Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    The key is to be well rounded: cardio, strength, flexibility, and diet. It's all very important.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are the real fat burner...

Fixed for you. I heard about it on Dr. Oz.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat

no
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...

Said another way:

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important. Too many focus on just cardio.

Eating less is what makes you lose fat. You can't burn off eating too much with exercise. Most people don't realize they eat more than they need and it builds up over the years. We live with an over abundance of food and lack of exercise and everyone looking for the magic pill.

Strength training is important for keeping your lean body mass and especially for women keeping you from getting osteoporosis.

Girls are afraid of gaining muscle. We don't have the hormones to get big so do not worry, you won't get big if you don't do steriods. I am a perfect example. I lift heavy but I am still feminine, and my 51.5 year old bones are that of a super atletic 30 year old according to the DXA bone density test. No worry about osteoporosis in my future.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Eat less......move more.................. done
  • 4My40th
    4My40th Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know BUT I HATE the cardio & love the strength training. I would love to know.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. Nutrition is a vita component. It's not just about cutting calories, it's about the quality of what you consume too.
    2. Cardio and Strength Training are both vital. Combine the two with a Kettlebell workout. Bingo.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Yes diet is 80% of it. But studies have also shown that people who add strength training to their exercise routine burn more fat/calories than doing cardio alone. Part of this is because you are doing more(?) and the other part is that you are building muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat.

How much muscle do you think is being built in the midst of a consistent caloric deficit?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Not much, but some. More than anything strength training will help prevent some muscle loss. I've been on a consistent caloric deficit for two months now, but I am able to lift more than when I started. I'm not increasing reps/sets/weights rapidly, but I am increasing them.

If you are just starting lifting you are getting stronger because you are mostly becoming more efficient at lifting the weight, not because you are building more muscle.
  • Plates559
    Options
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

wrong they are purple, and weigh about half of what a purse weighs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The key is to be well rounded: cardio, strength, flexibility, and diet. It's all very important.

Yes, this ^^ You don't have to do all to lose weight, but these are your best bets for overall health and fitness.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I would much rather be losing weight while strength training than losing weight doing just cardio or diet....

I'll just say that from personal experience.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are the real fat burner...

Fixed for you. I heard about it on Dr. Oz.

Don't forget about the ketones! You can never forget about the raspberry ketones!
  • AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then we can agree that different people reach success by different approaches?
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Success to weight loss in order of importance:

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio

AGREE!
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Perhaps then we can agree that different people reach success by different approaches?

I would prefer to agree that different people have different definitions of "success"
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

I would prefer to agree that different people have different definitions of "success"

+1

I lost 50 lbs with just cardio - am I successful? Nope - I'm not done yet - Strength training is where I need to go now, and I'm well on my way to becoming a success because of it.

Does this need to be the formula for everyone - heck no! it all depends on what your goals are.
  • Plates559
    Options

Yeah different definitions of success.

Like others see success as "I've dropped 5 pounds"

I see success as "I am now more physically capable of doing specific tasks, and since I'm lighter I can do them faster."