40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    I got a lifting session in, today. So, that means I'm back!!

(It wasn't the hardest lifting session I've ever done....but, I also didn't want the major DOMS to kick-in, either!)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hey Beeps - welcome back! Glad to hear your vacation was a good one.

The Tough Mudder was fantastic! I loved it. Had so much fun. Had a great team, great weather, which all helped to make it a perfect day. Would definitely do it again. My profile picture is after crawling in the mud under live wires and then climbing over the rope wall. I did do all the obstacles...was not successful on the rings or monkey bars, but I did give them a try.:happy:

So, back at it now. I'm going to pull out the NROLFW and see what I can do with it. :tongue:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    LOVE THAT PIC, sdereski! Awesome! NROL4W will TOTALLY get you through the ring/monkey bar hurdle. 100%

I'm off to see personal trainer, today. I just told him to design an awesome work-out....and that is that!

Tomorrow I'm finishing off my last Stage 7 work-out of NROL4W and then I think I'm going to hit NROL4Abs starting on Monday!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can I join the Cool Kids?

I am 45 and have lost 71lbs, not all with MFP.

I really want to start lifting heavy but I don't know where to start. I have signed up for the next induction at my local cross-fit but I am not sure when that will be and they wont take you unless you have done the foundation month. I am broke so can't afford a normal gym membership and am far too scared of injury to do it from a book.

I haven't been doing much excercise for ages because I have a medical condition that causes my sight to go really blurred in one eye when my heart rate goes up (this sounds really weird evento me and I live with it lol!).

Anyway I NEED to start walking at least and then I will definitely be a cool kid!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Of course you can join!

I'm going to highly recommend New Rules of LIfting for Women, by Lou Schuler. The book is probably $12 on amazon - free at your local library!

There is a "NROL4W" group here on mfp and TONS of the women who are doing this are doing it from home. So, it can be done. And, it can be done without injury.
  • ElleBee66
    Options
    Thank you very much Beep2011. I have bought it on Amazon - I don't think it will be available in my library in Ireland!

Can't wait to get it - sadly it is going to take 18 - 30 working days! (it wasn't available on the British site).

Never mind, I will start walking and see how I do when it gets here. And thanks for the group recommendation.

Lucinda
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    40 is the new 20! Best of luck everyone on your fitness goals.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never get to sit with the cool kids. I'm going to take my 42 y.o. Butt to the table by the lunch ladies. :(
  • sdereski
    Options
    welcome actionfigure and KALMdown...you are definitley cool kids around here. :happy:
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    Thank you, thank you very much.

ahhh . . . . I'm cool again.
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46 this month and working toward being fit. I am new to myfitnesspal, really any type of fitness forum. It's very inspirational to read so many stories of people working toward better health.

My goal is to move 45 minutes each day doing cardio and 10-15 minutes of strength training 3-4 times per week. I worked with a trainer for a few weeks and learned how to properly do some exercises and she helped me develop several routines that meet my goal and fit into my schedule. In addition to tracking exercise, I have found I hold myself accountable with the food tracker. Somedays I eat too much and other days not enough. This site is very helpful to maintain and make changes.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Kris
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and would like to join you cool kids! Currently i take Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do), and workout at home. I started logging here at 245 lbs, but want to get down to 185 New Years Eve morning. My long-term goal is to not be the guy with the big appetitie, or "Big Dom" as some people have called me, and to keep this weight off for a LONG time!

So PLEASE let me know if i have been accepted in this distinguished group! That would be great! :happy:
  • ElleBee66
    Options
    My new rules of lifting has just been dispatched YAY - Estimated delivery date October 11! What is it doing, swimming the Atlantic?

Still I am excited to get it - hoping you all have a great day. Rain, rain, rain here in Ireland...:sad:
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone. Its been awhile. Mom has returned home (after 90 days) and I am getting my house and life back in order. It took just a week to see parts of my house again. Soccer season has begun so my exercise routines have increased. Hope everyone had a great summer.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome back, Lady! Glad to read you are able to get more exercise in - that is soooooooooooo important in stress-management and sleeping well!

I did get my cardio in on Saturday, and ate a little under my calories. Yesterday, I ended up at the movies with my kids, so had a big ol' tub of popcorn....sure I ate MORE than my calories, yesterday!

That's okay.

The next 2-week challenge, for myself, I am going to:

1. <100g of carbs;
    2. get 3 x lifting sessions in each week; and
    3. no late-night snacking.

That will keep me on track.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome to the new cool kids. There is ALWAYS room for more cool kids. :happy:

LadyPersia, nice to see you back! Glad to hear you are adjusting again with having your mom back. I look forward to hearing your plans for your yard this hallowe'en.

Had a great weekend. Woke up Saturday feeling so much better, despite my sleepless night. Did a P90X legs&back, and ab ripper workout and then took my granddaughter for a good walk. It was a beautiful, hot summer day. Stopped at the beach to cool our feet off and then carried on. It was such a treat for me to spend that one-one time with her.

Sunday woke up to rain, so had a lazy morning reading. Once the skies cleared, a small group of us went for a 2.5 hr bike ride. Was perfect - not too windy. Then, my friends invited me for dinner. Life is grand. :happy:

The work week was off to a rocky start - slept in and late for my meeting. Had a staff member inform me she was quitting. :sad: UGH! We just get these nurses trained and running some of our programs and then they leave for more $$! :grumble: Frustrating, but I get it. Because we are publicly funded, I can only offer so much, and it is no where near what other agencies can offer...but that's a whole other HUGE issue. :grumble:
    Hoping my run will work out some of this frazzle. :laugh:

Hope everyone has a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Your weekend sounds AWESOME, sdereski! Simply awesome. Yes, in publicly-funded institutions, job-turn-over is a big problem....but, also a big opportunity - because you get to meet so many great people!

I got my lifting session in. First work-out of NROL4Abs....my triceps (of all things!) are screaming!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm a cool kid !!!! Will be 49 in December. WOW just did make it.:laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hello cool kids!!

I am focusing on my nutrition piece very closely over the next 2 months....so, am not as worried about getting in my cardio. But, will get my lifting in. (And one day of cardio on Saturdays.)

If I work really hard on my nutrition piece (i.e. calorie reduction), I just don't have the energy for all the exercise!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and my daugther says I'm th ecoolest person she know's cos' i DJ in the cool clubs and play the coolest music.... she says