Have a stubborn cat who won't go on walks with you?

Options
I'm getting a cat stroller in two weeks and they're coming along with me, finally!

55c961ea346e5ad7d6c0e47febc59671676743744893fb57acc19d9610f5ffcd4g.jpg

d1a56850d3b3903ea1d8e90ca881a1c2a9e469dc7357dbcaf3404ed7ecbc43d44g.jpg

I've tried to leash train them, but they will lay sideways on the floor and make you feel like you're choking them to death. The stroller I'm ordering is about $45 but they go as expensive as (gulp) $200. Just thought I would throw out that suggestion for those of you with indoor cats (or doggies who you want to keep safe).

I don't even care about the looks I'm going to get ^_^

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    um.....

why can't you leave the cats at home and go for a walk without them?

just asking.
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    um.....

why can't you leave the cats at home and go for a walk without them?

just asking.

Dog owners get to enjoy taking their dogs for walks. Cat owners often lament their lack of being able to do this. Seeing how my cats stare out the window, yearning for an adventure, I figure this will kill two birds with one stone. I get my exercise, and the cats get to see the outdoors.

Seriously, you ought to see the way they try to run outside as soon as the door is opened. Only regret is not getting one for them sooner.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I owned cats (or they owned me) I used to walk them on a leash, took a long time to get them trained but it was that or they stayed indoors all the time (it may surprise people to know that many municipality's leash by-laws apply equally to cats) Contrary to popular belief (especially in an urban setting) indoor cats are healthier and live longer (and don't crap in all of the neighbourhood gardens). I love cats, cat owners who let their cats run amok not so much.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Please take pictures, that'll be hilarious and adorable.
  • pen_thief
    Options
    When I owned cats (or they owned me) I used to walk them on a leash, took a long time to get them trained but it was that or they stayed indoors all the time (it may surprise people to know that many municipality's leash by-laws apply equally to cats) Contrary to popular belief (especially in an urban setting) indoor cats are healthier and live longer (and don't crap in all of the neighbourhood gardens). I love cats, cat owners who let their cats run amok not so much.

This is true. They are nearly 13 in people years and are very healthy and playful from keeping them inside, groomed, fed healthy and given plenty of fresh water. I wish I could figure out how to get them leash trained, but I'm thinking the stroller may be safer anyway since there are some loose dogs in the neighborhood that even I'm a bit afraid of.
  • pen_thief
    Options
    Please take pictures, that'll be hilarious and adorable.

Definitely will :)
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    SOO COOL!! I have 2 cats (8 months and 5 months) and I have been trying to teach them to walk on a leash, but same thing happens- they just roll on the ground and I am afraid to choke them. I completly understand your wanting to walk them! Let me know how the stroller goes and please post pics! your kitties are beautiful by the way!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Get one of those little backpacks with a hole in it so they can poke their head through...that way, no stroller.
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    OMG! What a great idea! I am totally going to consider this.... Since leash training was an epic fail for me too (so, so sad) I would love another way to take my kitties outside!
  • pen_thief
    Options
    Get one of those little backpacks with a hole in it so they can poke their head through...that way, no stroller.

Simba (first cat pictured) was pushing 17 lbs last time I checked and Skittles would add another 13.... my poor back has enough of a burden already! lol

(It is a good idea though for those in better shape and with only one pet to haul around)
  • pen_thief
    Options
    SOO COOL!! I have 2 cats (8 months and 5 months) and I have been trying to teach them to walk on a leash, but same thing happens- they just roll on the ground and I am afraid to choke them. I completly understand your wanting to walk them! Let me know how the stroller goes and please post pics! your kitties are beautiful by the way!

Thanks! I will update the thread with some more pictures after I get the stroller :)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fabulous idea!!!

My cat Gustaf always comes walking with us. Here he is trotting down the road, we went a mile out and a mile back. Another time he went with my son to a friend's house, hung out with the other cats and then, got a ride home in the car. He's more likely to go for a walk than our dog...go figure!!!

4d4d6265.jpg
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Does the cat stroller have a way to keep them in it? I would hate for you to get them outdoors and then not be able to keep them safely in the stroller...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My mom lives on 12 acres and when we walk her barn cat follows us. He pisses and moans the entire time, yowls for you to wait up.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Does the cat stroller have a way to keep them in it? I would hate for you to get them outdoors and then not be able to keep them safely in the stroller...

Example of a pet stroller http://tinyurl.com/8jsahup
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    A Chest harness works so much better for cats and doesnt choke them or put stress on their neck.

Killer is way too much of a Diva to degrade herself by walking with a mere human....even if that human is me who she loves second only to food. She would be totally chaffed if I took her for a walk. She does however like to join me on my lil work out by impeding my feet at every turn.

<~~~~~~that's Killer.

here she is all snuggled up on me with a minkie covering her

100_0203.jpg
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Please let us know where such a stroller can be acquired.

Thanks!

Nice idea, by the way!

Be well,
    Charlotte
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When we moved, we put our cats in harnesses and had them leashed when they were outside in the yard for a week, so they'd know where their new home was. We lived in the country, so indoor cats or leashed walks were a bit of a foreign concept. In the city I understand It though (my brother lost 2 cats in 4 months when he lived I the city - one was run over, the other poisoned).
    I'd still use a harness for a cat - even if they balk they will not get out of it as easily as a collar.
    But I'm a dog person myself, so no advice on leash training cats from me....
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    this is way too cute!!!

,my puppy didn't like walking at first either, i don't know if it is the same for cats, but you literally have to look straight ahead and just pull. eventually, they have to walk as they don't wanna be dragged. i still remember my muffins cute face pulling away from the direction i was walking, argh!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My cat is indoors only and I wouldn't dream of doing this to him for two main reasons:

1. He looks our windows all the time, but as soon as he's actually outside he is terrified and absolutely cannot calm down. We lived in a house my sister and husband and their two cats at one point in time. The front door got opened somehow and their cats had run off and were covered in mud when they got them back to the house. Our cat was inside, curled up, when we got home. Without a hint of dirt or anything from the outside on him.

2. I wouldn't want him to adapt to being outside and learn to love it and then long to be out there when we can't let him out. The idea of him wanting to go out and meowing at the door to be let out when he wants to, but not being able to let him go, would both break my heart and be really annoying. We had indoor/outdoor cats growing up and the constant in and out was always a rough life for us all.