?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you already have a bad back? If so, consider strengthening your core.

If you do decide to run (I run with the same size as you) get a really good compression running bra.
    I use Moving Comfort bras. ( I have the fiona style)
    They are awesome, and really keep you in, and from moving too much in that area.
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm a 38D/36DD, 5'4" and 184lbs. I stared running when I was about 15lbs heavier and never had a medical professional tell me I couldn't run because of "the girls." I don't have any shoulder/back/joint pain while running. When I first started I had some shoulder soreness that was due to my using a cheap-o sports bra - I made an investment and got a quality bra from a running shop, one designed for the well-endowed runner, and after that I've had no issues.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?
    BS. Buy a good compression top or bra, start slow and listen to your body. I'm on week 7 of couch to 5k, and according to your doc, shouldn't be running. My joints etc feel the best they have in years - thanks to the exercise and making my body stronger.
  • MountaineerGirlx
    Options
    I'm about the same size as you and what I do is interval train for a few weeks to eventually be able to run 30 minutes straight. I think you still get the health benefits of running, but I dont feel over-exerted when I run like this so I think maybe it could help you too.
    I used this link - http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm
  • sallylukas
    Options
    A friend of mine has the same problem. She found a bra that helps her stay "secure". I have a secret group that she has posted info on if you would like to join. It is a group where we post recipes, exercises, quotes, etc. I would love for you to join if you like! It's called Healthy N' Fit on Facebook. Also, have you tried HIIT training on a cycle or elliptical? Not sure if anyone posted that idea, but it would not be as much pressure on your back.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I hate running & medium intensity cardio in general, so that may color what I have to say.

Instead of running, try sprinting and walking. If you've ever run flat out, you know that it can actually be lower intensity than jogging. Some recent research studies have indicated that intermittent intense training is better for fat loss than straight up cardio. http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/running-bursts-burn-fat-1648.html

In the end, just try a bunch of stuff and do what works for you.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I am the same size you are and I am winding down training for my first Half Marathon. Yes, you can run even if you were a G. Get a second opinion.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nonsense! I am a 36G, and I run about 5 miles a day in about 30 minutes.

A great sports bra is THE key. I wear Elomi sports bra. I also wear their other styles too. They are a perfect fit.

I also bought some Kangoo Jumps, and they are incredible for running... takes about 60% of the impact off your joints. I injured my cartilage last year (a fall, not running), and I can't run without my KJs.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think it honestly depends on how you feel. I have large breasts as well and running is not my first choice of activities. I would rather swim or cycle. It's easier on the back and the joints in general while still being highly effective in getting lean.

I do have back problems as a result of how large I am on top...that being said, I would like to be able to run someday as well, and do practice interval jogging from time to time. I just make sure I am in tune with my body and stop at any sign of pain.

Also, I'd say, make sure you have good bra support if you decide to take on running and learn some good back stretches.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I had an overweight friend with giant bazongas who ran a marathon. I think the right support should allow you to run. Of course, I hate running with a passion and would probably bike in your situation.
  • kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have a really large (natural) bust and totally understand. I am currently a 38DD, but have been as large as an F. Even in college when I did jog (approximately 36D at the time) I would do regular bra, sports bra and heavy wrap and it was sometimes still painful. Took me longer to wrap up and strap up then it did to run! ha Was not worth in for me. There are other ways to lose without running. If your breasts are an issue then choose a different method. When I do any type of circuit training (this is at my home) I just do the jumping jacks or whatever and hold my boobs in place! lol You look a little odd but your boobs don't hurt! Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    get a good sports bra and ignore your doctor - sounds like an ars e.
  • tkkd
    tkkd Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi that is crap I am 42 D I recently got this sports bra by Enell. They aren't attractive but the girls don't move anywhere follow there measurements and you will be fine. I don't do alot of jogging cause I am now getting into it. But I tell you I can jump up and down and nothing moves. They are on sale on Amazon.com. Check them out.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ive never heard that from a doctor before, Im 34DD and when i started out weighed over 170lbs I started doing kickboxing classes to lose my weight and ran in our cardio sessions regularly never had a problem running, jumping or sparring although i do wear two sports bras. I am down to around 154lbs now and run around 3 miles 5 days a week. Its one of the best exercises i know.
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    I think that is crazy! You can totally do whatever exercises you want to try! I definitely think investing in a good sports bra is the way to go! I am a 36DD and I started out w/medium impact Walmart sports bras.....definitely not enough support - I just spent $50 on an UnderArmor high impact one from Academy! Its soooo comfortable! I say try a bunch on and get one that feels good on!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7, athletic build, and way bigger boobs than that. I have no problems running. I have an underarmour sports bra, a champion, and one other I can't remember the name. All serve their purpose just fine and the girls aren't swinging violently when I run.

goofy dr.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    All the girls in this thread are my ideal!!!! I want the dr to tell me my boobs are too big to run!!!!!!!!!!! -sniffles- that is all
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Negative!! You can run!! Just get a REAL, very supportive compression type sports bra. the bouncing is what will cause injury. Eleminate/minimize the bouncing and you're good to go!!

Agree. I used to wear 2 bras for extra support.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    get a good sports bra and ignore your doctor - sounds like an ars e.

Even if sports bras don't support enough, wear a good regular bra with a form fitting under shirt. That's what I used to do, now that I have lost some of my "boobage" I wear a sports bra (I'm a natural 34 D, and my back is fine)...
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just get a great bra that buckles the girls down and start running, girlfriend.