"Eat More To Weigh More"

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Oh yeah, eating less to weigh less really worked for me. I lost 145 pounds in a year and half at 1200 calories a day.

I also lost: my hair, my friends, my health, and my sanity.

If you're blaming all those things strictly on the numerical value of your caloric intake, then you're not putting blame where blame is due. For example, what kind of macros/micros were you running? As for friends, again not a diet issue unless you were friends with the wait staff at a restaurant and you stopped going there.

You keep eating 1200 calories a day, and you'll lose your friends too. Every single waking moment starts revolving around food. I spent 14-16 hours on MFP, reading recipes and planning out meals. Spent 1-2 hours exercising (and never eating those calories back) and guess how much time I was left with for sleep, school, family, and friends?

Where am I now? Recovering from bulimia. I couldn't take exercising so much, so I ate even less to makeup for it -- 500 calories a day. Then everything snapped: I started bingeing, exercised until I couldn't walk, moved on to laxatives, moved on to purging, and gained back 50 pounds in 3 months.

I'm not blaming 'eating less' for my ED, but I am blaming it for my obsession and giving a mental illness the means to come into my life.

Exactly.

Not to sound rude, but that is how you individually took a diet to an extreme. Anything to an extreme is bad. It's like saying "I ate a peppermint candy, I liked it, then ate 5000 calories of it a day and got fat. Therefore, peppermint candies are bad cuz they make people obese." Your argument is a logical fallacy.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Oh yeah, eating less to weigh less really worked for me. I lost 145 pounds in a year and half at 1200 calories a day.

If you're blaming all those things strictly on the numerical value of your caloric intake, then you're not putting blame where blame is due. For example, what kind of macros/micros were you running? As for friends, again not a diet issue unless you were friends with the wait staff at a restaurant and you stopped going there.

You keep eating 1200 calories a day, and you'll lose your friends too. Every single waking moment starts revolving around food. I spent 14-16 hours on MFP, reading recipes and planning out meals. Spent 1-2 hours exercising (and never eating those calories back) and guess how much time I was left with for sleep, school, family, and friends?

Where am I now? Recovering from bulimia. I couldn't take exercising so much, so I ate even less to makeup for it -- 500 calories a day. Then everything snapped: I started bingeing, exercised until I couldn't walk, moved on to laxatives, moved on to purging, and gained back 50 pounds in 3 months.

I'm not blaming 'eating less' for my ED, but I am blaming it for my obsession and giving a mental illness the means to come into my life.

Exactly.

Not to sound rude, but that is how you individually took a diet to an extreme. Anything to an extreme is bad. It's like saying "I ate a peppermint candy, I liked it, then ate 5000 calories of it a day and got fat. Therefore, peppermint candies are bad cuz they make people obese." Your argument is a logical fallacy.

Oh! I'm soo sorry the last couple of comments you have made haven't been negative or SNARKY at all! Pero te amo:)
  • NormalSaneFLGuy

Exactly.

Oh! I'm soo sorry the last couple of comments you have made haven't been negative or SNARKY at all! Pero te amo:)

You confuse realism with negativity. If someone says that the world is flat, is it "negative" to correct them and say it is actually spherical? If someone spells your name wrong, is it "negative" to correct them? If someone burns your food, is it "negative" to ask them to cook it correctly? Nope! So don't be hypersensitive as you grasp at straws to try and prove an invalid point.

Now if you want to have an intellectual and calm discussion, I'm game. I, however, don't appreciate baseless negative attacks.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Bump! Eating more makes you fat.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    When I was sedentary I started eating more off a 1200 diet so I get to eat more nutrients I lost at the same rate as do most people who do it right, I maintain my muscle since I got to eat more protein, I get more nutrients then I did at a lower cal number because I can eat more, and I absorb those nutrients better because I can eat more fat.

I started exercising so now I can eat even more, maintain muscle even better, feel stronger, have less back pain *back problems* and no longer feel tired climbing up stairs :D
  • CoderGal
    As for the hair loss comments...It's actually a common side affect of low calorie diets, as is tooth decay. My sister started eating healthy, increased her veg intake but she wasn't getting enough food (1200cals) and she started losing her hair. I've also had a few people on this site tell me that their doctor told them they were losing their hair because they weren't eating enough. There's also plenty of threads on here who have experienced the same things along with the rest of the internet...people eating a lot of healthy foods. I know my friend who was on a low cal diet via doctor instructions and they were constantly pumping him with needles so he could get a little better nutrition. He also constantly felt sick. Me? I didn't feel sick...I told everyone I felt fantastic but if I felt fantastic before I felt like superwoman when I increased my cals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572503-why-you-should-eat-more-a-lion-s-tale
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
    http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    images-4-1.jpg
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    As for the hair loss comments...It's actually a common side affect of low calorie diets, as is tooth decay. My sister started eating healthy, increased her veg intake but she wasn't getting enough food (1200cals) and she started losing her hair. I've also had a few people on this site tell me that their doctor told them they were losing their hair because they weren't eating enough. There's also plenty of threads on here who have experienced the same things along with the rest of the internet...people eating a lot of healthy foods. I know my friend who was on a low cal diet via doctor instructions and they were constantly pumping him with needles so he could get a little better nutrition. He also constantly felt sick. Me? I didn't feel sick...I told everyone I felt fantastic but if I felt fantastic before I felt like superwoman when I increased my cals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572503-why-you-should-eat-more-a-lion-s-tale
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

I never argued the hair loss. =P
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Ever wonder why it's so easy to put on weight?

Do you work for weeks to lose a few pounds and a few slip ups later it's all back on and twice as hard to lose?

That muscle you lose from inadequate caloric intake is the reason. With less mucle you will then gain faster, what you gain is fatter and it's also why it's harder to lose than the first time around.

Yup, you can lose weight by eating minimal calories. Fast even.

But you will also lose muscle. More than you would have if you kept your macros where they should be and calories up to an amount that keeps your body happy.

Who wants to fight that battle? I don't. The up & down struggle is exhausting and is what makes so many people give up and give in. They just throw in the towel cause this *kitten* ain't working. some people say they are full on 1200 calories but I believe that for most people that just isn't true. You gained weight in the first place from over eating aka too many calories. I LOVE me some food so I rather eat!

When you eat properly and have enough muscle you train your metab and become a fat burning machine that can indulge more frequently without consequence. Imagine that!

I want to get the strongest, healthiest, fittest me and stay that way for life. I learned this lesson the hard way. MUSCLE & fueling your body properly IS the only way to reach that goal.

Believe it or not.

This was PERFECTLY said!! I'm building a fat burning machine! I've lost all my weight eating 2000+ cals a day. :drinker:

That being said, if people want to suffer on 1200 cals a day, that's their business I guess. It's unnecessary and miserable, but hey, it's your life.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member

Correction...The Problem is NUTRIENTS...not CALORIES!
    Hair loss is a common symptom of protein deficiency.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/281591-lack-of-protein-hair-loss-in-females/
    Tooth decay is a common symptom of calcium deficiency.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/420323-sides-effects-from-a-lack-of-calcium/
    It is much better to eat a nutrient rich low calorie diet (made up of real food)...then it is(better) to eat a high calorie diet full of junk!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    The general idea is not to eat very low calories. I started eating more and am now maintaining and fluctuating between 1-3 pounds while eating between 2200-2700 when I used to gain weight going over 1600. The idea is not to add on a bunch of calories or eat over what your body burns quickly. It's a slow process of increasing calories. I don't know how much OP tacked on when doing it, but of course your going to gain weight if you start eating a lot more than your burning. Of course, everybody is different but it does work for a lot of people. Because of eating more over time, now my cutting calories are the same number as what my maintenance used to be or even higher.
  • CoderGal

Correction...The Problem is NUTRIENTS...not CALORIES!
    Hair loss is a common symptom of protein deficiency.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/281591-lack-of-protein-hair-loss-in-females/
    Tooth decay is a common symptom of calcium deficiency.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/420323-sides-effects-from-a-lack-of-calcium/
    It is much better to eat a nutrient rich low calorie diet (made up of real food)...then it is(better) to eat a high calorie diet full of junk!
    Not arguing with that last part. Healthier food is definitely better, who said it wasn't? It's also fairly impossible to hit all your nutrients in 1200 calories...infact the FDA, Health Canada, and the RDI suggest 2000-2500 cals to get 97-98% of the recommended nutrient intake of a average healthy individual. Then there's the fact it's hard to get enough fat in your diet to absorb those vitamins, and enough protein in your diet on top of that (especially if you're exercising) etc.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member

I agree with that, but a lot of us eat a moderately-high calorie diet made up of real, healthy food, so that's totally different. A diet full of junk is junk whether it's 1000 calories or 5000 calories. It's all about balance and finding what works for you.

I just think it's sad to see people eating 1200 calories and working out like crazy, then complaining because they're exhausted and miserable and NOT losing weight. This DOES happen to people all the time--just check the forums. It's a balance--not too little, not too much. :happy:
  • i think everyone's bodies are different. personally, eating less works for me...but i dont think there is a definite rule apart from eat+exercise.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In to read later as I'm heading out the door. (I especially want to see if anyone has brought up OP's experience with the concept given his entire one month on MFP.)

And is all of the confusion just:

<
    concept

<
    head

??
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Yes thank you! It doesn't make sense biologically and mathematically to say to eat more and weigh less. Look at obese people who eat a whole lot. Look at anorexics who eat nothing.
  • CoderGal
    Yes thank you! It doesn't make sense biologically and mathematically to say to eat more and weigh less. Look at obese people who eat a whole lot. Look at anorexics who eat nothing.
    "Eat more to weigh less" is a group here. It's not "eat more then you were fat to weigh less then you did then" it's more of a just eat below your TDEE to lose, you don't need a big gigantic cut. "Eat more then a large deficit that many people are on here to weigh less then you do now"...and usually get there at the same rate is more like it.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    I just think it's sad to see people eating 1200 calories and working out like crazy, then complaining because they're exhausted and miserable and NOT losing weight. This DOES happen to people all the time--just check the forums. It's a balance--not too little, not too much.

And I think that it is sad to see people upping their calories, hugging the couch and then swearing that EM2WL is the holy grail solution to all of their lifetime weight problems. [/quote]

If you want to check something...just notice how often the same people blindly ignore other glaring factors and start right in on preaching the gospel of "up your calories and you will start to lose weight"...(((and heaven forbid if someone were to ever suggest a calorie reduction...that person would get tarred and feathered (bullied) by members of EM2WL)))...again...one size does not fit all!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Everyone keeps mistyping it as "Eat More To Weigh Less." Silly people.
    You're welcome for the correction.

well aren't you Mr. Clever. Do you want a pat on the back? Or how about a cookie? Oh, wait. You're about the eat less...to err...weigh less? Have fun with that. Skinny fat here we come. Let's grab some pink dumbbells and do Zumba while we're at it. #winning.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member

I can't even... This comment is the most stupid thing...

Obesity and anorexia are equally unhealthy. (Although, at the moment, I'm leaning toward anorexia as being the more severe and prominently dangerous) The saying 'eat more to weight less' is in relation to people who think that they have to starve themselves in order to lose weight -- whether 'starving' means 500 calories a day or 1200 calories a day. It's eat /more/ than 1000ish and still see progress. Eat /more/ than your BMR and fuel your body. Not eat as much as you like and over your TDEE and still lose weight.

That being said, I've met many anorexics who eat 1500 calories a day. I've met obese people who eat nothing but lettuce. Where's your logic now?