?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    I betyour doctor has small tits... I am a 42 DD and I jog, and the deal is you need GOOD SUPPORT! I find that a regular good bra with a tight sports bra over it works very well. when I started, I also wore my SPANX to give my torsso support while I was starting out. as many have said, you have to find what works for you, and circut training is a great way to start. Good luck!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do water jogging...its the only way I can run right now. Burns a lot of calories and my knees and joints are in great shape. Just a thought. :)
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you that have lost breast size during weight loss. 45 lbs down and my girls have gotten bigger. They are much firmer and perkeir but bigger. haha
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That's crap! 40D and 227# when I started running. Champion Powerback bra was all I needed. NO issues whatsoever with the boobage. "Bad" knees all my life. They are actually hooked together wrong. Running made the muscles around them stronger, so now I have NO knee issues either.

Change doctors and enjoy running!
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Unless you have other medical issues, I'm not sure I'd listen to this advice from your doctor.

I did see a big topic on bras. If you search MFP, you will probably find some good advice. There was someone who actually wore THREE bras -- and had great luck. Multiple bras seemed to be the common advice.

I just started C25K yesterday. When I was posting about it, I saw this timely article on the side bar. Inspiring! Maybe it will help you, too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711234-300-lbs-and-ran-my-2nd-5k-i-feel-like-a-superhero-w-pics

Good luck!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am a 36E and weigh 175 lbs - I run.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I was running with 44DD breasts. You just have to wear a super supportive bra. You may need to invest 30-50 bucks on a QUALITY sports bra. Check on Ebay. They usually have some really good ones that are 20% cheaper than stores (new, not used)
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am a 38DD. I just picked up running (2 miles is the most I've run), and I have had no trouble with my joints or back. I'm also much heavier than you. I just wear a very supportive bra (like one-size-too-small supportive) and a tight tank top underneath my t-shirt.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    as many others have said.. not true. My "ta-tas" are bigger and I weigh more than you do. The trick is a good bra. I have found one recently that I really really really like-- Moving Comfort- Fiona Bra. Go to a sports store and have them fit you. It is worth it. Not cheap... but easy to hand wash and take care of. If you are larger in the bust area.. you are probably used to spending a little more for bra's anyway. Believe me.. i am on the poorer side.. and this is worth the investment!!! Good Luck. Oh.. and if you don't have a program to follow.. go to cool runnings website-- couch to 5k. It is an awesome program!!
  • russki1321
    Options
    I am pretty top heavy and I run all the time. I don't really have back troubles. The key is a good high impact sports bra. I use champion who have your size and underwire and are made for large chested women. I would do what feels comfortable and build from there. Good luck!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I think you would most likely end up with pretty bad back pain if you tried to run for more than a couple of miles.

You can however still do circuit training, because yes, I do believe that's one of the best weight loss activities. I would also try swimming if I were you. They might cause a little more 'drag' issue, but at least your back will thank you.

Also, it was really hard to make a 100% serious post.

You should listen to your doctor.......but I will say that I run (3-5 miles at a time) and I am a 38DD. I don't have back pain because of my running. It's all about finding a supportive bra. An elastic Champion from Walmart won't do the trick. You need to invest in a good sports bra (I like the Moving Comfort brand) or wear a regular bra with a sports bra (or two) over top of it.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have 36F's anf I'm running. I got braces for my knees, my back hasn't had any problems.
    I had to order the bra of my dreams. It's a racerback underwire form Champion.
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/JBL298/
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    wear a tight sports bra
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34DD and I run all the time. I do HIIT (sprints) at least twice a week, so it can be done. Just get yourself a good sports bra with a lot of support. Double up if you have to!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I call BS on that one. I was 32 G when started running.

^^^^^^ This, I'm a 38 F, a decent sports bra is all you need!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That's crap! My boobs are bigger same band size and I love running.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Poppycock!

(Mostly I responded just because it was a good reason to use a fun word.)
    I've been doing just fine. I do wear a regular bra under my sports bra for extra support and because I've lost weight so it's too loose. Need to buy a new one. Yay.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    im a 38G at 179 and i run i quite enjoy it get a good sports bra highest support you can find they even sell with underwire (devils work right there)get the highest support and compression you can find... and lane bryant can fit the really odd larger sizes
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about is to work in some core training to build up your abs and back. That would also help you reduce stress on your lower back when you run.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I call BS on that one. I was 32 G when started running.

This. Definitely listen to your body. If you feel like you're in pain then stop. I started running/jogging at 250 lbs and 42DDD. Strap those things in. :laugh:

Edited to clarify. I also wear a regular jersey bra and then a sports bra over it to ensure there is no uncomfortable movement in the chest.