?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• Sirxx99
    Sirxx99 Posts: 43
    Options
    Dr.'s dont know everything.... they give advice based on statistics.... I say double up on sports bra and know your limits.. The only person that knows what is good for you..... is YOU. If you went to the DR's because you have massive back issues then jogging is probably not a good idea. For every problem there is a solution you may just have to take the time out to see what works best for you.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    My best friends daughter is also a DD, 34 I would think. I know she is a DD we talked about it. She uses sports bras, to keep them strapped down. But she does run, she runs 5 ks regularly. If I knew her sn here I would give her yours, etc...

Maybe rephrase your question, to direct it at runners with D to DD boobs, I think that will get you some serious answers, well more of them anyway. good luck.
  • beckie4442
    beckie4442 Posts: 132
    Options
    I bought a shock absorber and that keeps my english 34FF's pretty much in place. Just start slowly.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I call BS on that one. I was 32 G when started running.

^^^this. I was a 42F & 205lbs when I started running. I'm now down to 166, but am still a 38DD/F depending on the bra. You just have to make sure you have a good running bra. Or if you're tight on money like myself, double up with 2 that may be a bit more inferior. I prefer a tight lil' cheapo one paired with a nice, thick spandex-y work-out tank that I have. Keeps everything nice & snug without any bouncing. And I have sufffered from back pain for more than 20 years. I say give it a try and see how it feels for you.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a 34DDD, I understand. I do not run and I LOATHE anything like jumping jacks. The best advice is to wear a great bra (Le Mystere 320 is a GREAT sports bra - You can find them on eBay because they are $$$ at the store). For cardio and fat burning, the Arc trainer is really good at getting your heart rate up without bouncing too much as well as the stair climber. I do Zumba a few times a week and found that, although, there is some impact, the 'boys' are good.

Doing weights will also help. Keeping our core and back strong are important to ladies such as us!

BTW, I am 5'2", 152 lbs.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same size and currently weigh just over 190. I run for cardio and wear a decent bra, and my boobs don't give me too much trouble. Frankly I think your doc is a bit whack, but still a doctor, so why not compromise - invest in a quality sports bra that's made specifically for high endurance activities, and start by walking. Take good care of your back by stretching and doing some strength training, too. Once you've lost some weight just from that, I'd go see the doc again to see if you can take it up a notch.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Too funny!!! I have 38DD and with the right sports bra, I run just fine... No problems at all!
    I went to my local Fleet Feet and was properly fitted for a sports bra and last fall ran my first 1/2 marathon...

I think you need a second opinion and a good sports bra :)
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I'm a 36DD or a 38D depending on the company. Get yourself a good restrictive sports bra and you'll be fine.
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wear a 36G and I run half marathons. I have never heard this before, but you have been severely misinformed by your doctor!!! Get a good sports bra. Freya Active, Wacoal Sport, and Shock Absorber make greta bras in bigger sizes.

Get out there and RUN!!!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm a 38DD at 5ft 6in and around 172 pounds and have completed 1 marathon, 4 half marathons, 1 10-mile race and numerous shorter races - plus the training involved in all of those. I'm not fast, but I get it done.

It's called finding the correct sports bra, and there are no issues whatsoever. Personally I use Moving Comfort's Fiona bra and love it.

Your doctor is an idiot.
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    strap your girls down and go jogging! i wear 2 sports bras and a sports tank with a built in bra to keep my puppies down when i go for my jogs. they're not that big...at least, i don't think they are...but keeping the girls down has helped. only pain i had was with my shins during the first week...then my knees a couple of weeks later, but i'm sure all of that was just because i was starting out. no pain since. i say try it for a week and see how it goes.
  • sherise1214
    sherise1214 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think you might want to ask the doctor more questions. Heavy breasts need more support, but he could be telling you this based on your history, such as a joints and arthritis in your family etc., and along with how tall you are, your ultimate goal weight etc., but to say you wont be able to ever run is broad, maybe after you get to a lower weight, make sure you do exercises to strengthen your stomach and back to support your breasts and running. All those questions along with your individual body requirements, might be able to get you to be able to run, or even a modified run such as run 3 min/ walk 2 etc., The point is more questions as to why the NO running for you prescription, or perhaps he meant at the weight you are now and how its distributed. Two people at the same height and weight can look completely different. Its a personal thing.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is unable to run for this reason. She was never told by a doctor not to run, but it's too painful for her. She's only 5'2", weighs about 130, and wears a 34DD.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read the 8 pages of replies so this may have been covered. Do you have existing joint or back problems? Also, how tall are you.

I'm 5'5" and considerably older than you (based on profile pic) and when I started to run again I was just under 170 and wore a 36D and had no problems. Just make sure you have a good supportive exercise bra. I use the Moving Comfort Mia bra and love it!

If you do have existing joint / back problems, then listen to you doctor!!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Swimming is just as good of an exercise as running, if not better. Also, there are other cardios that you can do until your body is able to support running - cycling, eliptical, martial arts, etc.

People don't really get that running with big boobs is PAINFUL. If your doctor says not to do it, do NOT do it. It will end up hurting you more than helping you. When I gained my weight, I couldn't run. At all. The elliptical was my best friend until I lost about 30lbs.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2 110 lbs with 34DD's! i run with a tight sports bra over top my normal bra with a fitted tank top over that. and it seems to work for me. i stay mindful of my posture and allow myself to take breaks if i need them of course.

you could always use bikes, walk on incline on the treadmill, elliptical, arc trainers.. etc. if running doesn't work for you thats okay, there are many options
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

Actually, I wear a 38DDD-40DD, I run (although not for very long periods of time) and workout like a beast (cardio and strength). As long as I do sufficient core and leg strength training in conjunction with any running or jarring cardio, I have minimal pain. A sufficiently supportive sports bra and the right shoes are important as well. I have to wear two heavy duty sports bras, but it keeps the weight of my breasts closer to my body and it keeps them from jumping up and down (which pulls on the spine).
  • ksprague1
    Options
    I agree on the supportive work out bra. I am a 38D and have run (jogged ;)) several 5Ks. Make sure your workout bra is sized like your regular bra, not S, M, L, etc. The good ones cost more but are totally worth it.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    34DD and closing in on a six min mile. Wear underwire topped with compression bra and you will be fine
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'm 175, wearing a 36DDD. I use a super supportive running bra that I found at Lane Bryant http://www.lanebryant.com/cacique-plus-size-sexy-bras-intimate-apparel/bras/sports-bras/microfiber-front-closure-molded-sports-bra/4043c4044c775p65248/index.pro

I use a size small enough that it is a struggle to get it hooked close. I still bounce a little bit, but it makes such a huge difference.