"Eat More To Weigh More"

Options

Replies

• mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat more, of course more heathlier food choices.

I eat around 2000 calories a day, I am 5'3" went from a size 10 to a size 4. Eating to my TDEE worked for me and I feel so much better.

Love this!! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Congratulations on your success !! I am 5'1 You are an inspiration! I eat 1800 a day and am losing steadily. i will eat between 2000 and 2100 to maintain when im done losing!

:drinker:

Thank you so much Tonya (btw thats my middle name). :-) I am now in maintenance and am trying to stay at my current weight/size. Eating more definately got me out of my plateau. Best wishes to you in your journey!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    So my question is this..

If you eat more to weigh less, what's up with all the skinny people in Ethiopia? Are they all just eating so much that they get real skinny?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people do not plateau just because they don't follow the EM approach. I would bet just as many people "plateau" trying the EM approach because people react badly to the lower (1200 +) numbers regardless of the person's actual stats and are told, "You need to eat more." I've seen people be told they are in starvation mode and need to eat more when they are eating 1700 calories, female. That's unlikely, unless the person is very active and fit. So if the poor girl followed that advice, she probably went from maintenance to gain. (Even if she were very overweight, it would be doubtful that she'd have trouble with any kind of starvation mode at 1700 calories.)

I don't have any problems with EM except that a few people aggressively promote it when they don't understand it, and a few other people scoff at anyone and everyone eating lower numbers even without knowing their individual situation. But those same arguments could be made on the other side of the coin, too.

MFP sets me at 1200 calories no matter if I choose .5 lbs a week and the highest activity setting. It's ok with me. Sometimes I eat more, just listen to my body. Right now I'm not even really focusing on weight loss and am often not even tracking. But when I get back to it, I'll go back to the way I was doing it before, when I lost weight really well but was building strength (though not muscle--the fitness posters helpfully explained to me how you build strength but not necessarily muscle.)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you do that, my problem is how some of the eat more weigh less folks are so insistent that it will work for everyone. Eating 2000+ calories may help some lose weight, but others may gain. That's the range I was eating while I was gaining, I can't eat that and expect to lose. But some folks are fortunate where they don't have that problem.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Dang it!! You mean I have been doing it wrong the last 3 years!! Crap..... Well to late now might as well stay the course and keep Eating more to weigh less........... If only I knew...... Crap Crap Crap!!! :drinker:

In short... Yes. You could have done it in 2!
    You realise Ed has lost 311 pounds and is one of the biggest, most muscular guys on here now, right?
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Dang it!! You mean I have been doing it wrong the last 3 years!! Crap..... Well to late now might as well stay the course and keep Eating more to weigh less........... If only I knew...... Crap Crap Crap!!! :drinker:

You realise Ed has lost 311 pounds and is one of the biggest, most muscular guys on here now, right?

Which is EXACTLY another point that is never really explored with all of this "Eat more business"....Ed stopped being a couch potato and became very, very physically active. (ie he created an automatic calorie deficit with all of the hard core exercise)...But here is the kicker...The minute that Ed stops exercising (but continues to eat at his higher caloric level)...He will blow back up again...(gain weight).
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I think the "thing" about eating more to weigh less is that A LOT of people just use it to justify adding complete and total crap to their diet. A lot of people do it right, but a LOT of people do it wrong.

Also, the die-hard eat more to weigh less people seem to be under the impression that the same thing works for everyone. Silliness. I loose the best betwixt 1100-1400 calories. I'm not even remotely starving and you can flick through my diary to see cookies, pizza, m&ms........................................... in small portions.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    So my question is this..

If you eat more to weigh less, what's up with all the skinny people in Ethiopia? Are they all just eating so much that they get real skinny?

It's all that late-night tv fundraising. They can afford to have 5000 calories a day and the fat just melts off.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a good 4 months and did nothing but gain. I was eating whole, healthy foods, not junk. I started at 1500 and slowly gained, decided to do a 6 week metabolic reset and just gained. Dropped back down to 1800, then 1500 after 6 weeks and Still gained. Now I am at 1300 again and slowly losing at 1 lb per week.

Maybe I have a slower metabolism than most, but and I am not saying it does not work for some, but for me, it did not work, and it wasn't for lack of trying.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    yes, you are right.It's a silly saying that eat more to weight less.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    I like your opinion
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    I like your opinion

I like yours too!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This conversation has no point because there ar two sides here and you don't agree with what "eat more weight less" means.
    I was loosing weight at 1200, but after a while hit platoe, raised at 1500 and started to loose again but i could never loose weight with eating more than 1800.(ofc i could if i trained hard)
    That's absurd!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You tried it...it didn't work for you. Shame. Why the need to start a thread about it and stir? :huh:

Hope you have found something that works for you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

HELLO......It takes 4500+ calories per day to maintain a body weight of 500+ lbs...are you saying that you continued to eat more than 4500 calories or are you saying that you dropped your calorie consumption below 4500 calories per day? If you dropped your calorie consumption below 4500 calories per day...then YOU DID NOT EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS than 500lbs!

Haha I just shot milk out my nose literally.... Lol. 4500 calories a day at my height before my AHA moment I was consuming well over 8000 calories a day..... my nutritionist started me out on a meal plan 2400 calories a day... Fast forward 38 months and I am still eating in a caloric deficit to lose 1/2 lbs. a week and currently am it 3400 calories a day. (Yes I am in the camp of eating my exercise calories back) So yes I eat more to weigh less........ Best of Luck
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    You tried it...it didn't work for you. Shame. Why the need to start a thread about it and stir? :huh:

Why do people create threads that say "it does work" and that "people should try it!"
    This is just opposing opinions.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As this is in FUN AND GAMES...
    Think about it people :bigsmile:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This conversation has no point because there ar two sides here and you don't agree with what "eat more weight less" means.
    I was loosing weight at 1200, but after a while hit platoe, raised at 1500 and started to loose again but i could never loose weight with eating more than 1800.(ofc i could if i trained hard)
    That's absurd!

Are you saying that since Jan 2012 you have lost a total of 2lbs(when you needed to lose 34)... and yet you believe that your metabolism was "reset"?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Which is EXACTLY another point that is never really explored with all of this "Eat more business"....Ed stopped being a couch potato and became very, very physically active. (ie he created an automatic calorie deficit with all of the hard core exercise)...But here is the kicker...The minute that Ed stops exercising (but continues to eat at his higher caloric level)...He will blow back up again...(gain weight).

Hate to burst your bubble but there is not a chance in Hell I will EVER go back to that guy......... Best of Luck....
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    everyones body is different. what works for one person wont work for another so you really cant set one rule in stone and expect it to work for everyone. some people can eat more and lose, some people will eat more and gain. for one week i tried to eat more to lose and i ended up gaining but i think that may have been in part that my exercise to calorie intake ratio wasn't balanced; i felt i wasn't exercising enough to complement the food. i don't know, all i know is the eat more to weigh less doesn't work for me either.

i went back to eating the same things but in smaller portions and staying below my sodium and sugar intake, and lost the weight that i put on.