Lean Cusines ? yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them every day for lunch and then Id have one of those "steam in the bag" microwave things of edamame to snack on throughout the day in lieu of popcorn or chocolate bars, etc. I drink loads of unsweet tea all day, so the sodium wasn't much of a factor for me, but you cannot beat the convenience. And in my office, I was the only one who used the freezer, so Id stock it up every 2 weeks or so. And Id have Popsicles in there for when I had a sweet tooth... :) I got joked on about my Popsicles. Hahaha
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    BLEH - NO!!

I prefer quantity and quality - I love the fresh made deli's at the grocery store.
    Grilled chicken that TASTES like chicken & isn't over processed
    Fresh veggies for steaming or salads

Usually I can eat a whole plate of those and be stuffed for around the same calories & less sodium / preservaties. Lean Cuisines and those frozen dinners always left me a little hollow & open to bad snacking later.

The good thing is with a really good Grocery deli I can swing by the freezer aisle & pick up a box of low cal/carb/fat ice cream options to keep me feeling less 'restricted'.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    thank u guys for ur opinons..my next question...whatt do u all bring for lunch in the office ? lol i need some ideas!

Vegetable soup w/ grilled cheese, vegetarian chili, stir-fry (<- mostly broccoli) , leftovers
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    thank u guys for ur opinons..my next question...whatt do u all bring for lunch in the office ? lol i need some ideas!

Sometimes I'll buy the canned chicken, buy some whole wheat crackers, fat free mayo, some lettuce or spinach, hot sauce and some veg-all...quick, easy, cheap, and pretty tasty. Just make sure you rinse the veg-all and the chicken so you can wash off as much sodium as possible.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the processed convience meals. I'll usually just cook my lunches for the week on Sundays. Today I had quinoa (seasoned with bragg's organic sprinkle seasoning and nutritional yeast) with farmers' market fresh kale, broccoli, and grape tomatoes. So delicious, nutritious and easy to make.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow I wish I was as organized as a lot of you on here. I can barely cook a meal for dinner much less do all of them on Sundays. I keep the frozen dinners in the freezer at work on those days I can't or don't want to get out. I keep Natural PB, sliced apples, greek yogart and baby carrots with skinny cow cheese in the fridge. We just recently got a store that has a great salad bar here close to work. Though it is more expensive to eat off the salad bar - it is much healther so that's what I do most of my lunches now. I say there's nothing wrong with the lean cusine or WW meals as long as you are logging them and not eating them for every meal.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Sunday cooker and eat the same thing for lunch all week. This week I hadn't had a chance to go to the grocery store so I had to just look around my kitchen and cooked some brown rice. Then I opened up a can of tomatoes and a can of black beans and cooked them on the stove with some spices. Cooked some carrots as well. And voila there's my meal that I measured and divided into 5 servings.

My snacks are fruit, cashews, string cheese, hummus with bell pepper.
  • rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started bringing lean cusine meals that are healthy express, They are near the ravaoli, and are $2 at walmart. You cook the pasta/rice and then pour the sauce with chicen over it. None of them are high in sodium and they are all less than 6 grams of fat and less than 400 calories. I don't have to put them in a fridge so I take that with a bag of fruit and annies cheddar bunnies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I bring leftovers most days. But when those aren't available:

Wraps - I like Flat Out brand whole grain wraps stuffed with a dark leafy green (kale, spinach, arugula...) chopped onion, tomato, celery, carrot and/or cucumber and either canned tuna, hummus, baba ganoush, or leftover fish/meat.

Cottage cheese on a bed of dark leaft greens with chopped tomato & black pepper (or berries)

Hummus & apple slices (I absolutely LOVE Fountain of Health brand premade hummus)

Peanut butter with veggie sticks and a piece of fruit.

Cans of low sodium soup (I keep an emergency stash in my desk for days I forget my lunch)
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use them and the kashi frozen meals for days i get behind and need a quick meal. If you read the nutrition facts you can find the specific ones to fit into your macros. Its a ton better then straying to the restaurant.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing everyday at work for lunch and snacks.

My lunch is:

Lunch Wrap, 1 serving 234 calories
    -Sargento - Ultra Thin Swiss Cheese, 1 Slice
    -Dilusso Deli Company - Reduced Sodium Turkey Breast, 2.5 oz
    -Joseph's - Flatbread Honey Wheat Made With Flax and Oat Bran, 1 FlatBread
    -Fresh Spinach, 1 cups
    Breakstone's - 30% Less Sodium 2% Milkfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 c (124g) 90 calories
    Tomato-6 Slices, 1 Medium Slice 60 calories
    Jell-O Kraft - Sugar Free Jello, 1/2 cup 10 calories

Snacks are:
    Carrots & Celery AM snack 30 calories
    Oats and Chocolate fiber 1 bar PM snack 140 calories
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    I stay away from the frozen prepared meals because they are high in sodium and they are never filling enough for me. I wish I had the space and discipline to cook out my lunches. I'm living with family and we have 5 adults sharing the space of one fridge!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    They're okay, but honestly never filling enough for me. When I bring my own lunches in, I end up eating less calories but my tummy's full. Not so with Lean Cousine (or other frozen lunches)
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know in theory this is bad, but the past two months have been super stressful on me and I've been relying on lean cuisines rather than trying to cook anything. A lot of times I eat one for lunch and one for dinner. At dinner I heat up veggies and add those in. I've lost 15lbs and I'm at goal weight and feeling pretty good. In the past I dealt with stress by over eating. This is definitely an improvement.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    There are a couple flavors that I've found that I actually really like. I keep them on hand at home for "emergencies" ie: the rest of the fam is ordering pizza for dinner.

The ones that I enjoy all happen to be Healthy Choice brand, but same idea.

ETA: I almost always add steamed (or frozen) broccoli to bulk it up!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Just like any bad thing, it won't hurt to splurge on one once in a while but everyday... no way.