Calorie surprises!

Options
Has there ever been a food that surprised you calorie-wise? (Like, you ate something and were surprised when you logged it because it was so insanely high or unexpectedly low?)

Also, has there ever been a food that you discovered you had been consistently logging incorrectly?

Feel free to share your experiences! I've been thinking about this all day and I'm curious!

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Hostess Fruit Pies...I used to love the things, until 2 years ago I turned over the package and saw they are 480 calories each!!!!!!! Holy Smokes! That literally was the last time I ever had one.
  • endsine
    endsine Posts: 7
    Options
    For years, I feasted on nuts thinking it was good for me. I loved the Kirkland Signature Deluxe Mixed Nuts or the various mixed nut offerings from Fresh & Easy and Trader Joe's. I believed that because I was forgoing candy, cakes, and chocolates, etc., I could consume as many nuts as I wanted and feel good about it. After all, they were natural and raw!

Whoops! Tons of calories (mostly from fat.) I have no doubt that raw nuts are superior to a candy bars, etc. But it took MFP to open my eyes to the concept of "servings."

I learned that I was scarfing down anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories of nuts on any given day! That was in addition to whatever I was eating at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

These days if I eat nuts I keep it down to one serving.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    went to arbys today and had a market fresh sandwich. I figured it would be 500 or so....it was 700. Thankfully I had only taken two or three bites when I realized this. I slowed down my eating and stopped after half. I did eat the whole thing, but I made sure I really wanted it and wasn't just eating it because it was there.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    BBQ ribs... they don't have much meat so I expected lower calories.. but the sweet sauce is probably the culprit!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly...fruit! Especially apples and pears usually are at least one and a half times what you'd expect when you weigh them.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, not a healthy food, but, we went to Five Guys last week with my FIL, I figured probably 700-800 cals total. WRONG! A regular (2 patty) burger is 900 cals, and the fries are like 500 for a half serving, crazy. I didnt finish it all because it was just way too much food, but still, what I did finish took like 75% of my cals for the day.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    For years, I feasted on nuts thinking it was good for me. I loved the Kirkland Signature Deluxe Mixed Nuts or the various mixed nut offerings from Fresh & Easy and Trader Joe's. I believed that because I was forgoing candy, cakes, and chocolates, etc., I could consume as many nuts as I wanted and feel good about it. After all, they were natural and raw!

Whoops! Tons of calories (mostly from fat.) I have no doubt that raw nuts are superior to a candy bars, etc. But it took MFP to open my eyes to the concept of "servings."

I learned that I was scarfing down anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories of nuts on any given day! That was in addition to whatever I was eating at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

These days if I eat nuts I keep it down to one serving.

Nuts are high in calories! The serving size is tiny. I was looking at a small snacky pack of various nuts today at the convenience store, turned it over and they were 150 calories per serving, 3 servings per pack. I can't imagine 3 people sharing such a tiny bag. lol. That wouldn't be enough for a hobbit!
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, not a healthy food, but, we went to Five Guys last week with my FIL, I figured probably 700-800 cals total. WRONG! A regular (2 patty) burger is 900 cals, and the fries are like 500 for a half serving, crazy. I didnt finish it all because it was just way too much food, but still, what I did finish took like 75% of my cals for the day.

I haven't had any burgers in 6 weeks (well besides veg ones). I am going to Chicago in a month and I usually get Five Guys when I am there. They are also opening 2 stores where I live soon. Why oh why must temptation be everywhere! LOL
  • JJPAL1
    JJPAL1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ate at Mimi's cafe last week.. Thought I would order a salad, OH, my choice of a muffin comes with it. So ordered a carrot raisin muffin. Looked up the calories on MFP,holly ,molly 600 calories. Well, didn't eat it all. Got to be careful!
  • Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Uh, raisins! 1/4 cup is 140 calories. I was thinking like maybe 70 for a half cup. Needless to say, I'm not mindlessly popping them in my mouth.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    i love starbucks and would get a White Chocolate Mocha (grande ) - i read once that they were high but never looked into it until I hopped back on the calorie counting train = 470 calories!! and I would have 1-2 per week - i've switched to non-fat caramel machiattos for 190 calories - still get my fix but cut the calories in half!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i just ate a packet of kale chips - who knew that something that was ade from kale and put in the oven with a bit of oil could be so costly!!!
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    i love starbucks and would get a White Chocolate Mocha (grande ) - i read once that they were high but never looked into it until I hopped back on the calorie counting train = 470 calories!! and I would have 1-2 per week - i've switched to non-fat caramel machiattos for 190 calories - still get my fix but cut the calories in half!

Yeah, I love all those different Frappachinos, but they are so high in calories. I was glad when they added Mocha Light to the menu because a grande is just 130 calories and just as yummy as the others. :)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    i just ate a packet of kale chips - who knew that something that was ade from kale and put in the oven with a bit of oil could be so costly!!!

Maybe try making them yourself so you can cut back on the oil used.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    TGI Fridays.....I can't get out of there with less than 900 calories even with broccoli as both sides. I should only eat half my plate....

shirataki noodles never cease to amaze me
  • ncbill
    ncbill Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Avocados, I used to eat one a day, I still try to split one during the week, they're supposed to really good for you
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    poptarts.. I used to eat them every morning for breakfast. 400 calories a pack!
    and how the hell is 2 (double stuf) oreos a serving? I would sit and eat a dozen at a time with a huge glass of milk.. 70 calories each plus 16+ oz of milk.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    PopTarts!! I lived on those as a kid. No wonder I was huge!!!!!!!!! And the frozen toasted pastry is worse.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    TGI Fridays.....I can't get out of there with less than 900 calories even with broccoli as both sides. I should only eat half my plate....

Truth! If I go, I get the 10oz sirlion, broccoli, and veg medley. 760 calories isn't too bad but holy hell the sodium is outrageous.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Jinks!! lol