Does This Make Me a Bad MFPer?

Options

Replies

• bleacheblonde
    Options
    Unless I have something relevant and interesting or unique to say, I keep quiet. That's not just on MFP though, that's just how I operate in life generally. For some reason, it bothers people more than I'd expect.

^^ Me too! I'm not one to speak just for the sake of speaking. I'm a quiet person in general. I'm a thinker, not a talker :)
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Well I am a "Chatty Cathy" with my MFP friends. May border on annoying (though I hope not). I enjoy trying to give them an encouraging word or two. Like others I don't usually comment on food diaries....unless it looks like a totally delicious day! ;o)
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those bleeding heart weirdos that doesn't want or need to receive support, but I love to give it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Personally, this is something I've got to do for me.

I like the message boards to learn new ideas and approaches. Or even to validate some of my existing philosophies.
    I spout off a lot, but I find commenting helps me clarify my thoughts and helps me work out new strategies.

I don't get the whole accountability thing some people have either.
    I saw one thread where the OP was furious that people didn't have their diary public.
    Accountability may work for her, but
    Other people telling me I'm bad and wrong is really the express route to me giving up.
    Other people over praising gives me a false sense of success, and I think I don't have to try as hard.
    I really need to find my own equilibrium, keep my own council.

I've been a big fan of baby steps. I'm not perfect, but I'm doing better and if I can keep doing a little better. And remember to balance food with life, not get too obsessed with restricting or indulging, hopefully I can get a little closer to happy.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way, at most i'll toss a "nice" but something about motivating here seems so..(cant think of a word that won't offend) i appreciate friends nice comments and congrats but to say they are motivating me is another story...im a terrible MFPer
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nope it's not just you! I'm terrible at commenting on exercise logs and what not, but that's just because that stuff doesn't motivate me either! I'm far more motivated when my MFP friends take a little time to get to know me a bit.. I feel more accountable towards folks I've had a conversation with than folks who post the arbritary "well done" 's and nothing more.

^^ Me, too.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Like others mentioned, its all different for others. For me, this site being a fitness site is a priority above all. The folks who're here just for chit-chat got no place in my FL. I like them and do communicate with them but only on forums. On my FL and my newsfeed, I need/give support in terms of fitness. I do make statuses that are not fitness related but if you're not commenting on my workouts/food diary then I cannot keep you in my FL and have to make room for folks who give/need support since I have limited time. I have a bunch of folks I communicate only via forums but my FL need sto stay small
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Horrible. Be gone from my sight.

I see someone has Haterade(tm) on their food log today. :bigsmile:
    Who cares, you're cute. :flowerforyou:

Oh behave. :love:

Yeah, I guess I just can't imagine that someone's about to blow off a workout then thinks "wait! a bunch of internet strangers won't say 'atta boy!' if I skip this workout! Guess I better hit the gym!"

I don't think it makes any of us antisocial.
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like being invested in my MFP friends by knowing their individual goals and personalities. They seem to appreciate it. Quite honestly, I get as much out of it as they do. Plus, it allows for a good exchange of information and leads to interesting friendships.

I agree 100%.
  • thatbitchychick
    thatbitchychick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the validation of strangers that makes people want MFP friends. I think it's the possible humiliation of strangers seeing your food journal (which would probably keep me from eating chips) that makes people want MFP friends. Notice I have no friends, LOL!
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Unless I have something relevant and interesting or unique to say, I keep quiet. That's not just on MFP though, that's just how I operate in life generally. For some reason, it bothers people more than I'd expect.

^^this^^.....i don't have any friends on MFP. i get some, but i just don't know what to say to them. they can eat how they want, zumba all day long, etc....that's on them. i don't want to criticize, and me commenting "atta-boy" everyday seems fake to me.

i like reading the forum posts however. Some threads are motivating, some provoke ideas i can put into my fitness rotation and some (like the attention-whorey threads, y u eat back ur exercise calories, etc) are just plain ol' entertaining :laugh:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a crappy MFP friend. I high-5 sometimes and I do like to look at people's diaries but I'm usually on the fly and logging my stuff with a kid climbing on my head. I do try to yay!! for everyone when they weigh in though.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I like being invested in my MFP friends by knowing their individual goals and personalities. They seem to appreciate it. Quite honestly, I get as much out of it as they do. Plus, it allows for a good exchange of information and leads to interesting friendships.

This pretty much sums it up for me too…

Plus, I have a couple of friends who will give me a much needed kick in the pants if I start slacking on my logs. They really help me get back on track when I fall off the wagon. I try to do the same for my friends.

Granted, many of my status updates are totally non fitness-related; but most of my friends are willing to put up with my weird personality. And they seem to get a chuckle out of some of the stuff I post. So, if I can make someone smile, I chalk that up as a win :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Plus, I have a couple of friends who will give me a much needed kick in the pants if I start slacking on my logs. They really help me get back on track when I fall off the wagon. I try to do the same for my friends.

Granted, many of my status updates are totally non fitness-related; but most of my friends are willing to put up with my weird personality. And they seem to get a chuckle out of some of the stuff I post. So, if I can make someone smile, I chalk that up as a win :flowerforyou:

You're totally worthy of putting up with :D
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I will comment if I am impressed with they exercise someone did. Being the lazy *kitten* that I am, it doesn't take much to impress me.

If someone posts a regular status or something, I will comment if I have something to add, but that is it.

Now, what I am diligent about is checking in with others to see how they are doing (fitness wise) other than what they post.

ETA: I don't have many "friends" and few of them comment on my stuff. I'm not into the "way to go" stuff. I need someone to be an *kitten* to me and tell me I'm being lazy.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Some people want props when they do well. Others want scolded when they mess up. And there are some that only hear what they want to.

Personally, I don't care for the people that give the "WTG on your fiber intake!" or "Nice water consumption!" I, like several others here, prefer to be accountable for myself and observe what works best with others in the hopes that I may learn something new and useful. IRL I'm a social person, but with my online profiles... not so much. Go ahead and add me; I could use some more friends.

Oh, and I do enjoy perusing the forums for troll threads ;)
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you're not going to comment on your FL's status updates, why have friends in the first place?

I personally love motivating my friends and seeing their accomplishments. It's those accomplishments that inspire me to 'give it my best'. Yes, they are strangers and we will most likely never meet IRL, but I can learn a lot from them. I have several friends who know a lot about fitness, and find it extremely interesting to learn from their daily logs. I ask them questions, and truly love it, when they respond. I have truly come to really care about them and their daily struggles. I want to post comments on their status updates. I want to be the one who inspires them to reach their goals. They start out strangers, but end up friends. I love it!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

You're totally worthy of putting up with :D

Awwww...thanks!! :blushing:
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I don't don't think it makes u a bad mfper at all. I like to comment on stuff, some days i'll go nuts and some days I won't comment at all....I rarely comment on food diaries. I certainly don't get offended or delete people of they don't comment on my stuff. I don't NEED comments. My motivation comes from within but I do appreciate the friendships I have made so far.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is the validation of strangers on the internet the thing that really motivates them to get up and start moving?

Is it just me?

Could be the hand jobs?