Have a stubborn cat who won't go on walks with you?

Options

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My cat Thomas also did the 'dead cat impersonation' when I tried to use a leash. He was even more funny when I tried to use a harness. He let me put it on him just fine, but then he tried to back out of it and spent several minutes walking around the house backwards. When he decided he couldn't back out of it he decided to try and jump out of it, so he spent some time jumping like a leap frog! I was laughing so hard I was crying before I finally took pity on him and took the harness off.

Dogs have owners - cats have staff!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I'm looking into leashes for my two.
    They have always been indoor cats but I'd like to take them outside to see what all the fuss is about.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think my cat peed a little at the idea. ;)
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The hell are you trying to walk your cat for :/
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You don't "walk" cats.
    Cats piss and sh^t in a litter box. Its that way on purpose. They are easier to potty train because of that... its a tit for tat thing.
    People walk dogs, because dogs need to be walked. Cats don't. And it goes against everything cats are about. lol
    In my opinion :)
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    poor cat
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My cat had a harness but he would only walk when and where HE wanted to! Or he would do the flop and try to rub it off. Maybe I will have to find a stroller for him eventually because he LOVES being outside and right now we have a big yard so I can follow him and not worry about cars, but my husband and I are getting stationed in Japan so he won't be able to be off-leash anymore. Might get him outside while I run!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    LOL-I've put a harness on my cat before. And he just falls over. LOL
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That is so adorable. I will definitely need to be seeing photos of that. It almost makes me wish I could walk my rats..

You don't "walk" cats.

You can do anything if you believe in yourself
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Cats aren't designed to be walked. Should have got a dog.

However, I think most indoor cats would enjoy being taken for a person-drive. They can see all sorts of things they yearn to kill.
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Does the cat stroller have a way to keep them in it? I would hate for you to get them outdoors and then not be able to keep them safely in the stroller...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DuZmAHglus

Here's an example of one. Prepare to crack up at that guy's "cat voice," it's hilarious. They're completely covered and most cats seem to love them!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    When I owned cats (or they owned me) I used to walk them on a leash, took a long time to get them trained but it was that or they stayed indoors all the time (it may surprise people to know that many municipality's leash by-laws apply equally to cats) Contrary to popular belief (especially in an urban setting) indoor cats are healthier and live longer (and don't crap in all of the neighbourhood gardens). I love cats, cat owners who let their cats run amok not so much.

This is true. They are nearly 13 in people years and are very healthy and playful from keeping them inside, groomed, fed healthy and given plenty of fresh water. I wish I could figure out how to get them leash trained, but I'm thinking the stroller may be safer anyway since there are some loose dogs in the neighborhood that even I'm a bit afraid of.

I can just see it now: you strolling along with you cats in the buggy and one of those lose dogs you're afraid of approaches. You won't be able to stop the dog, it will do anything it can to get at the cats. They're outside, unprotected (you didn't think that little buggy thing would really keep them safe, did you?), they will freak out. The dog will have them because they're trapped inside a soft container. Keep your cats safe...at home!
    I've seen it happen...
  • DebG2006
    DebG2006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's too cute! I have a pet stroller for my Chihuahua. It keeps her safe and you can zip it up.
  • pen_thief
    Options

However, I think most indoor cats would enjoy being taken for a person-drive. They can see all sorts of things they yearn to kill.

It's a long, heartbreaking story but I had to get rid of my dog after a family split. In my teens, my mom permitted me a cat as they were lower maintenance in the cleanup department. How I ended up getting a brother and sister cat is also a long story.

Anyway, my cats pee in the car 80% of the time so now I have to plan according. Not going to lie, I considered fashioning diapers. It's the speed of the car and all the loud noises. (Again, some cats love car rides. Go figure!) But I know they'll handle the stroller okay, especially after the first few times when they figure out I'm not taking them to their doom.
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    I just told my cats about this. They both looked at me with hate in their eyes. Toaster (4yo) wants to kill me and Beanie (3yo) wants to destroy me.
  • pen_thief
    Options
    When I owned cats (or they owned me) I used to walk them on a leash, took a long time to get them trained but it was that or they stayed indoors all the time (it may surprise people to know that many municipality's leash by-laws apply equally to cats) Contrary to popular belief (especially in an urban setting) indoor cats are healthier and live longer (and don't crap in all of the neighbourhood gardens). I love cats, cat owners who let their cats run amok not so much.

This is true. They are nearly 13 in people years and are very healthy and playful from keeping them inside, groomed, fed healthy and given plenty of fresh water. I wish I could figure out how to get them leash trained, but I'm thinking the stroller may be safer anyway since there are some loose dogs in the neighborhood that even I'm a bit afraid of.

I can just see it now: you strolling along with you cats in the buggy and one of those lose dogs you're afraid of approaches. You won't be able to stop the dog, it will do anything it can to get at the cats. They're outside, unprotected (you didn't think that little buggy thing would really keep them safe, did you?), they will freak out. The dog will have them because they're trapped inside a soft container. Keep your cats safe...at home!
    I've seen it happen...

It's going to take one hell of a dog to overpower a 6' tall girl with a baseball bat.
    And, yes, I do think they're made pretty darn sturdy even if I couldn't fell the beast. I mean, you've got me thinking of Cujo or the Hound of the Baskervilles here. lol
  • DebG2006
    DebG2006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

It's a long, heartbreaking story but I had to get rid of my dog after a family split. In my teens, my mom permitted me a cat as they were lower maintenance in the cleanup department. How I ended up getting a brother and sister cat is also a long story.

Anyway, my cats pee in the car 80% of the time so now I have to plan according. Not going to lie, I considered fashioning diapers. It's the speed of the car and all the loud noises. (Again, some cats love car rides. Go figure!) But I know they'll handle the stroller okay, especially after the first few times when they figure out I'm not taking them to their doom.
    [/quote

When I got my pet stroller I took my dog for rides around the house. If I was using the computer my dog was in the stroller next to me. Same procedure if I was watching TV.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    I've tried taking my babies(cats) on walk so many times and they just lay down. I want to walk with them.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options

^^^This. Though, they may decide to ditch the stroller and just do the kill.

(Love the Weeping Angel, BTW)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    That is so adorable. I will definitely need to be seeing photos of that. It almost makes me wish I could walk my rats..

You don't "walk" cats.

You can do anything if you believe in yourself

Yes you can.. but you can't walk cats because you believe in walking yourself. The idea seems ludicrous to me.