Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options
Marla started a "No Sweets" challenge last month. We are all in the learning curve, and all of us are in different places of life and in our healthy lifestyle journey.

She asked me to carry over these thoughts from that thread in December:

Well, for me, staying away from the sugar completely is the best thing to do. However, when I first tried to "abstain" from sugar I was really hard on myself when I would slip. In the beginning of my weight-loss process, I was a serious sugar addict, and really didn't have much success in stopping the sweets. Somewhere around the second plateau, I realized that I wasn't getting anything out of the sugar. It was holding me back, and I wasn't controlling it. I was doing what some of you here have done in the past month.
1. Living on sugar for days at a time
2. Once I started eating it, I figured,"What the heck, I already messed up." (therefore I may as well keep eating it till I'm sick)
3. Just pretending it didn't happen, and not even trying to log the calories (the "Tomorrow is another day" approach)

Then I did a "No Sweets" challenge for three months. The first month I would just forget and eat some - a difficult habit to break. But I didn't "plunge" back into the day-long binge because I knew I had to come on here and tell about it. That first month was tough. I longingly looked at the bakery stuff and the candies.

The second month, I made it through all but two days. And again, it was because I forgot, and had a cookie.

The third month I was vigilent and made it easily through without sugar.

That was last year (Jan-Feb-Mar). Notice the only HOLIDAY in those three months is Valentines Day. I am not in a relationship, so no one bought me candy. And I bought myself a "Chocolate" Pearl ring. Clearly, no one was buying me jewelry, either.

Since that time, I realize that some days are okay for me to have sweets. I decided holidays are okay. THE DAY, not the week leading up to it and the three days after!! My birthday is okay. My two nephews birthdays. But the rest of the time it's fairly easy to stay away from sweets. Of course, I eat fruit and occassionally have sugar free cocoa.

So I think everyone will reach a happy-medium at some point. We all make our own rules. We all change the rules as we go along.

~ Cheryl
_________________________________________________________________________________

(oh, here is the old thread)
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73404-no-sweets-til-christmas

_________________________________________________________________________________

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,751 Member
    Options
    This couldn't come at a better time! I was doing very good (20 some days sweets free) and the last 10 days fell so hard it's embarrassing to admit. It's hard to imagine I can go from eating none, even when baking and having it around, to eating my weight in cookies.

I am still contemplating how to handle sweets. Moderation is the key. Moderation seems to be my issue. I can do none, I can do all. I need that happy medium where I eat an occasional sweet, feel ok about it, count it in my calories and leave it at that until the next time I decide it's ok to have a little something. That's the road I'm looking for in this journey, I want to control sweets, not have them control me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    I just thought of all the goodies in the supermarket and the drugstores and the restaurrants. I used to get irritated that they were everywhere and I wanted some. Then two things happened:

1. I started looking at all the seriously obese people with that stuff in their shopping carts, and in front of them at restaurants.

2. I realized I'm not a little kid who should feel deprived of something that is bad for me anyway. I know better. Doesn't make it easy; doesn't make it fun.

It is what it is.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Say that three times, my friends--

Sugar is not my friend--
    Sugar is not my friend--
    Sugar is NOT my friend--

Ha-- thanks so much, Cheryl--

I'll enjoy having this place to come for sweets accountability--

Happy New Year--
    (Sugar is not my friend)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Say that three times, my friends--

Sugar is not my friend--
    Sugar is not my friend--
    Sugar is NOT my friend--

Ha-- thanks so much, Cheryl--

I'll enjoy having this place to come for sweets accountability--

Happy New Year--
    (Sugar is not my friend)

Ha ha. You're funny. elastic is not your friend either. But that is for another day.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Sugar is not my friend!

I didn't participate in the December challenge, but I'm hoping it's not too late to get on the train for January. There have been a lot of buffets around here lately with cake and tembleque and coconut flan (oh, that coconut flan is my downfall!) and I've been having a really hard time resisting. I'll eat well and stay within my calorie range, and then the thought of all those desserts stacked up in the fridge like some big, silver, industrial mecca start to needle away at me and I'll cave. Time after time.

I'm usually a salty/crunchy craver, so this sweet tooth isn't something I'm used to and therefore, I ahven't developed the tools to resist it yet! I'm hoping that having somewhere to be accountable for my sugar cravings will help me say NO to sugar. I failed again this evening, dipping in for a little spoonful of whipped topping, but then I found this thread.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I completely bombed the no sweets 'til Christmas challenge. Hopefully I can muster up a bit more self-control for January. I wanted to go all-out and cut out the sweets completely, but as soon as I start detoxing, I kinda go crazy, so I'm going to allow myself hot chocolate and flavoured coffees. Those aren't things I have a problem with, and am generally satisfied with 1 serving, and the calorie count is relatively low, so I'm hoping they'll help prevent me from binging.

Here we go again, and SUGAR IS NOT MY FRIEND!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    This couldn't come at a better time! I was doing very good (20 some days sweets free) and the last 10 days fell so hard it's embarrassing to admit. It's hard to imagine I can go from eating none, even when baking and having it around, to eating my weight in cookies.

I am still contemplating how to handle sweets. Moderation is the key. Moderation seems to be my issue. I can do none, I can do all. I need that happy medium where I eat an occasional sweet, feel ok about it, count it in my calories and leave it at that until the next time I decide it's ok to have a little something. That's the road I'm looking for in this journey, I want to control sweets, not have them control me.

I couldn't say it better myself.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Sugar is not my friend. Sugar is not my friend. Sugar is not my friend.

I just saw a sign go up directly underneath and next to my apartment for a new gelato store.

Sugar is not my friend.

My first mini-goal: no sweets of any kind until the 15th of January, and no refined sugar anything until Jan. 31st.

I need support and accountability to slay the sugar beast. I do very well with this, until I get stressed. Lately, I am always stressed.

Sugar is not my friend.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not my friend. I have tried the all-or nothing approach, and it worked pretty well when I had nothing...but watch your fingers and your children when I have one. I want it all. I'm going back to what I was doing before...the occasional mini piece of candy that fits into my calories, and dessert only if it is something I absolutely love or rarely have. I will keep my yogurt, fruit, (occasional) sugar free dark chocolate pudding, and peanut butter...but cake and pie can go away. Still working on the cookie thing, though. Chocolate chip cookies are a whole different game...but I am good when I don't bake them and have them at home. The happy medium will come in time and with much practice.

Glad to be back on track with y'all.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Fantastic! I am so excited to see viviakay join us this month. As you "December-No-Sweets" participants may remember,I posted a link to her blog on the last thread because she eloquently stated the whole "Holiday" theory that I adopted.

I liked the numbers last month, so I will be adding my numbers of sweets this time, not how many days I have gone without sweets. I really think I can make it through the month with little damage, but we shall see.

I see Shuntae says she is "keeping" peanut butter....I buy sugar-free organic stuff from TJ's so I would never think to count that. Also, I buy 100% whole wheat bread with HFCS, so technically I guess that is "sugar"- but for my purposes, I am counting no-nutrition type sugars. Candy, Cokes, Ice Cream or frozen yogurt, bakery, sugary cereals. . . TREATS. Obviously you are going to eat some sugars in any processed foods unless you are "Sugar-Nazi". My main goal is to stay away from processed sugar. I will still use honey occassionally and I have Stevia as a sugar substitute. Neither of those cause me to binge.

So:
    Day one Jan 1, 2010 - - 1 tsp honey :smile:
  • jenni3626
    jenni3626 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I totally agreed with what was shared, especially about eating some and then feeling SHAME and wanting to eat more after that . . . I do this almost to punish myself. Wow, that's crazy. Getting it out of our lives, or at least to the outer boarders, is smart! Before I saw this tread I just posted a new support thread titled, "Sugar Drug Fast". Looks like there are a lot of people working toward the same goal. Good luck to everyone! We can do this.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Jenn, Welcome!
    I do this almost to punish myself. Wow, that's crazy.

I can sooooo relate to this statement. I was thinking that exact same thing last night when I was posting this thread. Sadly we even punish ourselves in PRIVATE.....eating all the sugary junk when no one is looking.

I finally decided it was more punishment to have to keep losing those "last ten pounds" after going sugar-ballistic. It makes a huge difference in your body when you've gotten off sugar.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Sadly we even punish ourselves in PRIVATE.....eating all the sugary junk when no one is looking.

AGREED! How many times have I stood in front of the fridge literally cramming my mouth full of as much sugar-filled junk food as I could in as little time as possible. I don't know the number of times, but I did it two nights ago (not to that extent, but i had a quickie with the can of whipped cream and felt damn guilty for cheating on my healthy diet with that cheap tramp!)

sugar is not my friend. sugar is not my friend.

So far so good today, skipped the maple syrup on my pancakes today at breakfast! here's hoping I can do as well for the erst of the day.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I have gone from 0 to 90 in 3 short weeks. I will not list the wonderful confections I have consumed, but suffice it to say I could sweeten all of MFPs morning coffee with what I have consumed.

I am joining to keep me aware of what I put in my mouth. I have gone 3 days and the DTs are getting to me now....:laugh:
    The good news is I had so much sugar, that it makes me sick to my stomach to see it right now.

Good work to you all, and may the force be with us to lose that last dang 10 pounds :grumble:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    oh and BTW, I just ate dry roasted almonds instead of trail mix...........just because I read this thread!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    oh and BTW, I just ate dry roasted almonds instead of trail mix...........just because I read this thread!!

oh, I am NOT giving up trail mix ppfffffftttttt:noway:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I have gone from 0 to 90 in 3 short weeks. I will not list the wonderful confections I have consumed, but suffice it to say I could sweeten all of MFPs morning coffee with what I have consumed.

I am joining to keep me aware of what I put in my mouth. I have gone 3 days and the DTs are getting to me now....:laugh:
    The good news is I had so much sugar, that it makes me sick to my stomach to see it right now.

Good work to you all, and may the force be with us to lose that last dang 10 pounds :grumble:

Yeah, the detox is lovely-- I have an urge to eat all day today-- hanging strong, though--
  • arewethereyet
    Options

oh, I am NOT giving up trail mix ppfffffftttttt:noway:

:bigsmile: mine had m and ms in it so had to pass
    raisens are ok in my book.........but those lil candies are evil:devil:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,751 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of back on track. Detox big time. No groceries in the house. Had a protein shake. Went to the store. No kidding, I was shaking and feeling terrible from lack of food and lack of sugar, it's been so part of my life the past 2 weeks. Hubs walked into the commissary after his haircut with Taco Bell and I wanted to attack it. I didn't. I continued to chomp my gum like my life depended on it.

I've kicked it before, I'll kick it again.

Sugar is not only not my friend, it's the flipping enemy!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Lori, Jeannie, Marla hug3.gif

Great job. :flowerforyou: This too shall pass. REALLY remember this feeling....in detail......so you can pull it up in your memory next time you want to overindulge. :ohwell:

It works.
    Yay for you!!!!