On birth control? Gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My birthcontrol actually kept me FROM gaining water weight. As soon as I stopped, my weight shot up 5lbs in a week! Now I have to go out of the way to drink even more water than I usually do!
  • mrsdutra07
    Options
    What ever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

I have my own *PERSONAL* beliefs after being on BC for a long time. I know how it affects *MY* body and *MY* mind. I've made decisions for myself and no one else based on the way *I* feel about it. Each person is quite different from one another. It takes all kinds of people to make this world. If we were all the same, the world would be quite boring, no?

Let us all be reminded that just because we have a right to free speach doesn't mean we should always use it, especially on such a hot-button issue.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lot of hate for this one but I know I'm not alone in this thought. I have seen more posts than I can count about wanting to change BC, go off of it or complaining because it "makes" you gain weight. If you have gained 10, 20 even 30 lbs on birth control it is NOT because of the birth control itself. BC can cause you to feel more hungry, have more cravings and simply have less physical energy. IT does not however actually make you gain weight. Estrogren or progesterone are not high weight gain causing hormones, despite what most people seem to think. Yes, a side effect can be some weight gain, some, meaning about 5lbs of excess water weight or weight that is easy to shed. Everyone responds differently to BC but in reality, so many people use it as an excuse for being overweight. So I guess my point is stop using it as an excuse and push yourself. N BC will make you gain more weight than another, yes they all have different side effects but don't let the IDEA that you will gain weight on BC slow you down!

EDIT:
    I've lost 10lbs after starting Depo, which is one of the BC's that people claim is the worst for weight gain!

I have always wonder when people claim birth control is the cause of their weight gain, well where is the line draw when the birth control pills are consider unhealthy from being healthy if they are putting that much weight on you. I'm not on the stuff but if it was the cause to my weight gain (if its to a point of borderline unhealthy) I would stop taking it if I was able too if it wasn't for any other major medical issues its being taken for.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    I agree with you I have lost weight while on the pill, lost almost 50lbs but just recently I have been taken off all bc because it has messed with my motablisum and with that it has caused me to gain most of the 50lbs lost back in about 6 months so for some its not just using it as an excuse for the weight gain. I really wish I had not gained the weight back but I have so now Im starting all over again.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.

What's natural is not always affordable. It is way cheaper to have a regular form of birth control than an actual kid - believe me, I have an 18 month old. Wouldn't trade him for anything in the world... but also can not afford another right now. But Im married - just because I odnt want another mouth to feed right now doesnt mean I shouldn't be able to get down and dirty with my husband. BC is a responsible way to prevent pregancies for a variety of reasons.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    That was my opinion and I DO have a medical degree. Like I said, I agree to disagree with people! That's why we all have opinions, we don't all have the same one.

At 21 years old, at best you have an AS. (Cause guess what? I have a medical degree and work in the field as well.) That doesn't make your opinion any better than anyone else. If you're studying to be a PA, then I highly suggest you study a little harder and get it through your thick skull that different medicines of ANY sort effect differently bodies in different ways. Yes, some people use it as a loaded excuse, but for others, it genuinely effects them in a negative way. You're talking to some people who have been taking birth control longer than you have been alive.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight every time I was on the pill, I also tried different ones...Ugh, it seems like if they didn't mess with my weight or skin they made me crazy emotionally. I really wish I could take them, but the side effects just suck.

Thats what happened to me too

Same here, it made me crazy emotionally as well. It makes me wonder how much research and how safe the stuff really is (I have people in my family its done the same thing too). People would just tell me, try a lower dosage so went on the lowest and it did the same thing and then went from this type or that type so I decided to give up the stuff altogether and haven't looked back. There are other ways to avoid pregnancy that are less chaotic for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was 145lbs. I worked out every morning, ate 1200-1300 calories, and maintained perfectly fine. Then I started Yaz. I didn't eat more. I didn't snack. I maintained my workout schedule. And I gained 30lbs.

When I was 20 I was 120lbs, worked out, maintained my weight, and started Tricyclin. I didn't snack, I didn't eat 3500 calories a day. In fact, I followed my anorexic diet of 300 calories a day intake, working out at least 600 calories a day. There is no possible way to *gain* weight doing this. But I did. I ballooned up 47lbs in 8 months.

Both times, I stopped my OCP and started steadily losing weight after 2-3 months.

My mother has the same thing. She gains like a mo-fo when on hormonal replacement, and goes back to a steady weight post-stopping.

So, your "kind" and "helpful" post is full of it. Until you have at least 10 years or medical schooling for specializing in the endocrine system or women's issues, kindly keep you "truth" as Opinon, and not fact, as it came across as being stated.
    If you think you're gaining weight or having trouble losing weight with the pill you're on, talk to your doctor. He or she may be able to prescribe something different - either a different combination of hormones or a different dose - that affects you differently.
    This is exactly it. Talk to someone who has a medical degree. Best advice out there ;)

That was my opinion and I DO have a medical degree. Like I said, I agree to disagree with people! That's why we all have opinions, we don't all have the same one.

I think you don't understand the difference between a fact and an opinion. You cannot logically disagree with a fact, but you keep trying to do so.

You've insulted a lot of people. Just stop.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Agreed. I do find myself retaining more water these days and that is a side effect of BC.... says so on the package.... but that is not actual weight gain.....Also, prescription drugs that do cause weight gain have to include it in the possible side effects. BC does not cause weight gain. The sooner we stop blaming our BC for our weight gain, the sooner we can get it off or under control.

It IS listed as a possible side effect of BC.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.

As said by other it's a personal choice and people have different circumstances surrounding reasons for taking birth control. For starters, I don't take the pill I have the implant. And secondly, I could never afford to have a child right now so how is wanting to wait until I am in a financially stable enough position to support my children and give them an amazing life wrong? Surely that's better than having a child but not being able to feed or clothe them!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was 145lbs. I worked out every morning, ate 1200-1300 calories, and maintained perfectly fine. Then I started Yaz. I didn't eat more. I didn't snack. I maintained my workout schedule. And I gained 30lbs.

When I was 20 I was 120lbs, worked out, maintained my weight, and started Tricyclin. I didn't snack, I didn't eat 3500 calories a day. In fact, I followed my anorexic diet of 300 calories a day intake, working out at least 600 calories a day. There is no possible way to *gain* weight doing this. But I did. I ballooned up 47lbs in 8 months.

Both times, I stopped my OCP and started steadily losing weight after 2-3 months.

My mother has the same thing. She gains like a mo-fo when on hormonal replacement, and goes back to a steady weight post-stopping.

So, your "kind" and "helpful" post is full of it. Until you have at least 10 years or medical schooling for specializing in the endocrine system or women's issues, kindly keep you "truth" as Opinon, and not fact, as it came across as being stated.
    If you think you're gaining weight or having trouble losing weight with the pill you're on, talk to your doctor. He or she may be able to prescribe something different - either a different combination of hormones or a different dose - that affects you differently.
    This is exactly it. Talk to someone who has a medical degree. Best advice out there ;)

And I'll quote myself...

I did not say "a medical degree". I said "Until you have at least 10 years or medical schooling for specializing ..."

It's already been pointed out, however, that at 21, you don't have the qualifications I requested. A lab tech assistance is not necessary qualifications to be handing out medical advice and telling people that what their own physicians have told them is incorrect.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    BC pills are just like every other mediciation; they have their pro's and con's which varies from person to person. I didnt hav issues with weight when I was on it. What I did experience was worse. After almost a year on Yazmine after having my daughter, I ended up on the cardiac floor of Yale hospital. BC does not work for me!!
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options

I love sex and dislike children so...no.

Agreed, sex is great...kids suck. :)
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    I did add about 5 lbs. when I first started oral BC, but now that I am off the pill, I lost those very 5 lb. without any effort. I totally agree with you but in my experience the pill does account for a small weight gain at the beginning. A friend of mine was on the shot and at first lost, and then about 4-5 weeks later gained, 10 lbs. I never used the shot BC so I wouldn't know what happened there.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

So is overeating. So is taking inhalers, allergy medication, wearing glasses, and using insulin and blood pressure medication. Seriously.

Oh and taking insulin...also against the course of nature. I really should be weeded out. LoL

I actually had someone tell me that once...that if God meant for me to be healed, I would be and I should just go off of insulin...

I'm sure that would work out SO well.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I did add about 5 lbs. when I first started oral BC, but now that I am off the pill, I lost those very 5 lb. without any effort. I totally agree with you but in my experience the pill does account for a small weight gain at the beginning. A friend of mine was on the shot and at first lost, and then about 4-5 weeks later gained, 10 lbs. I never used the shot BC so I wouldn't know what happened there.
    That has been my unfortunate experience as well. I gained 5-10 lbs when I started the pill and haven't been able to take it off. I'm sure it would come off if I got off the pill but...Until he gets...*snip snip* I have to stay on it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I, for one hate all pills but I either have to use these for my skin or it goes back to the terrible way it was before. No, thankyou.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Depo made me gain weight only because I became lazy and depressed. I'm still on it but when I started working out, I started losing weight.

Other birth controls like the pill made me lose weight when I first went on it but they aren't as reliable and not great for my insane cramps
  • rml_16
    Options

So is overeating. So is taking inhalers, allergy medication, wearing glasses, and using insulin and blood pressure medication. Seriously.

Oh and taking insulin...also against the course of nature. I really should be weeded out. LoL

I actually had someone tell me that once...that if God meant for me to be healed, I would be and I should just go off of insulin...

I'm sure that would work out SO well.

Do these people even think? I mean, if God is responsible for everything, perhaps he made treating illness possible. Maybe? Possibly?

I just SMH at them and move on with my life.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options

I've had back to back pregnancies and hubby and I live in a 1 br....We are planning on having more kids but we can't right now so we have to be on birth control (P.S. I'm allergic to latex so that's why no condoms)