Part of me really wants to stop getting on here...

Options
1235»

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    From being on here a while, I would say this:

Chances are you are asking something that has been asked a million times. You might not realize it. People on here expect you to search before asking. Which is time consuming and is hard to sort through at times but, expected.

If you lurk around for a bit, you will see what I mean.

Also, some people are just mean. Often, they forget that there are people on the other end of the computer and they say things they would NEVER say in person.

Hang in there and don't let a few jerks keep you from becoming the best you can be.

What I don't get is that the same people who complain about 'use the search feature' are often the ones who post pointless, repetitive memes.

OP: Build up a strong network of friends who have common goals and/or personalities and then you won't need the forums. :) You'll have a support group who will be unlikely to be cruel to you. Unfortunately MFP is a public forum where anyone can post whatever they want and this leads to a lot of personality clashes.

The people who have offended you aren't bad people, necessarily, they just have a different personality and are unable to adapt their behavior around those who don't get their sense of humor. Instead of letting them bother you, just brush it off and focus on the people who don't offend you.

I know it's hard but MFP itself is a valuable tool. The forums are NOT mandatory to your weight loss, they are just an added bonus if you can find support and motivation in them.

My advice? Stick to the support and motivation section for awhile. I think you'll see a lot that you like. :)
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to think of MFP as a war zone. The general forums are the front lines, if you go there, people WILL shoot at you. If you make nice friends, they can interact with you on your wall and vice versa. Interacting with your friends walls is what I call, "in the rear, with the gear". Always keep the flak jacket on when you approach the general forums, wear your combat helmet, keep your head down and always, always shoot from cover. Dismissed.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree it's a little early to write off mfp because some people may have been rude,,, continue reading post and find people you have common interests with ... my friends list has alot of triathletes ... and I'm getting backing into working out and want to do another triathlon,
    Also some night shift people as I work night shift and eat schedules can get messed up... Also some kayakers and rock climbers and
    some tall women as I'm 5'10

I haven't been here that long but most of my friends have been added due to a common interest so we can motivate and support each other....

a few are sarcastic ... but once you read there posts enough you learn this is just their personality .... lol
  • KSCarnivore
    Options
    Why do you care what people think or say? If you can't handle the responses that you get, then don't post questions or ask for advice. If you want to lose weight or watch your diet or whatever your reason is for being here, you ultimately have to motivate and police yourself.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a believer of the notion that people are in general good. I believe, in general, people suck. Good people are the exception, not the norm. The internet just allows people to be more openly nasty.

Surround yourself with supportive people, and stay off the message boards. That is my best advice for you.

:happy:
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it here, don't post in the forums. I have nothing but awesome people on my FL and just come here to pass the time when I am bored.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    WELCOME :) Please don't give up this is a wonderful place
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    I have never had anyone be mean or rude to me. But I also don't post foum topics either.
  • tnichol4
    tnichol4 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try and ignore those idiots! This website has saved my life, keep on keeping on. You will do awesome.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I wont think twoce about something someone says, and I'll see another person get really personally upset. You have different personalities here and they often wont jive. I can sit here all day and argue about something without even thinking twice about it, but just have a debate about something. Where as, unkown to me, you are seething and ready to stab me. It's weird to me. I almost never feel like people are attacking me, and then they do, I just block them so I don't have to see them anymore. So, it takes care of itself. But, if you're sensitive, you probably should stay away from internet forums in general, because pretty much every single one I've been on is kinda like this one. The ones that are all nicey nice and pretty much dead.
  • mrsbee48
    mrsbee48 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We are all here for the samething; reach our weight goal and be healthier. So I beleive we should all help one another and there is no place for sarcasm.... it's the same price to be nice. And if we do have a question, why can't we leanr from your experiences? I'm rady to share mine ....:wink:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots, the internet is full of them

I have been here on mfp before, and i left because a friend of mine who used to be on here was posting really rude stuff, and i ended up gaining instead of losing. I rejoined after my kid was born and after I couldn't breastfeed anymore, and the people that have me as their friend are amazing :)

Posting on the forums equals not easy, but i have learned that if I don't have the confidence to ignore the negative and take the positive, then i'm screwed. (I'm going to school for Journalism, and in particularly for sports) And i have also learned that i'm comfortable enough to know when to not care as to what others think of me.

Please don't leave. Just ignore the haters, and you will do awesome :D
  • natsgirl60
    natsgirl60 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with most on here. You will get jerks anywhere you go. The best way to avoid in my opinion has already been shared, build a friend list and ignore the meanies!!