Smoking Neighbours

Options

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

I realize that in the land of the "free," everyone is allowed to walk all over everyone else, and "first come-first serve" is how things work, but up here, where everyone has equal rights, it doesn't matter if the guy smoking were the pope, I still have the right to live in a comfortable environment, windows open or closed.

Man your such a whiner , I bet you will be a real joy to work with one day. If you don't like smoke getting in your apartment when you hear him go out on his patio or w/e get off your *kitten* and close the window and leave it shut until he is done the smoke is gone.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WOW, i read just a few of these posts, and what jerks they are!!!! Apparently no one ever taught them manners. If they dont have something positive to help assist you or sympathy for the situation you are currently in, why write on the forum? People are complete a*******, for real.
    I had the same problem living in an apartment before. I just had to close my windows 24/7 and light candles like crazy. Air freshners are a girls best friend lol. Soon as my lease was done, I was running out of that place. Im sorry I dont have anything better :(

sometimes people need to be told the straight truth.

sometimes people need to be assisted not bashed for asking for assistance :)
    heres a thought.. if you dont have anything to help in the situation, remove yourself from it or better yet.. dont say anything at all.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    So we have the evil jerky meanieheads and the fuzzy bunnies about equal now and nearly everyone has given their advice. OP, have you had any acceptable answers?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Can you sublet your apartment and move to a smoke free community? That sounds like your best option if air filters won't work. I used to live in Montana, and we had bad forrest fires every summer, so air filters were a necessary part of life.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    WOW, i read just a few of these posts, and what jerks they are!!!! Apparently no one ever taught them manners. If they dont have something positive to help assist you or sympathy for the situation you are currently in, why write on the forum? People are complete a*******, for real.
    I had the same problem living in an apartment before. I just had to close my windows 24/7 and light candles like crazy. Air freshners are a girls best friend lol. Soon as my lease was done, I was running out of that place. Im sorry I dont have anything better :(

The irony of this post made me laugh.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    omg, this whole time i thought the OP was a woman!! I don't mean that to be offensive in any way, but i should apologize for using the wrong pronoun.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I think you're overreacting.

^^^^^^^^^^This
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    shoot him in the throat.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    omg, this whole time i thought the OP was a woman!! I don't mean that to be offensive in any way, but i should apologize for using the wrong pronoun.

No need to apologize OP is a woman.
  • kayemme
    Options
    I hate apt living-because of this reason. Smokers are a**holes all around. Rent a house!!! Second hand smoke kills people and you are NOT over reacting!

Good Luck!

now come on, that's not cool to say.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dont think any smoker has the right to impinge upon my clean air. If I am in their home or on their lawn that is one thing, but when the smoke from a cigarette invades my home then we have a problem.
  • kayemme
    Options

oh.. a duping in the foto....
  • kayemme
    Options

oh.. a duping in the foto....

the profile reads male now, but not to stereotype, i've never heard men complain in this fashion. it's usually more straight-forward with men... but maybe this really is a troll and i've been double duped!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have family members who are allergic to the smoke, so I can understand where you are coming from in terms of what seems to be an allergy to smoke. I read back and saw that you spoke to him and he didn't listen or take it into consideration after the talk was over.

Get one of your fans, put in on the balcony and point it down at him so the smoke goes back on him! Yes, he has a right to smoke, but he could try to make it a little less of a burden on others. Stay on managment, read your lease and any attachments that may have community rules. You just might find something that will help... :) Hope the situation improves.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I dont think any smoker has the right to impinge upon my clean air. If I am in their home or on their lawn that is one thing, but when the smoke from a cigarette invades my home then we have a problem.

Agreed!!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ditch the apartment and buy a house in the country. do it the Dave Ramsey way, the smart way :) google him if you dont know.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm all for property rights, but when something you do on your property AFFECTS ME ON MY PROPERTY, you have crossed the line. Especially if you put my health at risk!!!

The cigarette smoker is in the wrong, and should have to either find a different place to smoke or pay for some type of filtration or ventilation system. I'm not sure if it's the same up in Canada, but you may be able to take him to court for damages if he continues to fill your property with toxic fumes. I almost had to take a neighbor to court once because he kept filling up my house with diesel exhaust from his RV generator. You may be able to get him to change his behavior by simply asking him, but if that doesn't work, talk to an attorney and see what you can do.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Move to that town in California that banned smoking completely. Then you can just complain about smog and other air pollutants.

Belmont is the name of one in my area. :)

As for the rest of this thread, I am a smoker and am considerate of others when I smoke. So I don't want to get pulled into this thread because it'll just irritate me.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Move to that town in California that banned smoking completely. Then you can just complain about smog and other air pollutants.

Belmont is the name of one in my area. :)

As for the rest of this thread, I am a smoker and am considerate of others when I smoke. So I don't want to get pulled into this thread because it'll just irritate me.
    ^This.

I'm incredibly considerate of the non smokers in my life, going out of my way to make sure they don't catch any of my second hand smoke, so I take incredible exception to being called an "*kitten*". FYI, your "clean" air, isn't so clean, peach.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    About 3 months ago, I moved into this wonderful apartment. It's bright, spacious, has an amazing view, nice balcony, small building, and there's a little parkette right outside my door. I'm absolutely loving it, except for one reason:

The guy, 2 floors below me, is a chain smoker.

The location of the building is absolutely perfect for a light breeze to pick up the smoke, and as it raises up to the level I live on, blow it right into my apartment where it then can stay for hours!

Tonight is a particularly bad night. When he went out for his regular smoke, it was so bad, I opted for leave and go for a nice walk, thinking by the time I come back, my apartment should be aired out (I have fans in the windows of both rooms). Boy was I wrong. As soon as I open the door, it was like walking into the wall of this invisible, chemical-filled stench. 10 minutes later, my throat is all scratchy, my eyes are drying out, and I now have a killer headache! It's been over 30 minutes since I got home, and the place still stinks!

I've spoken to the landlord multiple times about it, and he finally said that he would talk to the management about my situation. They don't normally let people move to another unit, unless they're going to a larger apartment. He will try to explain my case, in an attempt get them to let me move. However, the two choices I have are really ****ty compared to the one I have now. I don't even know if those two are relatively smoke-free.

Have any of you had a similar experience to this? What did you do about it? I *can* move, but by which time, it would be winter. I'm also from the country, so I hate living with my windows closed all the time...

I was in the exact same situation with my apartment in Southern California. Our city was one of the few that did not have smoking ordinances. The only reason they eventually let us move was because I was pregnant and had a threatened miscarriage.