"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options

Replies

• sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • Dylex
    Dylex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jmelaun
    jmelaun Posts: 9
    Options
    As to the finer points of recognizing how many calories are "enough" for you. That's easy enough to estimate (with some impressision I admit, but it'll get you in the ballpark). Just find your approximate BMR (there's a ton of sites out there that do this, go to webMD and put metabolism calculator in, you'll find their tool for TDEE) and multiply by 25% and you'll get close to your TDEE.

Why multiply by 25%?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    He corrected it later after realizing his mistake - there are various ranges according to studies as to what percentage of TDEE calories BMR assumes. In his example, its up to 75% of TDEE. Thus, one way to estimate TDEE is to take BMR and multiply it by 1.25.
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If humans went into true starvation mode after only skipping 1 meal or not eating for a day we would not have survived this long fact not fiction.

Hmm, since starvation mode is a process not a condition, not sure what this is referring to. As I said in my post, the first 1 to 2 days, nothing really changes in the first 24 to 48 hours, so while the process of starvation mode begins after your deficit grows to large, hormonal changes don't really start until glycogen reserves get to low. Which takes about 24 hours in the case of fasting, and about 48 hours in the case of underfeeding (enough to deplete the glycogen reserves).

Were you referring to something else?
    no I was saying people who think that their bodys will go into starvation mode from not eating in like a couple hrs are silly and have not a clue.

Oh, I see. Well, I don't think I would think them silly, but yes, that would be simple ignorance of how the metabolism works. I don't blame people for that, I blame the out of control diet industry that has played on human insecurity for decades. It's disgusting how morally bankrupt some of these companies are.

The companies that try to get you to "lose 10 to 20 lbs of waste built up in your colon" are the ones that really steam me. For the record. if you have 10 to 20 lbs of waste in your colon, you have serious problems and need to go see a doctor, your colon should be generally empty and pink, not full of (pardon my french) crap.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    He corrected it later after realizing his mistake - there are various ranges according to studies as to what percentage of TDEE calories BMR assumes. In his example, its up to 75% of TDEE. Thus, one way to estimate TDEE is to take BMR and multiply it by 1.25.

exactly. Please don't take the 1.25 as a number in stone though guys, it was just an example. Depending you your personal information, that can be anywhere from 1.25 to 1.65 (even higher or lower in some cases). It largely depends on your activity level and whether you want to record your exercise in that activity level or add it separately (like MFP does). The former model is easier but less accurate, the later is more precise (assuming you correctly calculate your exercise calories) but harder as you must log your exercise every day and estimate it right.

I'm going to email the support staff and see if they can edit my original post. I can't or I would have already.
  • jshhh1
    jshhh1 Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump
  • cashew1b
    cashew1b Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    BUMP..BUMP..
  • Getaway
    Getaway Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw this on the BBC and thought I'd give the 2:5 a go:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

No more than 600 calories Monday, Tuesday and eat normally the other days - and I mean lots of beer, wine and some bags of sweets, eating out and no calorie counting whatsoever. 4lbs off so far in 2 weeks with no pain or unpleasantness. The study is not primarily about weight loss, more of a happy side effect.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Really well explained. I lost 20 pounds in 20 months. Not impressive but I am in a better shape than ever.

Healthy weight loss is always impressive to me, no matter the amount or time taken. Don't sell yourself short. Slow and stead means victory with weight loss, fast usually means relapse (at a 90% clip actually) in this game.

Kudos to you!
    Love this! I really needed to read this today. My spirits are lifted :)
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good post. Just some constructive criticism. Your formula for calculating TDEE is wrong. If you take your BMR and multiply by 25% you then have to add that figure to BMR to get TDEE. I find when explaining things like this to people that it's helpful to demonstrate the formula in a simple mathematical format. ie. BMR X .25 = x and then BMR + x = TDEE (approximately) You wouldn't believe the problems people have finding percentage sometimes!

I think that some of the reason that people get these issues confused is because when we write about them and try to explain them in accessible terms we leave out key points that we assume are givens. For instance, in the case of your well thought out explanation, answering the questions "Does eating 'X' amount of calories over our BMR keep our body out of 'starvation mode'? or "How far can I calorie restrict before I trigger starvation mode?" would have been very useful.

Thank you for sharing your rational:happy:
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Good post. Just some constructive criticism. Your formula for calculating TDEE is wrong. If you take your BMR and multiply by 25% you then have to add that figure to BMR to get TDEE. I find when explaining things like this to people that it's helpful to demonstrate the formula in a simple mathematical format. ie. BMR X .25 = x and then BMR + x = TDEE (approximately) You wouldn't believe the problems people have finding percentage sometimes!

I think that some of the reason that people get these issues confused is because when we write about them and try to explain them in accessible terms we leave out key points that we assume are givens. For instance, in the case of your well thought out explanation, answering the questions "Does eating 'X' amount of calories over our BMR keep our body out of 'starvation mode'? or "How far can I calorie restrict before I trigger starvation mode?" would have been very useful.

Thank you for sharing your rational:happy:

I've already addressed the incorrect formula in multiple replies, and have requested from the support staff to change the original post. Nothing more I can do about that as I can't edit the original post any more.

As to your second part, I agree, it would be great if I could answer those definitively. Unfortunately there's really no definitive answer to them (thus the giant post), if there was, this would all be very easy. How much over (or under in the case of large fat volumes) your BMR you can eat is not something that can be generically determined, and must be calculated per person based on their individual statistics. The second question you posited is closely related to the first, and essentially requires the same answer.
    That's kind of the point of the whole post, there's no simple, one size fits all answer to these questions, so simply saying "eat XXX calories and you'll stay out of starvation mode" is not helpful to the group. You have put in the research on your own (or find someone you trust to do it for you) in order to figure out where you should be. Just blithely choosing the 2 lbs per week option that MFP has because you like the sound of losing 2 lbs per week won't necessarily work, it may, if your body can support that deficit, but it may not if it can't.
  • KFJOI4JWGOJM
    Options
    Thanks for explaining this. Bump for later :)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Bump for later . . . . and for the occasional reminder
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    to keep track of you... thanks so much!