A long 300lb+ hill to climb...

Options

Replies

• homeymoney
    homeymoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Mary and I really admire you for wanting to take charge! I have gone up and down over the years A few years ago I lost 75 lbs by swimming laps and eating healthy. Life happened again and I gained it back plus more. I have added problem of being 63! IMy sister told me about this site so I thought I would give it a shot.
    Maybe we can encourage each other> Best wishes on your journey to a healthier you!!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome and congrats on doing so well with your weight loss so far. Like others have mentioned, try setting small goals for yourself because they will add up. Keep up the great work and you'll no doubt get to your goal soon. :) Sending you a friend request.
  • xaveria2
    xaveria2 Posts: 62
    Options
    Josh, You are a success already. I was in shock at the end of January when I stepped on the scales and was 400 pounds. I was in total depression for several days afterward. I attempted to change the way I eat and by the end of February when I ended up in the hospital for blood clots in my lungs and was asked how much I weighed I was unable to answer. The bed had a built in scale and once weighed I was 391.6. I had my laptop in the hospital with me and found MFP and signed up. Before I got released I met with the nutritionist and my cardiologist and was put on 1900 calories a day. I was able to eat that much for the first few days home and found myself eating all day. I took in upon myself to drop the amount of calories to something closer to 1400 and kept it there for a few weeks until I went for a checkup at my doctor. I asked about being on 1200 calories and he approved it. I wasn't allowed any exercise except whatever walking I did during the day at home. I was losing and happy but unable to weigh on a doctor scales because it only went to 350. When I went at the beginning of July for my next check up I was actually able to be weighed on that scales. I was down to 346. As of this past Wednesday when I weighed in at 323 with a total loss of 77 pounds gone. I take it one meal at a time and one step at a time. I also drink nothing but water which is a huge change. When I first started I was drink tons of soda each day and now I never drink any. It is a journey and I don't think about the total amount I have to still lose. I have been making small challenges for myself to keep me motivated. For example I will buy myself the first pair of tennis shoes I have owned since I was a teenager once I am down to 299. I also have another doctor appointment in January and plan to have lost more than 115 pounds by then. I am inspired by you and your journey and would love to be friends with you.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's not going to be easy, but you CAN do this. You CAN make healthy choices. You CAN!!! Thank you for sharing your story! I will be cheering you on!!!
  • missdeeladydee
    missdeeladydee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! keep motivated, you can do it!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Josh, thanks for sharing your story, and I look forward to watching your success! I second the vote for water workouts. I'd never done one before up until a couple weeks ago, when I went to an aqua Zumba class at my gym. It was great! Very fun, so easy on the body (I have a back injury, so have to keep impact low), and the best part was, I didn't get hot!!! It's lovely working out surrounded by nice, cool water.
  • aliciatea1050
    Options
    Awesome! You keep at it. Always take it one day at a time.
  • issyme
    issyme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You are very inspirational. Keep up the good work, you are doing so well!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are a spiritual person, but I think God did not want you to have this surgery. What are the odds of your place of employment doing that with insurance companies like that. You are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Keep up the good work !

^

I agree with this member ....... there was definitely a reason this all came about ....... and now that you're here, make the most of it ...... you can friend me if you'd like .......

And have fun !
  • Lexyvaness
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Please keep us updated and we will be cheering you on along the way. Congratulations! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • KFJOI4JWGOJM
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Great Job on the progress you have made so far :) Just take it day by day and you will get get there. There's lots of support here cheering you on.
  • You got there one pound at a time and you will get to your goal the same way, one pound at a time - well, in theory because I swear I have gained 5 pounds overnight before and sometimes since I have started eating healthy, I lose 5 pounds overnight. I started with 200ish pounds to lose and I am 116 down. I couldn't think about what a long hill I had but try for 10 pounds a month each month and before I knew it, I was well on my way to my goal which actually has nothing to do with pounds now but instead fat percentage. You can do this!! Keep in mind too that surgery is only a tool, it would never be successful without the skills of learning how to eat healthy for your body and regular exercise.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, and a HUGE congrats on taking these steps on your own! I know it's tough, but hang in there! I started out at 350 in march and I'm down to 301.8 now (with most of that weight coming off in the last 30 days!). Feel free to add me if you would like to have some continued support!

WE CAN DO THIS! I have faith in you!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Goodbye 600's! Goodbye 44 lbs or so! You're doing it! You ARE an inspiration!
  • SweetLillyM
    Options
    You will inspire many people to make the necessary changes in their life! Good job with the weight loss, keep up the great work! :)
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    this is so inspiring- you can definitely do this, i have complete faith in you :)
    thank you for sharing your story, and if you ever need a bit of support, feel free to talk to me!
    x
  • adnol_2
    adnol_2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Josh take it one day at a time. You can do this. You get plenty of support thru MFP. If you do slip up, get right back on the band wagon the next day. I need to lose over 100 lbs and I also am determined to do this.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The farther you can get without surgery, the more successful you will be after! I really believe this and have see it myself. I am in the 6 month program now (completed is extra quick though and am just sticking with it!) and have been doing so well I may not even have the surgery after all! (lost 90+lbs with several health issues holding me back even). I still have over 100lbs to lose, skin removal and more weight loss after that. You CAN do this if the tools are there and you use them.

Also find a pool! I've lost 75lbs just casually swimming laps. I'm by no means even swimming "properly" just getting in there 3-4x a week and busting my butt as much as I can for an hour.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must feel, but I applaud you for taking action!
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Josh. the first step is always the hardest and you made that by coming to MFP. It's a great community and we are here to help. I have weighed a lot and lost a lot, but I have a ways to go too. Add me as a friend and I will be in your corner helping you every step of the way. I won't say it will be easy, but deciding to make a change can be the hardest thing to do. Congrats buddy on your decision and I hope to see you all the way to the finish line.