?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I'm a 36D and I wear a tight support bra to run, jog or speed walk, I cant run or even jog with a normal bra, also I cant run at my time of month as I get allot of pain in my boobs then. :(

listen to your own body and wear support every run :)
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I once had a doctor tell me my boobs were making it hard for me to breathe--turns out I had undiagnosed asthma! The reason I'm telling you this is, I am sure you can get a very supportive bra (mine are bigger than yours, so I know what it's like, believe me). I lot of people, even doctors, don't know what they are talking about when it comes to that. Good luck and I hope you find the regimen you're looking for! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to suggest your doctor may be on of the many who is misinformed on the "dangers' of running. As some others have suggested try a mixture of walking with short periods of slow running. Pay attention to how your body feels and add time to your running intervals on a conservative basis. Buy a good sports bra (sorry, can't offer any advice in that dept)
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'm nursing a baby and am currently a 38 H, and just started couch to 5k. I wouldn't run marathons until I had less bulk/weight on my joints but that is NOT an issue for me right now!
    I reccomend the moving comfort bra. LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe slightly off-topic - Most of the posters in this thread claim to be DD. It's convenient to be a D/DD because lingerie stores like Victorias Secret sell that size, but it's most likely that many of you are actually an E F or G cup or even above... I highly recommend going to a reputable lingerie store (not VS) and getting a fitting. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size and don't know it because their favorite bra retailer doesn't sell anything over a DD+!

SO True! Im sure i am in the wrong size, but truthfully I wont be buying expensive bras until i can get a lift...After 2 kids and a lifetime of losing and gaining 50 lbs at a time, my girls have seen better days!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Something to consider: running is an advanced activity and not the best way to get into shape or lose weight I am a runner but limit distance and add in hill sprints and other intervals; also got to a lower weight and fitness level before undertaking. (still ended up with an ankle tendon injury that I am slowly recovering from) I would start with walking, incline walking and then add some intervals of jogging down the line. Resistance training should be done as well.

My personal preference aesthetically are women who do resistance training, have a good diet and a limited amount of cardio. I just think they end up looking the most attractive vs those who neglect protein, strength training and go hog wild on the distance cardio. They end up looking waify or "skinny fat". IMO
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I'm not sure whether American sizes differ, but I was a 36HH and 175Ibs when I started running and with a good sports bra I hardly noticed them. They're still irritating but they're held pretty still.

ETA: I used the C25K to start running, which was periods of running mixed with walking. I'm now a 36G and running up to 8 miles.
  • pilatespolekat
    pilatespolekat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe slightly off-topic - Most of the posters in this thread claim to be DD. It's convenient to be a D/DD because lingerie stores like Victorias Secret sell that size, but it's most likely that many of you are actually an E F or G cup or even above... I highly recommend going to a reputable lingerie store (not VS) and getting a fitting. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size and don't know it because their favorite bra retailer doesn't sell anything over a DD+!

^^^^^ AGREED! I am a 32DD at Victoria's Secret, and the band is STILL too big around...not enough support where it matters. Technically, I'm 28F, but the nearest legit lingerie shop is forever away.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've heard from these same forums that nobody should run until they are at a healthy weight. Nonsense! I started running 20+ pounds ago. I just last week moved from obese to overweight. I'm certainly not fast yet, but I'm out there running 5+ miles per day. The most important thing for you will be to support the twins and listen to your joints. Walk when you need to but just keep moving.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

I call BS on that one. I was 32 G when started running.

And by the way I am now 32 DD and I run 15-20 miles a week. You can run!! Don't let big boobies stop you. Lots of bras out there that will keep them in place!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about your doctor there. I am 206 lbs and wear a 38DD. I just finished my first half marathon on Saturday. I do, however, wear 2 sports bras (they are the cheaper, Wal-Mart kind). The thing that makes the biggest difference is having good shoes!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: has your dr got boobs? probally not probally a bloke! :laugh:

take it from the ones who have done it and got the t-shirts(and bras) who know what they are on about x
  • pilatespolekat
    pilatespolekat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

Get a really supportive sports bra.... circuit training and running shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a proper fitting & supportive sports bra!

Also, try pilates for a toned tummy! The results are AMAZING & most of it is mat work so your back shouldn't be strained :) If you want to check out pilates for free, I recommend checking out "blogilates" on youtube. She is a little peppy, but her workouts are awesome! Good luck! :) ~Kat
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wear 30Gs and I was running (at least before my pregnancy). I agree with PP; running is fine, just make sure you get the right bra. Also, what really helped me was ensuring I did weight training 2-3 days a week. I actually started weight training about 2 months before I started running. It really helps prevent back pain due to large breasts. I made sure I incorporated good back and shoulder strengthening routines at least 2 days a week. I think you can totally do it, just start out right.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought when I read that post was if that were true then a whole lot of women in the military wouldn't be allowed to run. If you want to run, pull on one heck of a good sportsbra and go running.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    That is the most asinine thing I've heard. I have a large chest and have run extremely long distances with them. Do you want to run? If so, do it. Definitely research bras....and find a new doctor.
  • wattsj56
    wattsj56 Posts: 94
    Options
    i just wear two sports bras :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Huh? Have you tried running? Do you enjoy it? If so get a good fitting sports bra and go run.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Balderdash. My boobies are 36DD and I ran my first 5k the other month. A decent sports bra does wonders.
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to run then start gently (many people advocate the C25K program), wear good quality running shoes that are correct for your running style, and consider a sports bra.

I agree, doc recommendation seems a little goofy ... I started the C25K program at 185 lbs (I'm 5'3") with 38D's (thanks to my 2 kids) ... yes there was a whole lotta shakin' in the beginning, but get yourself a good sports bra, then throw on a shelf-bra tank for extra support, and give C25K a try. And if you're leery about it, start the program on an elliptical instead of the road or track and see how you feel. If you enjoy it, you'll get the itch to try an actual jog. (That's how it worked for me!)

I wear a knee brace sometimes when I'm feeling creaky, and I'm a pretty slow mover, but I'm jogging 2+ miles/day 3x a week and it has definitely done a lot to tone my lower half. I totally recommend the C25K program for any beginner.

Good luck to you!