Irrational fears

Options
Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I can climb up ladders all day, it is the climbing down part that completely immobilizes me with FEAR!

I feel like at any given moment the entire ladder is going to give out and I am going to come crashing down. But the climb up does not bother me one bit.
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    I can climb up ladders all day, it is the climbing down part that completely immobilizes me with FEAR!

I feel like at any given moment the entire ladder is going to give out and I am going to come crashing down. But the climb up does not bother me one bit.

I used to have that same issue with trees as a kid.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Tornadoes. There's been some within 50 miles of where I live... But I get freaked out when it's just a little rain storm. I start planning where and how I'm going to hide.. What I need to do first (get dogs, check; get cat, check; grab some water, check). It's terrible.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I am terrified of frogs! I was once trapped outside my house at 11:30 at night because there were 4 frogs sitting on my front doorstep. Luckily my neighbor came home and noticed me outside and shooed them away for me. My husband got a huge laugh about that since he was wondering why I was outside so long. :bigsmile:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I usually have a freak out moment when I get done working out in the morning..."did I remember to pack clean underwear and socks?"

without fail my heart races while I look in the bag. Not forgetten them yet...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

thats my favorite part of them.. I dont even really like the biscuits, but I like opening the can. LOL!!

My Irrational fear is semi-rational... Ive spent years commuting and riding sportbikes. on a sportbike with super sticky tires, you have massive traction in dry pavement... but in cold rain they become ridiculously slick.
    my irrational fear is when i am in a car with someone else in the rain.. I am constantly screaming in my head as we approach a corner that we will slide... I know we wont.. but it messes with my head.
    Strangely, i dont get it when Im the one driving.... and no, I dont express it outward.. no one really knows it. but its still there.
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    I am terrified of frogs! I was once trapped outside my house at 11:30 at night because there were 4 frogs sitting on my front doorstep. Luckily my neighbor came home and noticed me outside and shooed them away for me. My husband got a huge laugh about that since he was wondering why I was outside so long. :bigsmile:

Hahaha now I dont feel as bad that it took us like 20 mins to get the can open.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Thunderstorms...and we get some wicked ones where I live. I have to watch the lightening and count until the thunder hits so I know how far away it is. I plug my ears and close my eyes when the thunder gets to loud for me to handle. My son (who's 10) doesn't normally notice storms, but when he doesn, he comes and checks on me lol
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    The sea!!! so much unknown in there ..Scary as hell.. sharks and jellyfish (I know probably not in the UK) but the worst worst one is whales!! :noway: :embarassed: they are just so... terrifying!!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Deer....I've had a few "run-ins" with deer, but this one particular time when I was in high school scared the heck outa me. I fear that I will one day be killed by a deer that comes through my windshield. If you've seen the movie Haywire with Gina Carrano, there's this part where she hits a deer. Scariest movie EVER because of this one scene!
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    The sea!!! so much unknown in there ..Scary as hell.. sharks and jellyfish (I know probably not in the UK) but the worst worst one is whales!! :noway: :embarassed: they are just so... terrifying!!

Whales? lol
    That is the best part of living near the Great Lakes.. . .feels like the sea but nothing can eat you.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I'd love to share with you... but last time I 'shared' over a blog. Someone posted a picture of it. ='( So I'll keep it to myself. I do have to tell you.. you aren't alone with those cans! I'm the one that gets stuck opening them most of the time =p
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    talking to girls, have a fear of doing it and imagine lots of horrible things and think they basically won't want to know me
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I really hate being stuck in traffic on a bridge so that you feel the bridge shaking and swaying. I always worry it's just going to collapse.

(Yes, I know it needs to flex so it won't collapse, but it really puts me into a panic when i have to sit there bouncing around.)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Cockroaches. And I live in Texas. Not a good combination. One of my prerequisites for a boyfriend is being able to kill them, it would be a deal breaker for me if he couldn't...
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    Lawn/garden gnomes. I hate them. Freakish things that have eyes that follow you everywhere you go. Sends shivers up my spine.

Totally irrational, but it never gets any better!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The shower curtain CANNOT touch me. At all. My husband thought it would be funny to hug me through the curtain and I about lost it. Now he knows my fear and will not do that again.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    This is kinda gross but when I'm driving along the highway and I see something dead lying on the side of the road, I won't breathe until I get way past it. I don't wanna breathe in 'death germs'.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I really hate elevators and when I was a kid and had to ride one my dad and sister would jump up and down in it to freak me out more.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When I was a young girl, I was at the library reading a book about hurricanes with a friend. The cover of the book featured a picture of high tension wires that were completely destroyed and knocked over. I then gained a fear of hurricanes, and whenever I saw high tension wires as a kid I would freak out and scream. This was irrational because A) I live in Chicago, which it is pretty physically impossible to get hit by a hurricane, and B) I thought that the high tension wires ATTRACTED hurricanes so that's why I was scared of them.

Actually, I had a ton of weird fears as a kid. One of them was Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, and the other one was when I heard the Emergency Broadcast System do weekly tests. That fear actually still applies to this day...it just makes me feel like the world is going to end lol.