I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I have had someone say that ice cream is good for you since it contains milk. Same person also said a Wendy's hamburger is good because you cover several food groups (meat, vegetables - lettuce and tomato, bread, dairy - cheese). sadly misinformed.

I had an ex that would vehemently argue that McDonald's Big Macs were healthy because it had all four food groups....

UGH
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    To be fair to your coworker, you could do a lot worse at McDonald's than the 380 calorie Filet-o-Fish!

THIS. If I go to McDonald's I'll get one ONLY because it's less caloric and has less fat than the burgers and chicken sandwiches.

That being said, I try to stay away from them altogether.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My mother in law said that her pediatrician supposedly told her that my DH was getting a balanced diet when he was a toddler and refused to eat anything but peanut butter and jelly because hey, you get fruit from the jelly, fat from the peanut butter and the bread is grains. Nothing against PB&J, but a sandwich of PB&J is not a balanced diet.

My mother thinks that hot dogs with macaroni and cheese and canned corn is a balanced meal and that a meal consisting of fresh fruit, cheese and Triscuits is not enough food. She never knew any better when I was younger and still doesn't, but she did manage to lose 70+ lbs and keep it off for over 10 years now through simply counting calories.

As for kids never having reduced fat stuff, I don't necessarily agree. My children get RF sour cream and oldest DD gets 1% milk, the same as we have. She also gets fat free yogurts and has since she was a toddler. Our children get plenty of fats (including saturated) from full fat cheese products (we've gone through almost 2 lbs in the past 2 weeks), meats, nuts and nut butters, and added oils. I think it's fine to introduce RF products as long as their diet is balanced and they are getting plenty of healthy fats.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The majority of people have no idea how many calories they need, or how many calories are in most regular food... They r totally clueless, but then so was I until last may when I found this place!
    Weren't we all! MFP taught so many of us what "healthy" truly means.

I find it sad yet strangely amusing at the same time, when I see posts about how awful friends, family, co-workers etc. are eating when so many of us where once at that very same spot. How quickly we've forgotten that we once were ignorant in the same way.

Cheers for the poster - TavistockToad - for posting her thoughts on the matter!:drinker:
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I hope they asked your opinion on it. If you would have spouted off healthier foods to me without me asking your opinion I would have thrown my sandwich at you (then grabbed it and ate it within the 5 second rule).
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My bosses at work think if it is a salad, it's healthy.

One in particular stated the other day that the pizza he was eating (and he ate the entire thing) was healthy because it had chicken on it.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    To be fair to your coworker, you could do a lot worse at McDonald's than the 380 calorie Filet-o-Fish!
    I agree,
    Maybe her/his normal is a Big Mac meal so in comparison it is healthier.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Why I don't eat fast food:

fastfood.jpg

That is too true!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda. Eff that *kitten*.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I am also amazed at what I used to eat thinking it was healthy, when either it really wasnt or the portion size was wayy over what it should have been.
    We have all been there, thank goodness for MFP and self research otherwise I wouldn't have known either.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I attended High School in New York City. When I was in 10th grade we were told that we could only eat school lunch. By the time we made it to 11th grade we were allowed to eat out at the local restaurants, McDonalds was across the street. Man they went nuts! I couldn't afford it and they ate McDonalds daily. Now on facebook you can see that it has taken a toll on them.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.

My mom has this issues with kids but as a licensed day care professional, she has standards that she has to follow and proper portion sizes and certain foods have to be served. She has to offer at least one fruit or one veggie per meal. They don't have to eat it, but if they don't at least try it, they can't have more of whatever else is being served. They also can't have more than seconds...so like if she serves pizza, they can't have more than 1/8th of the pizza...but she cuts it into 16ths and serves it that way and if they finish their food, she can give them one additional slice or more veggies or fruit or whatever.

I probably would have been similar to that thinking before learning about nutrition myself but I am determined to keep my kids away from as much junk and fast food as possible and will teach them about serving sizes and how to read nutrition labels.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    oh I love it when I see people make this great healthful salad, then top it with croutons, bacon and about a cup of dressing
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I was going to lunch with my 'perpetually dieting but never loses weight friend' and she didn't want to get a turkey sandwich from the deli because she's on a diet (I'll usually get turkey, whole wheat, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard). So we went to the food court (?!?!) and I order Taco Bell off the fresco menu (while still dreaming of my delicious turkey sandwich) and she went to KFC and got fried chicken, caeser salad and garlic butter bread sticks.....and she thought this was a healthy choice!!!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Avoiding McDonald's completely is probably one of the most healthy things you can do! People that think they are dieting because they eat salads! Leave it to us Americans to turn a salad into junk food! Just because it has lettuce in it doesn't make it healthy people!! It is super easy to turn a salad into a 1000+ calorie entree! :noway:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My (ex)boyfriend thought that Jimmy John's qualified as healthy food. Like, when he went there, it was because he was being healthy. Too bad he put half a couple of mayo on it.

JJ's can be kind of healthy if you don't smother it in mayo, but he wasn't doing it right.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!

The commercial lauds it as a healthy way to have an energetic day. Wholesome milk, hazelnuts, cocoa.... No mention of sugar. People see the commercial but don't think to read the label. Uh... How do you think it gets sweet? Wasn't the hazelnuts. Lol

I hate the commercial. Love nutella. I can't keep it in the house.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.

wow...this is sad and quite disturbing :(
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Just for another perspective:

My husband worked in day care for a while. One of his students had a genetic disorder that required her to eat high-protein, high-fat (read grease) foods on a regular basis to avoid severe illness. Every day she had pizza, burgers, greasy nasty bad food.

But for her, it WAS healthy. She was wiry, tiny, energetic... but only on that diet.

It's good to help people make better choices, but sometimes we don't know what the better choice is for that person. Offer help carefully. Just because we've learned a lot about our bodies doesn't mean we understand what's going on with anyone else.