Smoking Neighbours

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you're not a smoker, and have sensitivities to these things, and it happens nearly every single night when you're trying to get to sleep, you wouldn't be calling this over-reacting.

I can't move. I signed a 1 year lease. I would have to find someone to replace me before I can leave. Last time I tried that, I lost over $1000.

Oh, and the *kitten* just went out and lit another cigarette. If he doesn't stop, I'll be up all damn night!

i dont' think your overreacting at all. i am a non smoker, and my neighbor below me smokes outside, i cannot open my windows, or go out on my balcany. my sons are not allowed to play outside when she is home. this is not over reacting, its a very offensive smell, and is hard to get rid of, and the thought of using sprays to cover it up, is just worst, i would suggest asking your apartment manager if you can "trade " rooms. sometimes, if there is an available apartment, they will let you move into it, and you don't have to do anything with yoru lease.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: bish:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It sucks but he's not doing it in your apartment so I think you have to suck it up, close your windows if it bothers you that much. Smokers, despite being societal pariahs, do have rights too. (and yes I'm a former smoker, 8 years non smoker, and I hate the smell of smoke but I'm not going to b**tch to my landlord because my neighbor smokes - my problem, not his).

This.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Well, since he is directly below you and the smoke is drifting up, my guess is that, with the right breeze, your poop will land on his balcony.
    Fire away.

But seriously, you could probably get a doctor to legitimise your smoke sensitivity and move out with no financial loss.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's hard to ask for advice on here when people are just going to be rude and reply with nasty remarks and say you are overreacting.

Anyway, I would talk with this guy first and if he responds rudely and refuses to do anything about his smoking that is affecting you, then talk to the landlord.

I would say close your window but since it's your right to leave it open then I say do what you wany. His smoking is obviously affecting your health because the smoke is entering your apartment. He has the right to smoke, true, but he should do it in an area where the smoke doesn't travel directly into your apartment.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Clearly a group hug is needed here.

I'll need to talk to the landlord about that first.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I hate apt living-because of this reason. Smokers are a**holes all around. Rent a house!!! Second hand smoke kills people and you are NOT over reacting!

Good Luck!

Well that's rude. I am a smoker and I like to think I am sunshine all the time. Don't be so rude! I could easily flip it and say non-smokers are a-holes purely for the complaining that we get. Hush up.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    People's "rights" end when they encroach upon others rights. A person shouldn't have to keep their windows shut continually because somebody else likes to send smoke in all directions. That's an unreasonable suggestion.

Think about noise pollution. You have a "right" to talk outside at a reasonable volume. You don't really have a right to play loud music or shout to the point that the neighbors are disturbed by it. If the concept applies to noise, why on earth would it not apply to smoke?