Smoking Neighbours

Options

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Clearly a group hug is needed here.

I'll need to talk to the landlord about that first.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I need a hug :blushing:
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    After reading this entire thread [I love these forums.] I've noticed that the OP is the rudest person contributing to this conversation.
    Oh, and take my previous comment: go blow a dead goat.

He was there first, you didn't check out the apartments tenants before you moved there, and you're demonizing the man and refusing to even consider talking to him.

Put a fan near the window to blow the smoke out.
    Chill out.
    Talk to him tomorrow.

Or, you know.. Overreact and move out because you were too immature to talk to the person and/or find another resolution.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    After reading this entire thread [I love these forums.] I've noticed that the OP is the rudest person contributing to this conversation.
    Oh, and take my previous comment: go blow a dead goat.

He was there first, you didn't check out the apartments tenants before you moved there, and you're demonizing the man and refusing to even consider talking to him.

Put a fan near the window to blow the smoke out.
    Chill out.
    Talk to him tomorrow.

Or, you know.. Overreact and move out because you were too immature to talk to the person and/or find another resolution.

yup
  • FitXnX50
    FitXnX50 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    By nature, smoking is rude because they can't consume 100% of the pollution. What other voluntary behavior enters other people's bodies without permission? Spoils the taste of their meals? We have to understand that smokers are often defensive because they would rather not face that they're trapped in an addiction.

However, unlike forums and anonymous letters, most people react positively in person when someone politely informs them of a discomfort they're causing. Letting someone know that each time he/she smokes, you know it because your windows are open may just be enough to reduce (probably not eliminate) it. Talk of allergies and illness may be less effective, because it's hard to convince someone comfortable in a thick cloud that the invisible smell that annoys you is significant. Letting the landlord know why you want an accommodation may have a long-term benefit, if enough of us do so. That's how restaurants and hotels have learned not to be cowed by aggressive smokers.

Most importantly, don't take it personally because the smoking is not meant to be against us. Smokers are just blind (or the olfactory equivalent) to how much it takes away from others' quality of life. Be sure that the owner, not just the manager, knows why you've decided to find a new place next year. Good luck!
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your other neighbor's?
    Are they complaining?
    Are they having the same problems?
    Did you talk to the "smoking" offender?
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The OP has been antagonized from the beginning of this thread, they were trying to respond civilly and finally had it with the rudeness, then stated "go blow a dead goat"
    okaaay... not the most mature or civil one liner, but hell I can hardly blame them for it at this point. Waaay too many people were making this personal, when the only one personally affected IS the OP.

And making fun of people for being polite by saying "a group hug is needed" hardly proves you are NOT indeed the rude person you seem to be. It only enforces that you are sarcastic and rude and implies that you somehow think hugs are bad :) lol
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    By nature, smoking is rude because they can't consume 100% of the pollution. What other voluntary behavior enters other people's bodies without permission? Spoils the taste of their meals? We have to understand that smokers are often defensive because they would rather not face that they're trapped in an addiction.

However, unlike forums and anonymous letters, most people react positively in person when someone politely informs them of a discomfort they're causing. Letting someone know that each time he/she smokes, you know it because your windows are open may just be enough to reduce (probably not eliminate) it. Talk of allergies and illness may be less effective, because it's hard to convince someone comfortable in a thick cloud that the invisible smell that annoys you is significant. Letting the landlord know why you want an accommodation may have a long-term benefit, if enough of us do so. That's how restaurants and hotels have learned not to be cowed by aggressive smokers.

Most importantly, don't take it personally because the smoking is not meant to be against us. Smokers are just blind (or the olfactory equivalent) to how much it takes away from others' quality of life. Be sure that the owner, not just the manager, knows why you've decided to find a new place next year. Good luck!

VERY NICE INTELLIGENT RESPONSE :) Completely non offensive in any way. Very nice post :) Group hug! lol
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Driving automobiles and factories. But nobody minds that do long as they can get a $5 shirt and a whopper.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    And I also think your response is thoughtful, I was just answering a question :)
  • whitewhisper
    Options

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

I realize that in the land of the "free," everyone is allowed to walk all over everyone else, and "first come-first serve" is how things work, but up here, where everyone has equal rights, it doesn't matter if the guy smoking were the pope, I still have the right to live in a comfortable environment, windows open or closed.

I'm with you on this one. My parents used to smoke so when I was younger I could stand the smell. They have since quit and now I think it is one of the most disgusting smells ever. You should definitely have the right to breath clean air in your own home, I would do anything you can to get this guy to smoke somewhere else, or if the smoke doesn't bother him (which is clearly doesn't) get him to smoke with his windows closed so he can stink up his own apartment.

Also what's with the *kitten* replies?
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above. Wow, what a bunch of jerks and you know who you are. Can't you find something more productive to do with your time than antagonize the OP and make rude comments and misspell abhor?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above. Wow, what a bunch of jerks and you know who you are. Can't you find something more productive to do with your time than pick on the OP and make rude comments and misspell abhorr?

don't you have anything better to do than correct peoples' spelling? =)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how it's ok to give other people cancer.

I've never seen a lease where tenants are permitted to smoke in the property.

Good point well made.

I assume the obnoxious bros on the thread are the variety of smoker who assert 'you can take my cigarette from my cold dead hand'.

Obviously it's *entirely unreasonable* that a non-smoker not want to indulge in someone else's death wish.

I'm a non-smoker and abhorr cigarettes.

Sames.

Just because you dont like something doesn't mean you should take away others right to do that thing :)

And how could anyone not like being slowly poisoned by someone else's habit.... yeah that makes perfect sense. He's free to choose to poison her, and all she needs is a little air freshener.

Rofl
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

Driving automobiles and factories. But nobody minds that do long as they can get a $5 shirt and a whopper.
    I can get a T shirt at Burger King? Sweet! lol
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Excellent point about letting the owner and manager know why a person wants to change apartments or be let out of a lease when it's something like this. If a person doesn't say anything management would never know. Maybe it won't change anything, but if enough people speak up there's always the possibility that it could. I would never have believed I could go to any restaurant in my city without having to be exposed to cigarette smoke, but it happened. If it's something that can affect a business positively or negatively, they'll change things to keep or increase their profits.
  • whitewhisper
    Options

Good point well made.

I assume the obnoxious bros on the thread are the variety of smoker who assert 'you can take my cigarette from my cold dead hand'.

Obviously it's *entirely unreasonable* that a non-smoker not want to indulge in someone else's death wish.

Sames.

Just because you dont like something doesn't mean you should take away others right to do that thing :)

And how could anyone not like being slowly poisoned by someone else's habit.... yeah that makes perfect sense. He's free to choose to poison her, and all she needs is a little air freshener.

Rofl

YES.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

Good point well made.

Sames.

Rofl

Yeah that made me laugh out loud as well! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Yeah, I saw the advice to use air freshener too. Air freshener - awesome solution. Spray a bunch of crap into the air. Add some more nasty chemicals to the mix. Air fresheners are not good for asthma either.