Weird thing happened while jogging

Options

Replies

• ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    News story today where a girl was abducted 2 years ago and just escaped to tell about it:

http://news.yahoo.com/prosecutor-teen-held-captive-deplorable-home-131044592.html
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Are you okay, OP? That must have been so scary...
    I guess I was not accepting what happened... I'll be fine.... it just seems so unreal!

I was assualted once and didn't report it right away. I was in total shock. It took several people telling me to report it to do so; I understand why you waited. I wish I had reported it right away because I felt victimized by the police dept trying to report it later in the day but it sounds like you had a much easier time with the police.
    they said that I should have reported it sooner... but "in shock" is kinda how I felt too!

If nothing like this has ever happened to you, it's very easy to say you should have reported it right away. Looking back, I wish I had but at the time, I wasn't really thinking straight. I went into auto-pilot mode.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    And this is why I run with a gun!
  • Inge039
    Inge039 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YES! What if they were planning on grabbing you and now will try for another person or child? Report it.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If this is an actual real post then yes, you most definitely should report it. Do it NOW before you forget the make, model, description of the person crouching in the back etc.

And why on earth would you come to a public forum to ask whether or not you should report something like that? Do you honestly think that it was no big deal?!
    well, It was the middle of the day, in a rich small town... I AM planning on reporting it, could there be ANY non creepy explanation for that....?

So abductions only happen in the middle of the night to poor people who live in the city?:huh:

Well, if you think it's ok because someone said it wasn't a big deal then don't report it.

I personally would have reported it because it's just way too creepy and weird.

In 1993 I was abducted at 11:15 in the morning in the middle of the downtown bus depot in front of plenty of witnesses. No one did a smeggin' thing. Don't be like that. Report it right away.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    OMG most def report it. What if they try again and kidnap someones kid?? Tell the police everything you can remember, and go home and be thankful for your life, friends and family. And HUG YOUR MOM... xx
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Looks like it's time to start jogging with the over-the-should shotgun sling. Tactical joggers are even harder to kidnap than fat ones.

Sling_MTS_Shotgun_lg.jpg

At the very least carry some good pepper spray. Maybe they were just trying to be funny but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared in case the Free Candy van comes back.

ok... what if I got a Doberman...? so I don't look "available "
  • als2505
    als2505 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should definitely report it! I was out the other day and had some guy on a dirt bike flash me and I ran like hell then reported it. You never know what might've happened had that other car not come by and reporting it could keep something bad from happening to someone else.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You should definitely report it! I was out the other day and had some guy on a dirt bike flash me and I ran like hell then reported it. You never know what might've happened had that other car not come by and reporting it could keep something bad from happening to someone else.

OMG, ewwwww. PERV. Did you vomit?? I would have ...
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OMG YES, even if you do not have specific information (license plates number ,make & year of van).... still report, that way the police will be aware of what is going on in your community. Unfortunately, they will probably move on to the next lone runner, young girl, or vulnerable old lady. Reporting this could save the next person......

It is sooooo important to have a running buddy....safety in numbers. I live in a pretty rough neighborhood so I rarely run alone, if I do, I make sure it is DAYTIME and someone knows I am out, where I am running and how long I plan to be.....If I don't come back, they need to send the police looking for me! Otherwise, I run with others, on a populated track or on my own treadmill in the safety of my home!
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    If this isn't made up, do you really have to ask?????? Common sense = YES!!!!!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Jog with your smart phone. If something like this occurs start snapping pics with auto upload to face book so there is some record of what will possibly happen. They should not mind the pictures being taken if they are not up to something sinister. LP# also is helpful
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Also its a good time to work on your sprinting!!
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Like, literally my heart is pumping so hard just reading about that. That is terrifying.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, and please be careful. You might want to change your jogging route!
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    If this is an actual real post then yes, you most definitely should report it. Do it NOW before you forget the make, model, description of the person crouching in the back etc.

And why on earth would you come to a public forum to ask whether or not you should report something like that? Do you honestly think that it was no big deal?!
    well, It was the middle of the day, in a rich small town... I AM planning on reporting it, could there be ANY non creepy explanation for that....?

So abductions only happen in the middle of the night to poor people who live in the city?:huh:

Well, if you think it's ok because someone said it wasn't a big deal then don't report it.

I personally would have reported it because it's just way too creepy and weird.

Seriously? The girl just missed being abducted. Give her a break.
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, as I read the previous post, just becasue it is a wealthy neighborhood, it does not mean, perverts,kidnappers, thieves and rapist do not frequent the area.... Sometimes I travel a few milesfrom my home and run a track in a pretty well off community, one morning there was a van parked outside of the track, and a man sitting and watching the women run by. It was very creepy, someone pulled out their cell phone and reported it. The police cruised by and basically pushed the man along, I have not seen the van since. If you ask me, if you in the rich part of town, they may think you are rich and you may be a better target to kidnap than it would be trying to kidnap someon in the poorer part of town! Just Sayin'
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ok... what if I got a Doberman...? so I don't look "available "

Appearance is everything. Most scum-bags are lazy @ss people which is why they resort to theft and petty crime instead of doing things honestly. If a target looks like it might have some difficulty for them they typically won't take the risk. Run with a dog, run with a fake gun that you can pull out if you don't want/have a real one. If there's any doubt in their mind they'll bail and run for cover. These kinds of people aren't brave heroes.

Jog in a N.R.A T-shirt. :laugh:
  • iRebel
    Options
    Also its a good time to work on your sprinting!!
    yes! I sprinted So hard. it was near the end of my run, too! my breaths were coming in shaky gasps.
  • iRebel
    Options
    So scary! Something like that happened to me once, except the guy got out and started chasing me while the car followed. I ran across the street when there was a break in traffic just to get away from the car. I figured I could out run the guy. Always report stuff like this, you could save someone else! Glad your okay.
    OMG! I would have passed out!! When it happened, I wanted to scream, but I couldn't! then it was over and I was like "WTH just happened?"