1200 CAN'T be enough

Options
1235»

Replies

• McGrew822
    Options
    Well, it's tough to say whether 1,200 calories is enough for you as an individual. Your basal metabolic rate is a function of many factors, including age, gender, general activity level in a day, lean body mass, and weight (that's all I can think of at the moment), all in addition to the calories you burned working out. Plus, it depends upon whether you're trying to cut weight or not. For some, 1,200 is absurdly low. For others, it's just right.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    First off Props to all who have linked the Road Map.

Second...

That BMR link wigs me out. Tells me I should be doing 2344 calories a day! I mostly struggle to hit 1200! At 5'6, 28 and 220lbs, 2344 seems insane!

I'll never get a proper grip on how this works.

Most people your height can burn upwards of 2600+ a day.
    Your extra fat adds to this and it drops as you lose weight.
    Eat 1800-2k then and be surprised!
    It works!

Lets address something that I think needs to be explained.
    Fat.

We hate it!
    It serves a biological reason and why we have excess is due to several things.

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are (1) energy storage (2) toxin storage (3) protection against insulin resistance, and (4) protection against estrogen decline in women. Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

Now you cannot get rid of all your fat but how do you think cutting calories down to 1200 would give fat a reason not to exist?
    In my eyes it primes the body to store it once you eat above TDEE if proper exercise isnt executed.

The idea behind the VLCD (1200 cals or lower) is to force the body to use fat as a means of energy.
    Misery!
    Or Hangry!!!!

Hormone levels get screwy.
    RMR drops, I know Yarrow will post studies about how this is okay.
    Lean mass drops, not a good thing to look like Gollem from LOTR.
    At some point a 2lb/week calculation only equals about 1/4lb or less a week and you feel like ****.

So what happens if you return the body to a normal caloric level?
    It signals certain hormones to allow fat to naturally come off.
    Add to that a good strength program to break insulin resistance and you are good to go!
    If you like cardio then do it empty in the morning for an even greater burn, dont over do this though.
    Could lead to a plateau.
    The cardio I mean.

Give fat reason not to exist.
    Eat like a human should eat and move like a human should move and youll naturally lose it.
    Period.