Anyone else feel uncomfortable with Jillian's pics?

Options
124»

Replies

• klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    i WILL SAY THE Jillian ads help keep me motivated actually... I feel like she is "watching" me from my computer =)

I was thinking last night - it would be nice if MFP could do like some other sites do (pogo etc..) where they have ads
    for Free accounts- but also offer an upgrade- where you can pay 34 a year or something and not have ads- and have
    some extra benefits that the free members don't have...

A lot of people have said they feel like Jillian is watching over them - I think she would be pleased!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    The adds don't bother me at all. I know for me personally it is physically impossible for me to have a body like hers. I am working hard to get healthier and thats all that matters. Jillian is doing her thing I am doing mine. She is good at her job and the help that she gives on the biggest loser changes those contestants lives. I can see where she would be a great inspiration to many people. I would rather a young girl look up to her than some of the young stars in hollywood with every bone in their body showing, being underweight is not healthy either but unfortunately it seems to be better accepted in society than being obese.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think she's skinny at all. I think she's lean. Which is why I'd never view it as discouraging at all.
  • proudloser
    Options
    Jillian probably has her own image issues, and for a forum full of people trying to change their health and looks, and that have issues too, attacking someone and ripping on their looks is not cool IMO. I wouldnt want people to do it to me, if I lost a ton of weight and they saw my pic and called me manly or not womanly. No one deserves to get attacked for what they look like, regardless of how you feel about them. Just my .02.

This is what I was thinking, too. Especially after someone (not the OP) stated that looking at skinny women makes them feel bad about themselves. I've always been insecure about the way I look because of my weight. Of course, one of the reasons I'm losing weight is to feel better about my body image. It is slightly discouraging to here people say they don't like seeing healthier-sized women. It isn't helping someone's body imagine to make them feel like when they reach their goal, you won't want to look at them anymore.

Be serious here.
    Jillian is a celebrity. Everyone feels they can talk candidly about how a celeb looks. I can't imagine anyone here on MFP would rip another member, saying they looked *insert comment here*, but I have seen the comments about Michael Jackson back this summer, even though that man was a philanthropist.

Why is it discouraging that I said I didn't like seeing her photo? I never said I didn't like seeing photos of healthier-sized women. I said I didn't like seeing her picture here.... specifically I don't like seeing pictures of women in work out attire or skimpy clothing. You put Jillians picture up wearing something covering her skin, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. But in today's society -- sex sells. Skin is in, which in a messed up mind translates to "I need to be skinny, have a six pack, and show off as much skin as possible to be".... what? Healthy? Sexy?

It's what she does for a living....and she's in workout clothes!
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do have a DVD of her's, so for me it is like "I'm watching you! And you better not be logging in crap like cup cakes!" So I like seeing her on here. I know I will never look like her but I can get motivated to not eat the crap food in my works kitchen once I see her pointing her finger at me. :tongue: Make your window smaller and she will hide. :laugh:

Awesome! Jen having her ads does the same thing for me!!!!!!!!! I feel like she is watching me =) The ad I cannot stand is the one that says, "1 tip of a tiny belly:" and shows the woman laying down in a bikini and then on the side it has her "slimmer"
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    She's worked her butt off to get to where she is....works for me! But I think I'd rather be looking at Bob too!:blushing:

Bob is dreamy.

I have a thing for tattoos....

I love him! But have u guys noticed that he has a weird sunken area on either side of his forehead? It's like his skull is caved in on both sides. I see it on others, but his is very prominent..prob because he has like 1% body fat!

I have noticed that and it bothers me. I wished he would leave his hair a little longer so you can see that.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The adds don't bother me at all. I know for me personally it is physically impossible for me to have a body like hers. I am working hard to get healthier and thats all that matters. Jillian is doing her thing I am doing mine. She is good at her job and the help that she gives on the biggest loser changes those contestants lives. I can see where she would be a great inspiration to many people. I would rather a young girl look up to her than some of the young stars in hollywood with every bone in their body showing, being underweight is not healthy either but unfortunately it seems to be better accepted in society than being obese.

What a great point! More Children should look up to celebrities like her!!!!!!!!!!! She is a great role model for anyone =)
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I was browsing through the message boards and pics of Jillian Michaels keeps looming to the right side. Not that I have a problem with her or this site for posting these pictures - I know she works very hard to be the pretty person she is but it is a little intimidating. I am being realistic - I will never look like her no matter how much diet and exercise I subject myself to (Well maybe I could if I could if I were fortunate enough to make working out my full-time job - but don't see this happening!)

Understand, I haven't seen her show; don't own any videos so I really don't know her message. I do understand she might be a great role model as far as motivating people to exercise and treat their body well. But just a little nervous that young people might see her and expect the same results.

Thoughts?

I don't know much of anything about Julian so I can't voice an opinion about her but I do see her picture and I think if she has never had any cosmetic surgery or photo manipulations there is nothing wrong with seeing extra ordinary results in other people. I can speak from personal experience that I'm inspired by others who have done so well for themselves. Now a days I find myself on the other side of the table where I am the one inspiring so many with my extra ordinary results. To the surprise of many these kind of results are not a full time thing its a VERY part time thing. I only workout an hour a day 5 or 6 days a week and my results are huge.

As far as "role models" who have used surgery and or have had their pictures photoshoped that is incredibly dangerous to young impressionable minds. Some of our kids are trying to get results that are not possible because they are fiction. So sad. If Ms. Julian is all real then good for her I hope she continues to show others what is possible.
  • weddedbliss
    weddedbliss Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Never even noticed them... I suppose I will now, but they won't bother me.
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like them =)

I guess because sometimes I look in the mirror orrr whatever and feel good about myself now that im getting close to goal and think.. Im fine I dont need to workout today or I can eat ice cream, but then I see her and I think hmm theres always room for improvement I should just stick to it!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The only ads that bother me are the nasty looking ones- like the teeth, the cartoon fat girl (though the current version is a lil cuter with her pretty red beads lol).
  • trifitness
    trifitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i dont feel uncomfortable for one reason. she used to be out of shape and overweight. her message is if she can get healthy, overcome her issues, than we have a chance too. i:happy:
  • allyson2212
    Options
    Shes a great influence IMO, I wish I had her as a personal trainer!! I dont really see her as a model posing for some ad to look sexy, I see her more as a role model posing to encourage people to get into shape (and buy her stuff obviously, lol).
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm more offended by the ads for the slim band, or any diet pill that occasionally comes up.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm more offended by the ads for the slim band, or any diet pill that occasionally comes up.

Oh, me too!! And the one on how to loose "1 lb of baelly fat with only one diet secret" I hate that thing!!!