Why is it cheaper to eat unhealthfully...

Options

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My family is greek so we eat a lot of Lamb. My parents bought a lamb from a local farm, it was about 200 bucks, enough meat for the entire year. Since most lamb comes from New Zealand and is quite expensive in the store, it was a lot cheaper going this route and we supported our local farm.

:gasp: !!!! I'm jealous. I'm still looking for somewhere close by that has lamb (not to mention remembering to do so when it's "in season"). I love me some lamb when I can find it, though. nomnomnom

Dragonwolf how about 15 miles away?? http://www.jorgensen-farms.com/

:love: I love you!

Granted, I hadn't been looking very hard (while it's one of those things of "I should find a place that has good lamb," it hasn't been the high priority things, you know?), so it's no surprise I missed it, and yeah, I know you probably took all of 30 seconds on Google, but this is even better than I expected! Honey, herbs, lamb, wool.... *drools*

I'm glad to help! I'm all about supporting local businesses.
  • Deanadet
    Deanadet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. "Junk" is cheap. "Food" will nourish you. I can buy junk jewelry, junk clothing, a junk car, and junk furniture that will never quite do the trick, OR get myself something that I'll enjoy and will last for a long time. Too often I've settled for a quick fix and ended up paying more in the end as I've ended up not being satisfied. Same goes for junk food.... you're not satisfied so end up just spending more and more. Choose quality. You're worth the investment!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I find it SOOOOO much cheaper to prepare meals at home. AND! My food has a LOT less fat, sodium and carbs. You have to look at the portion price vs. the grocery bill. A bag of groceries can make a lot more meals than a bag of fast food. I can feed my family of 5 (3 teenagers) dinner for $10. Lunch is probably under $3/kid. I think I could even feed my family organic food for less than what take out for 5 would cost.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The OP's logic is flawed. For the price of a 1/4 lb cheeseburger meal at McDonalds, one can buy 1/2 lb ground round, 1/2 lb low fat cheese, and a bag of buns. Potatoes are dirt cheap. If you go all out and buy enough for 8 meals, the cost per meal is far less than the cost of the McDonalds meal, and the ingredients are a higher grade.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier can be cheaper and more tasty than fast food. The problem is that it sometimes isn't "fast". Yeah..you can grab a protein bar, those are pretty healthy, and fast....but not cheap. When I'm talking about healthy food, I mean you're just going to have to do some actual cooking, some serious meal planning, and try some new foods. This makes it not even close to as easy as grabbing a Mickey D burger....but better for you, and more satisfying too. Nothing wrong with an .occasional fast food burger. But you can't do that every day and be eating healthy OR saving money.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier can be cheaper and more tasty than fast food. The problem is that it sometimes isn't "fast". Yeah..you can grab a protein bar, those are pretty healthy, and fast....but not cheap. When I'm talking about healthy food, I mean you're just going to have to do some actual cooking, some serious meal planning, and try some new foods. This makes it not even close to as easy as grabbing a Mickey D burger....but better for you, and more satisfying too. Nothing wrong with an .occasional fast food burger. But you can't do that every day and be eating healthy OR saving money.

That reminds me of the "service triangle" that is common in my industry. It's something along the lines of you have three things that are in balance in a project - quality, speed (of completion), and price. If one goes up, one or both of the other two must go down to compensate.

In the case of eating healthy, you have pretty much the same thing. If you want super low prices, you're going to pay for it either in time (you have to spend the time to make things), and/or in quality (Walmart 75% lean ground beef from a CAFO, instead of Trader Joe's organic 93% lean ground beef), or you can pay more to have it super fast, but it's still low quality (ie - McDonald's).

It's all about balancing the three to get the best for whatever compromises you're willing or have to make.
  • TrixieMarie
    Options
  • jshort152
    Options
    idk about you but paying 1 dollar for less than a fourth of a pound of meat.. or for 2.60 buy a whole pound of meat... fries are 1 dollar as well.. a months supply of brown rice or even white rice is about 2 dollars.. Its convenience over cost, if you look at it it is much cheaper to make meals at home.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is simply not cheaper to eat unhealthy food.
    To prove a point, from my local grocery store:

1/2 gallon of Skim Plus - $3
    Gallon of Whole Milk - $3.99

loaf of 100% whole grain bread (Arnold's) - $4.49
    loaf of white bread - $1.99

Any reasonable person would just buy the cheaper version of those products, as the variation in nutrition is minimal and not worth the price differential. What should be compared instead is the price and nutritional value of a meal made from scratch versus prepackaged/takeaway food.

If you make all your meals from scratch, they work out significantly cheaper than unhealthy food!

What I do every Saturday morning is work out every meal I'm going to eat for the week. Then I go to the market (great quality and half the price of a supermarket) and buy all the raw ingredients to make those meals. I normally spend about AUD$100 which gives my wife and I 6 dinners and 6 lunches for the week (and the buying power in Australia is a lot less than the US). For example, minestrone soup is a regular at our table; it's really tasty, nutritious and it costs about $5 to make 6 serves!

If I bought a takeaway meal for my wife and I here, it would cost $25 for one meal and I'd be hungry in an hour.

Ok, you eat white bread and drink whole milk everyday and we'll see who loses weight.

I eat white bread and drink whole milk.
    And I am lean and fit

your point?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The OP's logic is flawed. For the price of a 1/4 lb cheeseburger meal at McDonalds, one can buy 1/2 lb ground round, 1/2 lb low fat cheese, and a bag of buns. Potatoes are dirt cheap. If you go all out and buy enough for 8 meals, the cost per meal is far less than the cost of the McDonalds meal, and the ingredients are a higher grade.

I'm not sure where you shop, but I cannot buy all that food for the cost of a cheeseburger meal at McDonalds.

Besides, you missed the OP's point. It's more than just about McDonalds. It's the fact that a bag of apples costs more than a bag of chips. A pound of lean meat costs more than a pound of non-lean meat. The healthier versions of foods, in general, do cost more.

Of course there are ways to plan and shop to keep the costs down. But for someone who has never done this, when you only have 30 minutes to get the grocery shopping done, it's cheaper to buy chef boyardee than it is to buy the meat, flour, tomotoes, etc. needed to make ravioli.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options

75% lean Ground beef (value size pack) - $3.89/lb
    93% lean Ground beef (not available in a value pack size) - $5.79/lb

These are way more than a 30 cent difference. Again, this has nothing to do with the costs of long term health, etc.
    I am just comparing apples to apples here, and the price differences are very obvious. But yet people keep saying this isn't true. Maybe it isn't true for you if you have access to farms and who knows what, but for many people, this is reality.

This annoyed me, mainly because I have never seen skim milk cost more per GALLON than whole. In fact it is usually less, and 2-1/2 gallons of anything almost always cost more than 1 whole SOOOOO from my local grocery store...lets compare apples to apples so to speak:

1 gallon Milk:
    Skim $2.42
    1% $2.49
    2% $2.64
    Whole $2.58

1/2 gallon Milk
    Skim 2/$3 (sale)
    1% 2/$3 (sale)
    2% 2/$3 (sale)
    Whole 2/$3 (sale)
    Soy (store brand) $2.39
    Almond (store brand) $2.49

Bread:
    Cheap white sandwich bread $1.15
    Cheap wheat sandwich bread $1.15
    Country white bread (Natures Pride)- $2.89 (plus on sale this week Buy one get one free!)
    Whole wheat bread (Natures Pride)- $2.89 (Same Sale)
    Store brand version of Natures Pride (all types) $2.49 (but not on sale this week)

73% lean Ground beef - $2.99/lb
    93% lean Ground beef - $4.99/lb
    (BUT you are getting 20% more meat (because of the fat), so the price difference is about $1.50 not $2 /lb)
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I visited America I found that grocery stores overcharge by a lot. $1.50 for a single green pepper? Yeah, ok, I got a 4-pack for $1.29 at home (Canada) yesterday! :grumble:

Try a farmer's market. You'll have to shop on pre-scheduled days, but you'll actually pay reasonable prices for good, wholesome food.

Thank you!! It's freaking ridiculous!

I guess it depends where you shop. I've never, in my life, seen a single green pepper priced that high.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    It is aggravating to know that is accurate. What we pay in "cheap" food because its affordable to most comes out of the healthcare costs later....
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Basically fast food is pumped full of chemicals to make them last longer. It has a longer shelf life then fresh fruit and veg. Plus its mass produced by machines. The cheapest option is not always the best. However i have learned that growing my own fruit and veggies has many benefits. My kiddos enjoy getting involved, it is actually way cheaper, Looking after them with basic gardening duties also burns calories. Not to mentions its quite satisfying to sit and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's actually much much much cheaper to eat wholesome healthy foods. It will just take you a While to figure it out. It seems like a learning curve everyone has to go through.

^^^This! I spend way less at the market than I used to when I was buying junk food and prepackaged items.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First off...im not sure that "unhealthfully" is a word...but, as the subject states: Why is it so much cheaper to eat crap than it is to buy healthy foods and prepare them yourself? You can go to McDonalds and buy a cheeseburger and fries for a lot cheaper than going to the grocery store and buying foods to make a meal. It just aggravates me...

You just need to learn how to make simply meals and how to stretch it out. If you do so it can become cheaper then fast food.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where you shop, but I cannot buy all that food for the cost of a cheeseburger meal at McDonalds.

Besides, you missed the OP's point. It's more than just about McDonalds. It's the fact that a bag of apples costs more than a bag of chips. A pound of lean meat costs more than a pound of non-lean meat. The healthier versions of foods, in general, do cost more.

Of course there are ways to plan and shop to keep the costs down. But for someone who has never done this, when you only have 30 minutes to get the grocery shopping done, it's cheaper to buy chef boyardee than it is to buy the meat, flour, tomotoes, etc. needed to make ravioli.

Chef boyardee isnt that bad of a food besides the sodium content. Just have some veggies with it and you have a balance meal.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Bumping to read later.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's actually not cheaper to eat at McDonalds, it's only more convenient. If you're a family of 4, you could order off the 99 cent menu with everyone getting a coke, hamburger and fries - $3.00 a piece x 4 people = $12 for one meal feeds everyone. Take the same $12 and buy a bag of potatos, milk, onions, celery, cheese and chicken bullion and make potato soup. That potato soup, which is filling and satisfying, is much healthier than the hamburgers and fries and will feed the same family of 4 not just for one meal, but for two or possibly even three.

Add in the collateral damage to health due to long term consumption of junk food and you begin to see that fast food is not cheap at all, just easy.
  • rebeccalray5
    Options

75% lean Ground beef (value size pack) - $3.89/lb
    93% lean Ground beef (not available in a value pack size) - $5.79/lb

These are way more than a 30 cent difference. Again, this has nothing to do with the costs of long term health, etc.
    I am just comparing apples to apples here, and the price differences are very obvious. But yet people keep saying this isn't true. Maybe it isn't true for you if you have access to farms and who knows what, but for many people, this is reality.

This annoyed me, mainly because I have never seen skim milk cost more per GALLON than whole. In fact it is usually less, and 2-1/2 gallons of anything almost always cost more than 1 whole SOOOOO from my local grocery store...lets compare apples to apples so to speak:

1 gallon Milk:
    Skim $2.42
    1% $2.49
    2% $2.64
    Whole $2.58

1/2 gallon Milk
    Skim 2/$3 (sale)
    1% 2/$3 (sale)
    2% 2/$3 (sale)
    Whole 2/$3 (sale)
    Soy (store brand) $2.39
    Almond (store brand) $2.49

Bread:
    Cheap white sandwich bread $1.15
    Cheap wheat sandwich bread $1.15
    Country white bread (Natures Pride)- $2.89 (plus on sale this week Buy one get one free!)
    Whole wheat bread (Natures Pride)- $2.89 (Same Sale)
    Store brand version of Natures Pride (all types) $2.49 (but not on sale this week)

73% lean Ground beef - $2.99/lb
    93% lean Ground beef - $4.99/lb
    (BUT you are getting 20% more meat (because of the fat), so the price difference is about $1.50 not $2 /lb)

Where do you live! I haven't seen milk under $3 on sale in years and bread isn't under $2 here. You may want to find out the area of the original poster because obviously it matters.

Now, I don't buy fast food anymore. I hate that a bag of apples and oranges is $6.99 (that was yesterday!). But I try to buy as little processed as possible. I use coupons, sometimes the farmers market and my church has fresh veggies donated sometimes. Luckily, my mother has a good sized garden:)