Food Scales, Need or not???

Options

Replies

• marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Essential on some foods and measuring spoon for oils. I don't bother with lettuce though.......LOL
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I love my scale.
    It saves me dishes to wash when I cook certain things.
    I would vote yes on getting one.
    They are really not expensive.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Every time I climb on the food scale it breaks....just sayin
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I recommend one that does both ounces and grams. :) It will be really useful. Also, you'll want several one cup measures and tablespoons and the rest. I've found myself using them like crazy.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just guess. I don't have the time or money to waste on something like that personally. Whatever I'm doing is working, so no complaints from me.
  • happythermia
    Options
    YOU NEED A FOOD SCALE! lol It seriously changed my life
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need a scale. Otherwise, you have no real idea how much you're eating.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the type of scale that I weigh the food, then put in a specific code of the food and it tells me the calories for that food too. It is awesome!! I use it to weigh food, but for fresh food, like bananas and potatoes, they vary in weight and calories so easily. I have had bananas that are as little as 70 calories and others 130 calories......it was $80 and have had it for almost 2 yrs now! the best thing ever!!! Besides Insanity! LOL!!
  • julieann218
    Options
    Most definetly!!! You can over estimate so easily and wind up eating more calories than you realize. I always use a scale to measure lunch meat, chicken, hamburger, etc.
  • Alish1974
    Alish1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel that you easily can and will lie to yourself when you don't have a food scale. I have the biggest looser scale and feel that it ones one of my best purchases.
  • jrob454960
    jrob454960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone here! I didn't realize how much I was overestimating a portion until I started weighing everything. It is a great tool in this weight loss journey we all are on.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I would be lost without my food scale. How are you supposed to know what you're eating otherwise? Best 20 bucks I spent. Way better to weigh your food too much than to obsess about why your weight has fluctuated because you weigh your body every day.
  • Spiritwolfsings
    Options
    An absolute must! Proper portion sizes are critical if you are trying to relearn healthy eating habits and lose weight. I don't think I could have done as well as I have without my food scale.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think having one is essential for scratch cooking.
    At the end of the day, you're here logging in what you eat, why not make sure you have it down to the last gram? I just see it as another way of keeping myself accountable.
    I also use a little notepad to keep track of ingredients and little snacks throughout the day....right next to the scales!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    SOOO helpful. When i first started using it it was just for accurate tracking. I'd set my cereal bowl on the scale then add how ever much cereal I wanted and record it then add my milk and record it.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...at least for me. I *like to* overestimate pasta...*sigh* it's on of my weaknesses...pasta, not overestimating. Plus, I am still amazed at how small or large a 'serving' of something is when it's precisely measured.
  • determined_01
    Options
    YES YES YES!!! No guessing or "eye balling" portions. I found that I have way way off on what I thought was a tablespoon or a cup. If you are truly serious about your MFP experience a scale is a must!
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, yes! Weigh everything! You can get a food scale at Wal-Mart for $5.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    To be quite honest I have been eating healthy and exercising for 5 months and really don't need a scale but everyone is different and you might want to use one if you are not sure of your portion sizes. it can never hurt to have them on hand. I just prefer not to.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Need it if your counting calories. :smile: