What weightloss does to people

Options
12346»

Replies

• kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I know several people like this. It is really sad to see actually. I have several clients who have lost weight and ended up in divorce court as well which to me is crazy. My husband loves me for me not for my weight.

this exactly! except for im not married, but my fiance met me at my biggest & im about 25 lbs lighter than when we met so im good :-) & id never leave him once i get to goal.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just because someone has lost the weight, doesn't mean they have figured out their issues as to why they gained the weight or were heavy in the first place. I've read all sorts of articles where people who lose weight turn to other addictions such as: alcohol, pills, shopping, men etc. when they haven't dealt with their issues/behavior patterns. And as others have mentioned; some people are not used to the attention they receive once they do lose the weight or the exact opposite- they have these great expectations that life is going to be wonderful once the weight is lost and then......it's not.

You are not eveyone else- so I am not sure why you are concerned that you will be like "them" if you focus on you and your issues. Just because someone reaches their goal weight that doesn't mean the work is necessarily done! That is how I am looking at things this time around and hopefully I will be successful in keeping the weightless off for good.

c-
  • amy_hutto
    Options
    I cannot speak for others, but for me it is a little strange being on this side. I am self conscious and unsure sometimes about the way that I can dress. But on the positive side, I am so excited to share with anyone who wants to know about my loss. I want everyone to try it. I want everyone to have success with it like I did. Unfortunately, that does not always happen.

I truly hope that you can find people to help you along the way. I would be happy to share with you about my journey and what worked for me. I am just now getting to where I want to be and I pray that the maintenance program works for me and my husband as well as the diet did. Keep your chin up girl! You are beautiful inside and out!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In regards to weight, my oldest sister and I are at opposite places. When we were young, I was always the thin one and she was the chubby one (30-40 pounds overweight). When she went to college, she lost a lot of weight and became a size 2 (after being a 10-12 for a llong time). When I was in college, I gained weight (from a size 4 to a size 12-14). We both gained and lost another two times after college. She has kids and is married, and I don't have either. One major thing she does that really bugs me is her attitude towards weight. As a kid, she must have felt as though skinny people rule and fat chubby people are ugly and disgusting. Her attitude is very hurtful- to me and her own kids. She has three kids, two of whom took after her chubbyness as a kid. Her entire family goes to Lifetime 4 times a week. Her kids are active, too. Still, 2/3 are chubby and they have an appetite for food (just like her and her husband). My sister is now a size 2-4 and I'm a size 6-8. But, a couple of years ago, when I was a size 8-10, she would give me a very hard time about it. She was very very harsh. She would tell me that the reason i'm not married is because of my weight. I don't share my relationship life with her, but that's very wrong (many men love my curvy butt!). I told her off a few times and would tell my other sisters to talk to her about it, she was & is still getting nastier and nastier. She also yells at her kids if they eat chips or any junk food. "You're so fat! Stop eating!" omg! She's got some major psychological issues! My sister-in-law who is a size 0 is her competitor. My sister thinks she can be a size 0 too so she starves herself all the time! I have to speak to her husband, my bro-in-law about this.. she has to get some help.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Some people are just jerks, and weight loss or gain isn't going to change that. I have a brother in law who's lost about 95 lbs and I give him all the credit in the world, but he's a sanctimonious sob about most everything and his weight loss just gives him one more way to feel/act superior. It's kinda like some people who quit smoking - they feel/act superior over everyone who is still smoking.
  • JuliexAnne
    Options
    It's definitely hard for me to hear people commenting that I look good. I have a friend of 6 years who all of a sudden is telling me to stop being so sexy. It's hard for me to take. I'm the same person I was before, why can't you see that?! Definitely not one of the people that lets it get to my head. I see a person who still has a long way to go and I still look in the mirror and say "I look fat". I find I tell myself I look pretty a lot more, but seeing the actual weight loss is difficult unless I make a side by side comparison picture.
  • Platypusimus
    Platypusimus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has had nothing but positive influences on me. Sure I start at myself in the mirror a lot more, but who doesn't like admiring their handiwork!? And I've gotten huge boosts in confidence as my waistline shrunk!

^^This. And back off on the negativity everybody! Jeebuz... try looking at it from the perspective of someone who is trying to HELP you. *sigh*