Calories burned riding a MOTORCYCLE...

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    All I need is someone to suggest wearing an HRM while riding and this will be my most favoritiest mfp thread EVAH
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to judge if this is accurate would be to wear you HRM while riding to get an accurate calorie burn.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to judge if this is accurate would be to wear you HRM while riding to get an accurate calorie burn.

That wouldn't work. An HRM needs the heartrate to get above 90bpm in order to get the calorie burn total.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

That wouldn't work. An HRM needs the heartrate to get above 90bpm in order to get the calorie burn total.

When your going 165 on the freeway, trust me your heart rate is above 90 even if your riding b*tch
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't ride, but this thread (as any that has people calculating calories burned for seemingly everyday kind of things), made me go take a look at my BodyMedia Fit readouts for the couple of days I rode around Waikiki/Honolulu on a rental. Now, this included in the downtown Waikiki area in the normal daily traffic, along stretches of expressways and out of the main city, on regular streets, but with far less traffic.

And in comparing the hours that I know I was on the bike vs the hours I know I was walking, I had only slightly less of a caloric burn while on the bike than while walking.

But I would guess that hours upon hours on a freeway without a lot of lane movement, stop lights, other traffic, etc. would probably drop it even lower. And there were definite dips in the burn, down to just barely above sitting on my couch kind of levels, which I would guess were stop lights or stop signs throughout the cities.

And I know that people sometimes report weird BMF readings while in cars due to bumps in the road and things like that, but I've never experienced anything like that with mine (I make a lot of road trips between Northern and Southern CA throughout each year and it always records me like I was sitting on my couch for that time - save for the occasional air drum solo) so I wouldn't count that as too large of a error factor.

TL:DR version - riding a motorcycle could probably be recorded with a caloric burn similar to whatever you'd burn during a leisurely walk, but not more than that.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Now come on tobnrn, You know there ain't no dog can run that fast. :wink:
  • Di3012
    Options

When your going 165 on the freeway, trust me your heart rate is above 90 even if your riding b*tch

but you are not moving about are you.......

Look, for burn calories that will be of any use to aid in your fitness, weightloss etc etc you need to move about.

Sitting on a motorbike (I had one myself when I was 18 and my boyfriend at the time had one too), does not substitute the good old calories burns that are gained from walking, running, weights, swimming and all those things that people seem so desperate to get out of and will find many an excuse, namely "Riding my motorcycle burns several hundred calories" (oh goodie that means I don't have to bother with any actual physical workout).
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Lighten up, y'all ! Riding is fun! And there are way too few adults in this world who still have fun.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Look, for burn calories that will be of any use to aid in your fitness, weightloss etc etc you need to move about.

Sitting on a motorbike (I had one myself when I was 18 and my boyfriend at the time had one too), does not substitute the good old calories burns that are gained from walking, running, weights, swimming and all those things that people seem so desperate to get out of and will find many an excuse, namely "Riding my motorcycle burns several hundred calories" (oh goodie that means I don't have to bother with any actual physical workout).
    Ever hear of NEAT?
  • Di3012
    Options

Ever hear of NEAT?

No, does it involve moving about though? :o)
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Riders know. Others just can't understand if they haven't done it. I ride a 650 dual sport, old guy but dirt riding burns my energy. It's like explaining what it's like to be a guy to my wife. She might understand the words I am saying but it's like me saying I "get childbirth". No I don't. I understand it, work in healthcare and have helped with multiple births, but I can't "get it". It's OK. Riders get it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Riders know. Others just can't understand if they haven't done it. ..... It's OK. Riders get it.

LOL - definitely!!

btw - I'm a 55 yr old woman, and I ride a Suzuki Intruder 1500cc.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is a function of HR. The types of riding that induce a sustained increase in HR include off road and road racing so if you're doing those, I'd say that you're burning extra cals. Other than that, the calorie expenditure is buried in the noise with BMR.

I've lost weight once (12/10 to 7/11) and in that time, I did 4 rides that were 1000 miles in a day, and one ride of 1500 miles in a day.

The SPOT tracks of my rides are here:
    1/1/11 http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=245b4d1bbb7a53262
    3/20/11 http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=28004d83e022c538e
    5/21/11 http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2d164dd718c2051e1

6/21/11 http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=30964dff61be266f9
    821/11 http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=367c4e4e87ed45c19

If you look at my diary (it's open) and at the details of my weight loss (http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm) I don't think you'll see a marked impact on weight loss.

The ride on 8/21 was different than the others in that I ran a half marathon, grabbed a shower, and then did the 1000 mile ride through the deserts of CA and AZ and back to SoCal. I wore my HRM (Garmin Forerunner 305) during the ride and my HR was 62 BPM which is my standard resting HR.

The weight of the bike is not an issue because, at speed, motorcycles are turned by a slight shift in the body weight, perhaps, and by pushing on the handlebar in the direction you want to turn (it sounds weird but that's actually how it works). Even on my almost 900 pound Goldwing, there's very little effort involved.

Riding motorcycles has a lot of attractions but losing weight faster isn't one of them.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Kind like marking down calories for using a riding mower. But WAY more fun :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What exactly is it that burns the calories whilst sitting on the motorcycle?
    If you have a naked bike, you have to deal with wind resistance. There's also the extra activity of controlling the bike as well as wearing a helmet (they're not light!).

All told, riding a road bike on a street requires very little exertion but it's more than sitting on the living room couch so some folks log it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for that OP. I live in the Arctic where I own an ATV instead of a car. I only log my intense rides out of town, and I definitely get a workout. I've been logging the rides as "riding lawnmower" which makes me LMAO every time. As if I am mowing a lawn for four hours in the Arctic! I suspect my rides are much more strenuous than riding a lawnmower or a street bike.

There's jetskiing and snowmobiling but no motorcycling or atving. Go figure.

Edit: I just used the site and I got exactly the same result as entering for the riding lawnmower. So, I'll continue logging "mowing the grass" for my intense off road rides.... It's good for a laugh anyway, and for me, the joke is never going to get old. LOL

Edit 2: even riding a street bike will burn a lot more calories than sitting on the couch. Riding an ATV off-road, in undeveloped, Arctic conditions IS a real work out; if you haven't done it, then you don't know!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

most everyone here said they would not log it as an actual workout, so maybe that info will help get the panties out of a wad. I find it fascinating that the data is even out there, yet would never log it as an actual exercise.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Riders know. Others just can't understand if they haven't done it. I ride a 650 dual sport, old guy but dirt riding burns my energy. It's like explaining what it's like to be a guy to my wife. She might understand the words I am saying but it's like me saying I "get childbirth". No I don't. I understand it, work in healthcare and have helped with multiple births, but I can't "get it". It's OK. Riders get it.

Well I used to have a bike and I still stand by what I say LMAO
  • evanpdixon
    evanpdixon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stick your hand out of the window of a car going down the interstate and try to hold it still. Yes, that's wind resistance, and yes, that takes physical exertion.

Now, ride a motorcycle down the interstate. You're pushing with your neck and lower back to stay upright as the wind hits you. You push/pull the handlebars to countersteer. You lean into and out of the turns. It is completely different than driving a car or sitting at a desk. Is it a strenuous workout? Not really. Does it burn more calories than you would be burning doing nothing? Yes.

I don't agree with this counting as a workout replacement, and no, I don't think a 30 minute commute to work on a motorcycle is worth logging, but if you do it for several hours at a time, it may be. For someone like me with an almost completely sedentary lifestyle and over 100lbs to lose, it's better than nothing.

Now, offroad/trail riding is a whole new ballgame, and it can be quite a workout.
  • HikinLady
    HikinLady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today I rode my dual sport on 40 miles of dirt trails and I got a tremendous workout. About 40% of the time you are standing off your seat with most of your weight distributed through your quads, constantly shifting your weight side to side, front to back and your core muscles are tensed. Your arms are tired out from fighting rocks, ruts, mud and sand while trying to keep your bike upright and going in the right direction. And picking up the bike after you dump it is not easy for a 54 yo female. And let's not even talk about all the sweating. Will I log this as a workout? You betcha.