool over chocolate covered potato chips....

I just finished my food diary for the day... Am way over in sugar, because the chocolate hemp milk I bought (was outrageously expensive, but I had to buy it to show off the "hemp" to my DH) had like 48 grams of sugar in it! But, I will admit, it is the best tasting milk substitute I've had so far. Must be the sugar, lol.

Sugar is not my friend... but it sure tastes damn good. Back to day 0 for me.
  • johnnysax
    Options
    am not a sweet tooth person ,but i need it in my coffee,,
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,988 Member
    Options
    No rule is so engraved in stone that breaking it will do permanent damage - where food is concerned.
    (That's not some fancy quote, by the way...jus' sayin')
    ~~~~~~

So I noticed something yesterday. (Maybe I'm a little slowwwww.) I had a nice lunch. I eat every four hours, and I'm pretty fussy about that. It works for me.
    At four hours yesterday I was standing in line at Goodwill waiting to pay. I spotted my old friend, SnickersAlmondBar - right there in front of me. I mentally leaned into it. My hand didn't move. Now in the past I've been known to pick it up, smell it even, then put it back...or not put it back.

I knew it was going to be a minimum of 45 minutes until I could eat. But right then, I planned how and where I would eat on the way home instead of trying to make it home.

The sugar is not winning. Ta-Da.
    But I notice that the old habits may always be there. AND WhatTheHeck is Snickers doing at Goodwill? Are they "gently-used" Snickers? :grumble:

I have un-friended sugar.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    No rule is so engraved in stone that breaking it will do permanent damage - where food is concerned.
    (That's not some fancy quote, by the way...jus' sayin')
    ~~~~~~

So I noticed something yesterday. (Maybe I'm a little slowwwww.) I had a nice lunch. I eat every four hours, and I'm pretty fussy about that. It works for me.
    At four hours yesterday I was standing in line at Goodwill waiting to pay. I spotted my old friend, SnickersAlmondBar - right there in front of me. I mentally leaned into it. My hand didn't move. Now in the past I've been known to pick it up, smell it even, then put it back...or not put it back.

I knew it was going to be a minimum of 45 minutes until I could eat. But right then, I planned how and where I would eat on the way home instead of trying to make it home.

The sugar is not winning. Ta-Da.
    But I notice that the old habits may always be there. AND WhatTheHeck is Snickers doing at Goodwill? Are they "gently-used" Snickers? :grumble:

I have un-friended sugar.

Sounds like we need a picket line outside goodwill....

No more sugar, no more sugar!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I made it through the first 15 days of my self-challenge. Yay me! Tomorrow will involve one (unrefined sugar) sweet if I decide I still want it. . .I'm kind of on the fence about it, I'm enjoying the control of saying no, if that makes sense.

Stay strong, sugar free sisters!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I am pretty proud of myself.

I had a crappy day. We got a new computer system at work, and my boss, who is 62 hates it. Doesn't want to learn how to use it. Normally he's the most mellow of guys, but today he had a grouch on. It rubbed off on me. Since we switched to the new system, I've been getting more hours (yay, more money), but I've kinda gotten used to only working until 12 or 1. Today, I worked until 3. I had planned on going to the Y after work (at like noon or 1). I still went to the Y, but I only had 45 minutes, and I wasn't able to shower when I was done, because I had to rush home and pick up my son to take him to viola lessons.

Needless to say, I'm cranky. Normally, I'd be sitting here with a bowl of ice cream in my lap, instead of the computer, medicating my mood. I mean, I do have some Rice Dream ice cream in the freezer. But I'm not really jonesing for it.

Progress is being made. Day 1 down.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Needless to say, I'm cranky. Normally, I'd be sitting here with a bowl of ice cream in my lap, instead of the computer, medicating my mood. I mean, I do have some Rice Dream ice cream in the freezer. But I'm not really jonesing for it.

Progress is being made. Day 1 down.

Woohoo-Dance.gif pettmybunny! Nice job!
    I made it through the first 15 days of my self-challenge. Yay me! Tomorrow will involve one (unrefined sugar) sweet if I decide I still want it. . .I'm kind of on the fence about it, I'm enjoying the control of saying no, if that makes sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~

V - congratulations-1.gif

Nice to know you can do anything you decide to do when it comes to what you put in your own body. We don't have control over all of our life, but we do have control over that. :flowerforyou:
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Boy, today sucked. It poured rain. I realized that i have not gone ANYWHERE, indeed I haven't left the property at ALL, in almost a month. My workday was short and late, which always makes me kinda cranky (means I'm up late doing laundry until midnight as opposed to being cozy in bed watching a movie at 9 to be asleep before 11.)

I consumed. Sitting around waiting for the washing machine to be done, I had 2 fingers of scotch followed by a glass of cinzano (mmm, delicious.) I got my breakfast oatmeal ready for tomorrow and fiddled with some things in my food diary. Then, waiting for the dryer, the fridge began to call. The tramp had me succumb to a big bowl of rice, a couple walnuts, some yogurt with a little jam. Nothing too terrible, but I was still probably ballparking 1000cals over my limit for today all told.

I had some strength, though. I wanted to shove entire cakes into my face, to drown in whipped cream to be found in the morning frothy at the mouth passed out in a sugar coma. I didn't touch a single sweet! As badly as I wanted to, with my head stuck all the way into that enormous double-door fridge, I didn't upend the can of whipped cream into my mouth and throw it ALL away.

As hard as i look, I never find the meaning of life in the freakin fridge but that always seems to be the first place I look for it. Maybe I should start making magnets or something to remind myself.

Goodnight, good stuff V, prettymybunny, cheryl--you're kicking butt!
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which provides recommendations on good dietary habits to promote health and reduce the risk of diseases, doesn't spell out how much added sugar you should get. But the guidelines do suggest the number of discretionary calories you can have based on your situation, such as age and physical activity level. For example, if you should consume 2,000 calories a day for a healthy diet, 267 of those calories would be discretionary calories that you could "spend" on food or drinks that contain added sugar, solid fats and alcohol. The more you have of one, the less you can have of another. For instance, you could consume all of your discretionary calories either by eating one sugary snack or by having a couple of alcoholic drinks.

The American Heart Association (AHA), however, is so concerned about health problems related to the excess consumption of added sugar that in August 2009 it issued specific recommendations. These recommendations go beyond the guidance from the USDA. The AHA recommends that no more than half of your discretionary allowance of calories come from added sugar.

In general, the AHA says that most American women should consume no more than 100 calories a day from added sugar, and that most American men should consume no more than 150 calories a day from added sugar — and that even less is better. That's about 6 teaspoons of added sugar for women and 9 for men. Your age and activity level help determine the specific amount of added sugar suitable for you. To put things into perspective, one 12-ounce can of a sweetened soft drink contains 8 teaspoons of added sugar, or about 130 calories.

Most Americans get more than 22 teaspoons a day of added sugar — or 355 calories — far exceeding both USDA guidelines and American Heart Association recommendations.

:frown: :ohwell:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845

_______________________________________________________________________________-

I really hope that the next thing that is required on labels is the added sugars. Sugars are not all created equal, we need to know what kind we are consuming. It needs to be broken down like fats are on a label in order to get a better idea. I too have done some reading and research on daily reccommendations for sugar and pretty much came to the conclusion it's not worth tracking my sugar, just cut out most of the added stuff, at least for me, the glaring things. It's a hard thing to track when you eat a lot of fruit that has natural sugars in them.

I have been doing well in the sugar department, haven't been here for a few days to check in, but I'm still hanging strong. I have been actually eating most of my exercise calories, novel idea, and I eat every 3 hours, so truly, all I freaking do is eat. I don't ever get a time when I'm hungry and feel the need to go on a sugar binge. More often than not, I eat even though I'm not really hungry, just because it's time to do it. Plus, I eat what fits into my macronutrient allotment, I don't eat what I 'want or crave', I try not to even think about it, I eat what my body needs.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Pettmybunny-good job! It's tough when a bad attitude works its way around. YOu did good!

viviakay-I know what you mean - just one week last week of saying no to sweets when I caved early this week on this piece of cake I felt out of control....felt good last night to say no to junk and had some popcorn instead.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I had a blueberry muffin this morning. Lots of sugar. And calories. It was good...but not that good.

*hangs her head in shame*
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    husband bought Devil Dogs the other night-- worked one into my calories for the day.

Tasted yummy. Controlled. it's all good.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Ugh. I had a blueberry muffin this morning. Lots of sugar. And calories. It was good...but not that good.

*hangs her head in shame*

I just had homemade banana bread muffin. I just sat and did the math in my head (it took me a minute... (lets see, if there's 4 tablespoons in a quarter cup, and three teaspoons per tablespoon... etc). I figured it out to be two teaspoons of sugar per muffin. And that was with me halfing the sugar amounts. Holy crapola! And here I was thinking I made them all healthy with my soy yogurt in place of oil and 50/50 flour instead of all purpose, and by halfing the sugar. Well, I'm still not gonna give them up. They give me pleasure, and if I stick to just one, it'll all be ok...

Or so I tell myself. We'll see how I do the rest of the day with added sugars. At the end of the day, I'll figure out if I can count this as day 2 or not... We have a swim team banquet tonight. I was struggling with what to take, our grade is supposed to bring side salads. Last year I took broccoli cheese salad, but it's a no-no this year with the allergies. I thought about a taco salad, but it's got added cheese (although I could take a small container with no cheese for me). Finally decided on chinese coleslaw. No nutritional value hardly, because of the ramen, but it's something I can eat. I think. Shoot, I forgot to read the ramen ingredients. Dang. It can't have milk or eggs in it, can it? There's no nutritional value to them! lol... Guess I better go read the list.

Hee hee Forgot that I was going on about the banquet... The seniors are bringing desserts, so I know I'll be tempted. I will do my best. Sugar Shun On!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Good morning, Sugar Warriors!

Marla - who's the cutie-pie in the av? Is that you? Are we doing facebook carry-over? Love it. Great job on the saying "no"

Kayt - I hope you find a way to escape the property sooooon, it's always good to get out in the beautiful outdoors. Especially when you live in Paradise. It's been raining here for six days straight. I've been forcing myself to go to the pool to pretend I'm somewhere warm (the pool is at 83*)

1corinthians13 - I love blueberry muffins
    petmybunny - I love homemade banana bread

I don't think you need to completely give up what you love. There is a happy medium. It is different for everyone. If I start bringing sugar home (except the hummingbird's white sugar - blech) I get in trouble late at night. I have plan my sugar and stick to small amounts.
    That's something I need to learn how to control. I don't know when I want to tackle that, if ever. I just see no reason to have white sugary treats. That's just me. Now honey - - that's another story.....every few days I'll have honey. Sometimes just in a spoon by itself. I won't buy any when it is gone this time. A honey-break is over due. I've done it before, no reason not to do it again. . . . .:grumble:

You guys are the BEST! You make me think. :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Thanks Cheryl for the reminder that it's not about everything. I knew that, because I'm still eating the sugary soy yogurt (I haven't really found one that's low except plain), but sometimes I get bogged down. Like the realization of just how much was in each muffin, not including the natural sugars.

That's the cool thing about banana bread recipies, they are very flexible. I've tweaked here and there, and am still tweaking. Each time I make it, I reduce the sugar, and they always taste fine. I'm probably getting to almost the can't take away anymore line, since I used a quarter cup brown sugar and a quarter cup regular. Maybe next time, I'll just use 1/3 cup brown and see what happens. lol Tweak tweak tweak...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, that is moi in the AV. Found the only stinkin' picture of me, basically, that my dipsh!t mother had taken of me as a child. Last child, only daughter...you'd think there'd be a couple more pics layin' around, eh?

But, am I bitter? nahhhhhhhhhhh. :wink:

I didn't say no the Devil Dogs. I said just one. And no more. I'm saying yes to teh sweets, in controlled portions. Otherwise, I spin out of control when I get them. Idiot that I can be.

Later, my sweets!